Article on shorts covering on Silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Article on shorts covering on Silver

Postby Hades12 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:45 pm

Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Re: Article on shorts covering on Silver

Postby barrytrot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Interesting information, but the author of the article makes the wrong assumption that this is "bullish". He points out that ALL net positions in silver are way down. That's not "bullish".

Most authors aren't good analysts. And, as it turns out, most analysts are also not good analysts :)
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:05 pm

Believe his point, right or wrong, is that the big institutions that have been short for decades are now moving long, and if so, it is THAT change which is bullish.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Mossy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:07 pm

They are bullish on being bears?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:11 pm

68Camaro wrote:Believe his point, right or wrong, is that the big institutions that have been short for decades are now moving long, and if so, it is THAT change which is bullish.

Again a flaw in the writers logic. He showed how short contracts are less AND long contracts are LESS. I.e. he had REAL DATA.

Then he jumps to a conclusion completely unsupported by the data. As 99% of writers and analysts tend to do.

Think about it: People that were short silver don't instantly turn long. Some do but you must assume that were short silver and no longer are just shift to something else.
barrytrot

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:48 pm

He has data indicating shorts are ending their short positions. Which is interesting.

He has no data to support shorts turning long; ah, but he doesn't claim to. He merely makes an observation of what might be, and why it would be a good position for them to take.

There is no flaw in the logic, because it isn't logic. It is supposition. You can argue it is flawed supposition, which is common, but it isn't illogical.

Not to pick nits...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby barrytrot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:55 pm

68Camaro wrote:He has data indicating shorts are ending their short positions. Which is interesting.

He has no data to support shorts turning long; ah, but he doesn't claim to. He merely makes an observation of what might be, and why it would be a good position for them to take.

There is no flaw in the logic, because it isn't logic. It is supposition. You can argue it is flawed supposition, which is common, but it isn't illogical.

Not to pick nits...

Ok. In either case, he's wrong, and it's obvious he is by just reading his own article :)
barrytrot

Postby Robarons » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Barry just wants to create negative sediment so he can drive the price of silver down to buy more silver.

Crafty fellow isnt he?
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:00 pm

Robarons wrote:Barry just wants to create negative sediment so he can drive the price of silver down to buy more silver.

Crafty fellow isnt he?

I don't see this forum being a place where that would even be possible :)

And, I like silver oscillating the 29 to 32 range. There is a ton of low risk money to be gained if it keeps doing that!
barrytrot

Postby Robarons » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:03 pm

Like Ross Perot once said 'there is a giant sucking sound in Georgia sucking up the silver'
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:10 pm

Robarons wrote:Like Ross Perot once said 'there is a giant sucking sound in Georgia sucking up the silver'

Man do I wish that were true :)

I would love to be piling it fast and furiously. But, instead I'm just inching along. At least it's forward though :)
barrytrot

Postby beauanderos » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:17 pm

barrytrot wrote:
Robarons wrote:Like Ross Perot once said 'there is a giant sucking sound in Georgia sucking up the silver'

Man do I wish that were true :)

I would love to be piling it fast and furiously. But, instead I'm just inching along. At least it's forward though :)

Inching along? One monster box at a time? Dang, wish I had inches like that :oops:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby barrytrot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:19 pm

beauanderos wrote:Inching along? One monster box at a time? Dang, wish I had inches like that :oops:

I kept (am keeping) 0 rolls out of the 2 boxes ordered on Monday. All for the forum and my brother.
barrytrot

Postby Robarons » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:35 pm

One of these days were going to find out that Barry owns all the KFC franchises in the South and was a millionaire who liked pennies

You wait
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:38 pm

Robarons wrote:One of these days were going to find out that Barry owns all the KFC franchises in the South and was a millionaire who liked pennies

You wait

Call me Gus.
barrytrot

Postby Robarons » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:39 pm

You hiding silver in those buckets of sauce and seasonings?
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals