silver jewlery

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

silver jewlery

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:16 pm

Is there anything special I need to know about buying silver jewlery? How do I know it is not just silver plated? Should I expect to pay less for silver jewlery than junk silver coins?

Thanks to everyone here for getting me into hoarding silver and answering all my dumb questions. I think I am going to start giving silver coins as birthday gifts to my younger sisters (15,19). Even if they do not enfoy them now they will in 20 years
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Re: silver jewlery

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:05 pm

stonewallrabbitry wrote:Is there anything special I need to know about buying silver jewlery? How do I know it is not just silver plated? Should I expect to pay less for silver jewlery than junk silver coins?

Thanks to everyone here for getting me into hoarding silver and answering all my dumb questions. I think I am going to start giving silver coins as birthday gifts to my younger sisters (15,19). Even if they do not enfoy them now they will in 20 years

There are lots of posts covering this both here and in the Scrap Metal Section.... Here's the cliffnotes. Get a good magnet. If it sticks, don't buy. Buy it if it is marked .925, ster, sterling, STG. Don't buy it if it doesn't indicate that it's sterling. Carry a decent digital scale, a magnet, and a jeweler's loupe with you everywhere you go. Have cash in your pocket. You should expect to pay WAY less for sterling jewelry or flatware than coins. I pay 64% of spot. If you look at the top of the Silver, Gold and other precious metals section, you will see a sticky with a calculator for sterling.

As far as silver coins for your sisters (forgive my harshness here), if you really want to love them, set them aside for them for when they need them, and see if you can get them interested. If you cannot, they will never be interested and will sell what you have worked to save for them.

It's fun. Give it a go.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:52 am

Most teen age girls have no more sense than teen age boys. Give them coins, they will sell them at face, or so they can get cosmetics or DVD's.

The majority of girls that age would keep neat jewelry, not because of it's value, but because it's pretty. Keep an eye open for quality for not much. If you really want to put aside coins for them, keep the coins locked up until you know they have judgement.

Your life, your decision, not mine. Just my thoughts on the subject.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby kagarise » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:43 am

yeah theres alot of stuff floating around marked silver but not
bout 50% of my silver marked metal detecting finds turn out to be fake
kagarise
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals