Ordering from Brinks/Loomis

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Ordering from Brinks/Loomis

Postby NHsorter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:06 pm

Does anyone here know the cost involved? I guess I could just pick up the phone and call, but I figure that the more I know before I contact them the better off I will be. I have a regular place of business. We don't really deal with any cash. We are a B2B so it's all checks and transfers. But Brinks does not need to know that. If I call them up for a business account or whatever, does anyone know what they charge for coin delivery and how the process works? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to give out any trade secrets on a public thread.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Ordering from Brinks/Loomis

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:22 pm

You will be charged a lot of fees! Delivery fee, fuel surchage fee, coin free, 5-12 cents PER roll of coin fee, maybe a box free, ect ect ect.

If you want them to pick up stuff you will be charged a lot of the same frees plus a processing free.

There are a ton of fees. You can look into it but unless you are doing this on a larger scale it probably doesn't pay for itsself. Also unless its a business address they probably won't deliver.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby NHsorter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:03 pm

It is a business address. I was even thinking that I could just do a one time bulk order for say 100 boxes just to supplement my weekly orders. When there is a rainy week here, I tend to run out of stuff to sort pretty quick. But it sounds like I should try to find another cheaper option for loading up... dang.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:23 pm

NHsorter wrote:It is a business address. I was even thinking that I could just do a one time bulk order for say 100 boxes just to supplement my weekly orders. When there is a rainy week here, I tend to run out of stuff to sort pretty quick. But it sounds like I should try to find another cheaper option for loading up... dang.

They will want at least a once a week contract....

If you want just a 1 time delivery it will be considered a "special" and than you are talking a lot more $$$$$
Last edited by highroller4321 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby NHsorter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:37 pm

thanks for saving me a phone call :cry:
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ed_vantage17 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:51 pm

I called an armored carrier about a month ago asking about bags. They got back to me with $35-$50 to pick up or deliver each time plus $2.50 per bag picked up or delivered. Not cost effective for me.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:11 am

ed_vantage17 wrote:I called an armored carrier about a month ago asking about bags. They got back to me with $35-$50 to pick up or deliver each time plus $2.50 per bag picked up or delivered. Not cost effective for me.

Thats actually pretty cheap for the pickup.....about right for the bag charge.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby JobIII » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:26 am

HR,

You should set-up franchises in different regions of the US.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:27 am

JobIII wrote:HR,

You should set-up franchises in different regions of the US.

You aren't the first one to bring that up ;)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby JobIII » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:34 am

Start-ups at major stores can be into the 100k's. Not a bad cash injection if you're willing to risk the company name and trade secrets...
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby ed_vantage17 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:28 pm

highroller4321 wrote:
ed_vantage17 wrote:I called an armored carrier about a month ago asking about bags. They got back to me with $35-$50 to pick up or deliver each time plus $2.50 per bag picked up or delivered. Not cost effective for me.

This was through Dunbar. I don't know if you got them out there (or even if it matters to you). Also the most they could do for me was $5000 per week delivery. I'm not that big (yet), but I'm costing out various methods. I'm still working on some stuff and I figure as I learn more and grow, I won't be as forthcoming with information. ;)
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:12 pm

Well I implore you to please spill the beans now before you learn too much to share! :D
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:01 am

ed_vantage17 wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:

This was through Dunbar. I don't know if you got them out there (or even if it matters to you). Also the most they could do for me was $5000 per week delivery. I'm not that big (yet), but I'm costing out various methods. I'm still working on some stuff and I figure as I learn more and grow, I won't be as forthcoming with information. ;)

Given all the information above i'm not so sure this system would be cost effective.

pick-up / delivery - $50
$5000 (100 bags) - $250
$3750 (75 bags returned @25% Cu) - $187.5
====================================
Total = $487.5 (for $5000 delivered and zincs returned)*
*not including cost of bags, etc.

You would yield $1250 in Cu. If you were to sell it at 1.5xface ($1875) you'd earn $137.5*.
*not considering the costs for shipping supplies, etc.

I think it depends on when you plan on selling it, your cash overhead, and maybe the sorting devices you currently possess. Though if you have a large cash overhead sorting and selling would take a back seat and this option could net you over $65k in Cu in one year. But for a fee of just over $25k. Which would be like paying 1.39xface for Cu cents, and spending a lot of your time doing it.

~JobIII
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:16 am

I figured that is was probably not worthwhile, but that it would not hurt to ask. I have been striking out hard with every bank that I can find around here in respect to trying to acquire bags. I am trying hard to find a good source. I have a few banks that are happy to order me boxes, but I don't want to ask them for too many boxes and sour the relationship and I also an sick of unwrapping rolls and would prefer the slit and pour method.

WANTED: Information leading to the arrest and conviction of a source of loose cents in my area.
REWARD: Silver
PLEASE CONTACT: NHsorter via PM :lol:
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby adagirl » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:47 am

:lol:
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:06 am

ed_vantage17 wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:

Dunbar is not out in Oregon. Its one of the few states they aren't in.

Its very weird they have a limit per week. I know they have a weight limit on the truck but strange you had an overall limit.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby ed_vantage17 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:42 pm

Yeah, I figured it wasn't cost effective. I use two benchmarks to figure overall profitability of sorting/selling. Namely, 25% Cu (I actually get closer to 30% but I think it's good to lowball this figure) and 10% adjusted ROI (Sorting $1000 will net me a $100 profit after all costs like shipping, paypal, eBay fees (sometimes) are factored in.) I'm currently working on building a customer base outside of eBay so that helps and I get enough bags from a credit union to fit my needs right now.

My realcent feedback.

ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:57 am

I don't suppose they'd go for a one-time pickup, by you, at their location?
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby mishra142 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:22 am

I actually called brinks the other day and asked if I (as a normal person not a bank/business) could buy boxes from them and pick them up. They flat out told me no.
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby adagirl » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:43 am

mishra142 wrote:I actually called brinks the other day and asked if I (as a normal person not a bank/business) could buy boxes from them and pick them up. They flat out told me no.

wow. I guess it is due to security measures perhaps?? When they deliver they have some degree of control over what they are doing whereas some random dude showing up at their place.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:24 am

adagirl wrote:
mishra142 wrote:I actually called brinks the other day and asked if I (as a normal person not a bank/business) could buy boxes from them and pick them up. They flat out told me no.

wow. I guess it is due to security measures perhaps?? When they deliver they have some degree of control over what they are doing whereas some random dude showing up at their place.

If you had several million dollars in your home would you let a complete stranger come in and pick up a few bucks? :shock:
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby adagirl » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:36 am

hell no I wouldn't
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby mishra142 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:04 am

I've never been to a brinks facility but I kinda thought they would have some sort of "lobby" area. That I could stop in and talk to someone to pick up a few boxes (being charged a fee of course) Wishful thinking i guess.
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby adagirl » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:11 am

mishra142 wrote:I've never been to a brinks facility but I kinda thought they would have some sort of "lobby" area. That I could stop in and talk to someone to pick up a few boxes (being charged a fee of course) Wishful thinking i guess.

that sure would be nice. I think it really comes down to security concerns on their part, lobby or no lobby. And then they have to pay someone to man the lobby. Like HR said 'if you had millions in your house' you probably just want to keep things as secret as possible and keep the general public out.

Never-the-less it sure would be much easier on us to pick up what we needed from them vs. dealing with banks.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:40 am

NHsorter wrote:I figured that is was probably not worthwhile, but that it would not hurt to ask. I have been striking out hard with every bank that I can find around here in respect to trying to acquire bags. I am trying hard to find a good source. I have a few banks that are happy to order me boxes, but I don't want to ask them for too many boxes and sour the relationship and I also an sick of unwrapping rolls and would prefer the slit and pour method.

WANTED: Information leading to the arrest and conviction of a source of loose cents in my area.
REWARD: Silver
PLEASE CONTACT: NHsorter via PM :lol:

All you need is a Rollcracker 1000! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing