setting a new standard for JUNK SILVER!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

setting a new standard for JUNK SILVER!

Postby uthminsta » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:44 pm

I was in a small local coin shop today, hoping to find some sale-priced silver. I think I did. What do you guys think?
I got 5 dimes for $4. Figured they would be a little light, so I weighed them against 5 "normal" silver dimes. They weren't even underweight!
Image Image
Talk about JUNK! But hey... silver is silver.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: setting a new standard for JUNK SILVER!

Postby Rastatodd » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:04 am

You are right silver is silver. There are those that collect only pristine silver rounds and bars, and there are those with a mine set of "silver is silver". I was of the mine set of, I had to have the bright, shiny stuff and paid a premium for it. Each to his own. But if you are playing the market, any old silver item will do. Now what I'm after is 90% US Kennedy's. For four dollars you did fine. Every little bit adds up to a big stack. :D
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:52 am

I think that is a great score. I would not hesitate to pay $4 for that. It's still silver
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:07 am

Wow- that's bad. I don't know that I've ever seen any in worse shape. That said, I'd be all over them for $4. Those nasty looking things are still far more beautiful to me than any nice, shiny 2011 dime will ever be!
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:36 am

Wow, those definitely qualify as 'Chuck Collector Grade' (HoardCopperByTheTon). I'll have to send him a PM about these. Although I think even he would have a hard time beating these ones. :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HonestAbe » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:10 pm

uthminsta wrote:I was in a small local coin shop today, hoping to find some sale-priced silver. I think I did. What do you guys think?
I got 5 dimes for $4. Figured they would be a little light, so I weighed them against 5 "normal" silver dimes. They weren't even underweight!
Image Image
Talk about JUNK! But hey... silver is silver.

You could alway exchange them at the local bank for 5 good new dimes :) After all they are still legal tender.

Just kidding! That's a great deal!
"I don't know anything about money. I never had enough of my own to fret me." Abraham Lincoln
HonestAbe

Postby slickeast » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:37 pm

It took a little bit for me to figure out what each one was. 3 Rosies ( one is the reverse ) and 2 Mercs.

Great score. My question is. Why are they so mangled?
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby HonestAbe » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Didn't you ever put coins on the train tracks when you were a kid to see what would happen when then train ran over them?
"I don't know anything about money. I never had enough of my own to fret me." Abraham Lincoln
HonestAbe

Postby kagarise » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:01 pm

haha just showed that to my coin guy he was like oh wow
kagarise
Penny Sorter Member

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:35 pm

that made me laugh. what were they, chewing on 'em?......you KNOW we're headed higher, you see stuff like that. thats a great picture.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby hejira11 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:38 pm

HonestAbe wrote:Didn't you ever put coins on the train tracks when you were a kid to see what would happen when then train ran over them?

Abe, mine usually ended up thinner and smoother! :)
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hades12 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:43 pm

I was thinking burned.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby MikeyPooh » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:34 pm

Yeah I'm curious what the story behind the damage is lol....

A few months ago I was in my LCS and looking at his meager silver offerings... there was an ASE that someone took (Im guessing) a ball peen hammer to, and beat it into a shape resembling the cupped part of a large soup spoon... I passed on that one though lol.
MikeyPooh

Postby Corsair » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:39 pm

You only need 399.61 more grams of silver before you can send them to Doc Rodebaugh to be melted down into one of his awesome bars. Keep your eyes open!
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby smalltimeopn » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:43 am

I think at some point a recognizability factor comes in play (these obviously still are) if you were going to flip them at some point. Certain shops may hastle you because they are mangled.

Very nice!
smalltimeopn
Penny Pincher Member

Postby uthminsta » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:20 am

Nah... I don't wanna sell 'em. Unless maybe I sell 'em here by weight with more junk - to people who know that silver is silver, and these shouldn't suffer because they're ugly. I'm ugly and I suffer enough!

These are more than silver... they're conversation pieces! They may actually end up as contest prizes here on RealCent!!!

Ooh! I have an idea! If you get a dump bank that REALLY ticks you off, you could drop one of these bad boys into their machine and REALLY do some damage!
uthminsta

Postby kagarise » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:42 am

if you really wanna wreck a bank's machine go metal detecting on the beach

you usualy find clad that has a hard shell of sand thats been encrusted it well i forgot i threw some in my change jar after a hunt and took the jar in
haha i apparently jamed their machine up quite well
kagarise
Penny Sorter Member

Postby smalltimeopn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:30 am

uthminsta wrote:Nah... I don't wanna sell 'em. Unless maybe I sell 'em here by weight with more junk - to people who know that silver is silver, and these shouldn't suffer because they're ugly. I'm ugly and I suffer enough!

These are more than silver... they're conversation pieces! They may actually end up as contest prizes here on RealCent!!!

Ooh! I have an idea! If you get a dump bank that REALLY ticks you off, you could drop one of these bad boys into their machine and REALLY do some damage!

:lol:
smalltimeopn
Penny Pincher Member

Postby myfundsarelow » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:42 pm

To Uthminstea,dont be so hard on yourself with the looks its whats inside a person that counts, or you can get yourself a new mirror just look deep inside yourself then you will see the true you PEACE!!
myfundsarelow
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby appjoe » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Congrats on a great find $11. + melt for $4. You can't go wrong with that, silver is silver. The melting pot doesn't know the difference.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:53 pm

That's funny... I know I posted on here last night. I got a bunch more from a different shop. Holed, bent, clipped - all kinds of damage. Not as good a deal, but still under melt. So now that I have more, I'm thinking about sending it off to be melted...
uthminsta

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals