Ag Diverseification Question

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Ag Diverseification Question

Postby smalltimeopn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:44 am

I was looking at the percentages of my Ag hoard:

21.3% bullion
78.7% 90/40%

Of the 90/40%, 18.1% is 40%.

Should I reduce my 40% some?

(Some background: I have aquired this over many years. The above percentages were not necessarily intentional. Just bought when I had spare FRN's. Thanks for your responses!)
smalltimeopn
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Ag Diverseification Question

Postby rexmerdinus » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:22 am

I guess it depends on your reasons for stacking--If you're satisfied with it, it doesn't really matter. There's only so much diversification that can take place within one PM anyway. I've got about half in bullion (including ASE's), and half in 90/40/35%--not because I planned it that way, it's just what I have.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:45 am

99% of the time if you trade one type of whatever for another type you have transaction costs so it generally doesn't gain you to trade them around.

So for the NEW stacks adding in the proportion you think makes sense is what I would do.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby smalltimeopn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:46 pm

Yes, those transaction costs!

I've always thought what I purchased would be for retirement or to pass on to family. But with the way things are heading, I don't think the hoard will make it that far (I'm in my late 40's). I think the system will have collapsed before then and I'll have to tap into it. What shape or form things take after the collapse, only God knows.

What started me thinking about rebalancing it was I talking to a coin store owner who heavily perferred 90% over 40.

I am a hoarder not a seller. But with the fluctuations in price we have seen, it's tempting to take a small portion and try make a profit and buy more on a dip.

I would, like you rexmerdinus, like to get to more of an even split between bullion and 90/40. That would seem to make sense.
smalltimeopn
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SoFa » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:26 pm

I don't see how it makes much difference. 40%, 90%, and 99.9% are priced based on the spot or melt value. The only difference is in the premium. So you wouldn't be diversifying if you traded one for the other.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:00 pm

I'd say buy what's under spot. War nickles, 40% or whatever. Sooner or later you are going to find someone who wants what you have, and be willing to pay more for it.

I passed up many 40% coins below spot, and regret it.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:35 pm

IMO, you should get more bullion coins. The ratio I favor is 60% bullion, 40% junk. 90% is better than 40/35%. Premiums on 90% is starting to rise.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals