100 ounce Silver Bars

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: 100 ounce Silver Bars

Postby PennyBoy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:29 am

knibloe wrote:If you want one, ignore the nays sayers and go for it.

+ 1,000,000

If you want one and can get one, go for it!

Although you should make one yourself if you can. Then post pics, please?
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby justj2k78 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:39 am

On a side note - when are the "new" Rodebaugh 1 oz ingots hitting the market?? I need one for my keeper collection, to go with it's older brother, #30!
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:43 am

I have held 1000/oz silver and gold bars in my hands. It is quite an experience, especially the gold bar. I felt like Oddjob was about to appear out of nowhere and give me a karate chop.

Barring (pun intended) the novelty factor, I ask this simple question: When silver hits the $200, $300, even $500/oz, who is going to be able to liquidate a 100/1000 oz bar in a SHTF scenario? Maybe you could buy a block of real estate or an apartment bulding with it.

I'm not trying to instigate holders of large bars, I'm just curious as to what your plan is.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:54 am

100oz bars are ok. A few things you have to think about.

#1 is liquidity. Do you live near a coin shop, dealer, or whatever that can drop several thousand on bullion? My guess would be yes because for most dealers that is a "smaller" transaction. If no than you have to think about where you are gonna "cash it in" when you are needed.

#2 When you sell is there going to be any question of if its drilled and filled? I agree with Nickelmiester that the reports of fake bars are over exaggerated BUT I have personally held and seen a fake 100oz bar that was brought into a LCS. If the person you sell to starts moaning and groaning about the bar they may pay you spot minus $1 instead of spot.

#3 (This one only applies to you Rodebaugh) We know how much you like to build forts and stuff with your army men. A 100oz bar will be an impenetrable obkect for your small army men to get though...also you can't break up the bar to stack and create severel barriers for ;) ;) :D
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:56 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:I have held 1000/oz silver and gold bars in my hands. It is quite an experience, especially the gold bar. I felt like Oddjob was about to appear out of nowhere and give me a karate chop.

Barring (pun intended) the novelty factor, I ask this simple question: When silver hits the $200, $300, even $500/oz, who is going to be able to liquidate a 100/1000 oz bar in a SHTF scenario? Maybe you could buy a block of real estate or an apartment bulding with it.

I'm not trying to instigate holders of large bars, I'm just curious as to what your plan is.

They don't reguarlly make 1000oz gold bars. The standard in gold is 400 ounces....
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:27 am

If you are worried about being scammed with fakes, or if anyone will buy them back, here are a few suggestions I would make.

First, know exactly who you are buying from. Have a well established relationship with that person.

Second, ask point blank if they will buy it back if you ever have to sell. If the answer is "no", walk away. If "yes", copy the bar numbers and take photos. If you have the right relationship, this is not a turn off.

Third, if you are still wary, learn the tricks of the trade on how to discern a fake.

Fourth, buying large is a loooong term commitment. Be prepared to have to pay for an assay of your large bars. If you hold it long enough, the price should go up enough for you to pay the assay and still make a profit (in terms of depreciating FRN's).

I get the best buy-back prices for ASE's, not bars. Still, if you find bars at good prices... BUY, BUY, BUY!! ;)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:51 am

I have one, and like how compact it is. However, the mold was cold when it was cast so it looks "cold soldered" with an upleasing granularity to that part of the bar. Granularity that might allow chemical changes if the bar gets dirty in storage, a problem for me.

The liquidity problem (post SHTF) also bothers me. I'm considering swapping it for about 100 rounds or an equivelant amount of 90%.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:02 pm

I'd like to have one, just to say I did. I like the idea of them being stackable, but that's predicated on the idea of ever being able to afford more than one!

Love the doorstop idea!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:09 pm

rexmerdinus wrote: I'd Love the doorstop idea!

Mention what it is in your will.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:14 pm

highroller4321 wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:I have held 1000/oz silver and gold bars in my hands. It is quite an experience, especially the gold bar. I felt like Oddjob was about to appear out of nowhere and give me a karate chop.

They don't reguarlly make 1000oz gold bars. The standard in gold is 400 ounces....

This was about 25 years ago. My uncle was in the biz and had contacts with bullion dealers and smelters. The gold bars were bricks, not sure what the oz were, but they were very large and heavy. I remember him being quite concerned that I might drop them.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:24 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:

This was about 25 years ago. My uncle was in the biz and had contacts with bullion dealers and smelters. The gold bars were bricks, not sure what the oz were, but they were very large and heavy. I remember him being quite concerned that I might drop them.

Silver 1000oz bar weights a little under 70lbs! so that was probably his concerned.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby SteelCityCopper » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:00 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:
Thogey wrote:Why do want 100oz bars?

I don't have one......never had one......always wanted one.
I'm not looking to buy one tomorrow......just looking them over for when the time is right.

BTW, your little "loafs" of silver really reminded me of the old Englehard ten ounce loafs. They are collector items now. ;)

I was thinking the same thing! The little 10toz Englehard loafs are nice looking and very unique.
Jason
- JPM doesn't determine our prices, the market does -
Steel City Copper
http://www.steelcitycopper.com
SteelCityCopper
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Delawhere Jack » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:25 pm

I've got a JM 100 oz "loaf". I didn't want it, but that was what they sent me years ago when I pulled my Kitco pool silver. It's not very nice to look at, (can I say fugly on RC?). It's still 100 oz regardless.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:13 pm

Delawhere Jack wrote:I've got a JM 100 oz "loaf". I didn't want it, but that was what they sent me years ago when I pulled my Kitco pool silver. It's not very nice to look at, (can I say fugly on RC?). It's still 100 oz regardless.

Post a pic......I think they look nice :)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Ugly... I wouldn't call it ugly. Functional, solid. I've got a 100 oz JM, gotten from someone here (forgot who, would have to look at my notes). I can't get to it quickly or I would post one.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby GTOJohn » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:17 am

i've bought the JM 100 oz bars before - there was less to think about when silver was $10 an oz!
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals