Bank Of America banking issues

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Bank Of America banking issues

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:20 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:here is what is going on.

the beloved Dodd Frank law had something called the Durbin amendment in it. It basically caps the fees that banks can charge merchants for debit card transactions. a little history is needed.

in the late 60s and early 70s, banks created credit cards and then spun these off into Visa and MasterCard. merchants pay fees to accept these, and a good portion goes to Visa and Mastercard.

Next the banks invented a new system - the debit card. it has completely different plumbing and is basically owned by the banks, not visa or MC. that is why the banks had pushed debit over credit.

debit used to be profitable for banks becuase of the fees charged to merchants who accepted it. those profits subsidized free checking,etc. congress changed the rules, the merchants benefit, and you lose.

everyone is going to start charging in some way for debit. this is not limited to bank of america, they just might have been first.

as for their website, i'm not sure why they are having problems. their stock has plummeted and their are rumors about their solvency. personally, i would not bank with them. 99% chance you are ok even if they fail, but you could end up with a lot of hassles and even if they were financially in great condition their website issues would cause me to move my accounts.

if they do fail it will get real interesting because they are commonly considered too big to fail. they are huge. they have 10% + of U.S. deposits. what would make the most sense would be to break them up but that is very hard to do.

I dont think that number is nearly that high. Its well known the FDIC can only cover like 25% of what it insures. With all the banks that fail every day I think that number is even less than that! BOA has always been a "bad" bank. As soon as they started offering credit cards to illegal aliens I knew they were hurting. The average person would be protected but I don't think all the other banks are going to be able to handle all the bad debt BOA has.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:15 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/10/durbin-to-bank-of-america-customers-get-the-heck-out-of-that-bank/

By the way, if you have a BOA credit card that earns points, you can convert them to US$. I just exchanged my 70,000 points for $660. Cha-ching!
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:32 pm

todays message..

We're sorry, our site is running slowly.
As a result, you may experience delays or have difficulty accessing parts of bankofamerica.com, including Online Banking.
We're actively working to resolve these issues. You may wish to defer your transaction until a non-peak time.
If it's convenient, we invite you to conduct your banking business at a banking center or ATM.
Otherwise, you may continue to Online Banking. We do apologize in advance if you experience any delay or difficulty accessing the site.

Thank you for your patience.
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:29 pm

highroller4321 wrote:

the beloved Dodd Frank law had something called the Durbin amendment in it. It basically caps the fees that banks can charge merchants for debit card transactions. a little history is needed.

in the late 60s and early 70s, banks created credit cards and then spun these off into Visa and MasterCard. merchants pay fees to accept these, and a good portion goes to Visa and Mastercard.

Next the banks invented a new system - the debit card. it has completely different plumbing and is basically owned by the banks, not visa or MC. that is why the banks had pushed debit over credit.

debit used to be profitable for banks becuase of the fees charged to merchants who accepted it. those profits subsidized free checking,etc. congress changed the rules, the merchants benefit, and you lose.

everyone is going to start charging in some way for debit. this is not limited to bank of america, they just might have been first.

as for their website, i'm not sure why they are having problems. their stock has plummeted and their are rumors about their solvency. personally, i would not bank with them. 99% chance you are ok even if they fail, but you could end up with a lot of hassles and even if they were financially in great condition their website issues would cause me to move my accounts.

if they do fail it will get real interesting because they are commonly considered too big to fail. they are huge. they have 10% + of U.S. deposits. what would make the most sense would be to break them up but that is very hard to do.

I dont think that number is nearly that high. Its well known the FDIC can only cover like 25% of what it insures. With all the banks that fail every day I think that number is even less than that! BOA has always been a "bad" bank. As soon as they started offering credit cards to illegal aliens I knew they were hurting. The average person would be protected but I don't think all the other banks are going to be able to handle all the bad debt BOA has.

you don't think what number is that high? 99%? my guess is based on deposit insurance and the government printing press, not anything meritorious about BofA. but it just a wild guess by me.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:35 pm

hackers is as good a guess as anything. still, i would want to bank with an outfit that can't fend off hackers.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:37 pm

hobo finds wrote:todays message..

We're sorry, our site is running slowly.
As a result, you may experience delays or have difficulty accessing parts of bankofamerica.com, including Online Banking.
We're actively working to resolve these issues. You may wish to defer your transaction until a non-peak time.
If it's convenient, we invite you to conduct your banking business at a banking center or ATM.
Otherwise, you may continue to Online Banking. We do apologize in advance if you experience any delay or difficulty accessing the site.

Thank you for your patience.

3 days in a row now? I expect an announcement soon... a merger, a bailout or an all out failure. Something is up.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:

you don't think what number is that high? 99%? my guess is based on deposit insurance and the government printing press, not anything meritorious about BofA. but it just a wild guess by me.

FDIC insurance is one of the biggest ponzi like schemes out there. It is false protection! In there publicly stated numbers they can only cover maybe 25% of all deposites out there.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:18 am

FDIC insurance is a ponzi scheme but as far as risks its much smaller than you think. if BAC goes bust, there is an excellent chance the UST prints money to cover the losses. you may have delays, but losses on DEPOSITS are unlikely. Of course, you get repaid with FRNs or their electronic equivalent, which is appropriate because that is what you deposited, but its the FRNs themselves that are the true risk and true ponzi scheme.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rexmerdinus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:57 am

Hmmm...Was still able to log on to my credit card account. I guess they're fine on the "people who owe us money" side of the house (yeah, I'm not one of those, since I never carry a balance). I suppose I'd better cash out all the points I've "earned."
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hades12 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:50 am

tried to log into our CC acount this morning an could not get in.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:57 am

Hades12 wrote:tried to log into our CC acount this morning an could not get in.

I have trouble too, but when I go to BoA's website I get the following. There is a link that should take you there:
Welcome to bankofamerica.com

We value your business and appreciate your continued patience. Most of our site is working normally, but you may experience occasional delays.

Continue to Online Banking

The "Online Banking" link should take you where you need to go.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:01 am

This is not a computer glitch, it's clearly being done on purpose.

My recommendation... go to the local branch and withdrawl ALL of your money NOW.

Phuck Bank of America and the rest of these criminal banksters.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Hades12 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:13 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

This is not a computer glitch, it's clearly being done on purpose.

My recommendation... go to the local branch and withdrawl ALL of your money NOW.

Phuck Bank of America and the rest of these criminal banksters.

I don't have any money there, just some debt. I was puckered up a bit when Wachovia was going down as all my money was in there.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:46 pm

Your mouth or your spincter? :lol:
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals