New Bank wanted my SSN# just to buy 4 dime rolls

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

New Bank wanted my SSN# just to buy 4 dime rolls

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:49 am

Wow, just when I thought I had seen it all! So I'm doing some bank runs and buying some CWR's so that I have something to sort tonight and I decide to hit up a new bank (not a CU). Anyway, so I first try to act like I have an account there and I asked for customer wrapped dimes (not plastic dimes), halves etc. They didn't know what I meant and I had to explain it to them and that I have coin albums for me and the nephews etc. Then she proceeds to fill out a form and the supervisor had to explain to her on how to fill out it, plus how to fill out the other form just to go to the vault and get the dimes etc (they didn't have much coin upfront). They returned from the vault with four rolls of dimes. So the teller said that she'll need to see my driver's license, since it's a non-customer transaction. I can't argue with her there, so I give her my DL. Then the supervisor said to the teller that you'll have to get the social security number on the same form , since it's a non-customer sale etc. She asks for my social security number.

That's when I stop and politely but firmly say sorry, but that's way too invasive government regulation and too much banking regulation on behalf of your bank. I tell her that it's just like going to Wal-Mart or 7-11 and buying something and paying cash for it, in that I am not required to give out my social security number when I buy something! She could see my point, but said sorry, but it's the rules here. I tell her that I know it's not her fault, but do instruct her to pass along my comment/complaint to the management. I push back the dimes to her and she hands me back my 20 FRN's. I tell her to please destroy the piece of paper with my DL number on it and she says no problem.

Can you f^&*(n believe it??? I'm still stunned, an hour after the fact.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: New Bank wanted my SSN# just to buy 4 dime rolls

Postby Pennybug » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:13 am

"And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the NUMBER OF HIS NAME." Revelation 13:17 KJV. Believe it my friend. It is Biblical.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:28 am

My ss# would have been 444-55-6677. They want to ask for stupid info, I'll give it to them.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:31 am

I'll keep Obama's SS# written down in my wallet in case someone asks. It is a 100% legit SS# of a real natural born citizen so there should be no problem.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:45 am

NHsorter wrote:I'll keep Obama's SS# written down in my wallet in case someone asks. It is a 100% legit SS# of a real natural born citizen so there should be no problem.

:twisted: ____ :twisted: ____ :twisted: ____ :twisted: ____ :twisted: ____ :twisted:____ :twisted: ____ :twisted: ____ :twisted: ____ :twisted:
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:05 pm

NHsorter wrote:I'll keep Obama's SS# written down in my wallet in case someone asks. It is a 100% legit SS# of a real natural born citizen so there should be no problem.

Awesome!
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Not for nothin', but using someone else's number, even for something stupid and for which it shouldn't be asked, is a form of identity theft. And if you think BHO's isn't flagged in all the systems that constantly survveil us, well, good luck with that! You'd be less likely to get arrested if there were a simple mistake on a single digit of your own #--like a pen failure that made a 7 look like a 1--or if the teller were unable to read it because of an ink smear or something. Heaven forbid you wrote random digits down and the numbers just happened to correspond to those of a money-launderer or terrorist on some watch-list.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:28 pm

Rex, are you not aware that Obama's SSN of record has already been discovered to be false? If someone is nailed for using it on the basis of your complaint, and Obama not charged, well, there's loads of lawyers lined up to take such a case.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:47 pm

HPMBTT wrote:Can you f^&*(n believe it??? I'm still stunned, an hour after the fact.

yes i do believe it....thats why it might be getting nigh to time, that we abide the old WW2 slogan, "loose lips sink ships". i want to say more, but i dont wanna stir up trouble.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby fb101 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:57 pm

isn't there some law which says you don't have to give out your SSN to just anybody?

Anyway, if they're taking your personal information, by law they have to supply you with a privacy notice
the one that tells you who they share your information with etc.....
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hobo finds » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:02 pm

You were only exchangeing dollars for coins. Not sure why all the info needed. They may do this just to run off all the crazy coin guys! :lol:
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:53 pm

HPMBTT wrote:I tell her that I know it's not her fault, but do instruct her to pass along my comment/complaint to the management.

Typical entitlement customer bull[excrement].

One of two things will happen:

1. The teller will just ignore it, gossip behind you as being "that guy."
2. It stops at the bank manager and goes no further.

If you REALLY feel angry about this, you need to get the Bank President's phone # or email addy and fire off a complaint that way. Telling some rank and file worker isn't gonna get results.

"But it's the principle of the thing!"

bull[excrement]. Either you do a little legwork and get results, or you keep on thinking Miss Petite Teller Girl is gonan change the word, when she isn't.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:13 pm

You gave them your lic and SS#, sorry, too late now... you're now on the terrorist watch list for requesting 4 rolls of clad dimes.

Banks will fail sooner or later. Fractional reserve banking and fiat currency have sealed their fate. Jackpot question is... when will they fail?
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby rexmerdinus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:24 pm

Yeah, I know about the Top Dog's SSN thing, and logic says you're absolutely right, but do you think all the lawyers lined up around the block, even if they work pro bono, are going to trump whatever he could bring to bear--not even necessarily in court? You SURE you wanna open that can of worms?
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby HPMBTT » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:45 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:You gave them your lic and SS#, sorry, too late now... you're now on the terrorist watch list for requesting 4 rolls of clad dimes.

Banks will fail sooner or later. Fractional reserve banking and fiat currency have sealed their fate. Jackpot question is... when will they fail?

Well...I'll never know if they were clad dimes or Ag dimes, will I?? With my luck, they were probably complete silver dime rolls. :(
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals