i'm done for now

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

i'm done for now

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:18 am

i'm going to do a broken record thing; 'we're going a lot higher', not coz i say, nor what i hope but because, watching both the board, the physical mkt trade, reading small antedotes, etc....i'm absolutely convinced......we're going higher. But there comes a time in anybody's trade, where they have to pull back, because you're in danger of 'overtrading', and i've HAPPILY reached that point.

Now i have to be responsible and pay mind to my FRN hoard, which made me come to the realization, we're not at the point where FRN's are toilet paper, and i really dont see that situation as IMMINENT. But the good part is, if i'm wrong, i got the other "thing", so i'm "out", as we would say in the market. No more watching EBay like a hungry cat, no watching the major sellers websites. Got to get ready for winter. We ALL, could always use more, but i'm cocked and locked for now. i'm going to be eating bean and wienies for a while, venison too, if my shot is true, but i feel as good as a fellow could feel in America on 10 Oct 2011, with the board showing $32, and a whole hoard of new buyers just ITCHING to get onboard.

anybody else got that "i'm out" feeling? i know a lot of you guys have more resources than i, and i rejoice in that, coz if i did, i would NOT be "out". blessings to all here, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: i'm done for now

Postby rexmerdinus » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

Best of luck on your deer hunt! They're kinda scarce up here in northern Maine, but boy, they are real slammers!

Even though you're out for now, I hope you'll still lurk around here and chime in once in a while--it's nice to get a little insight from someone who clearly knows more than I do.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:58 am

rexmerdinus wrote:Best of luck on your deer hunt! They're kinda scarce up here in northern Maine, but boy, they are real slammers!

Even though you're out for now, I hope you'll still lurk around here and chime in once in a while--it's nice to get a little insight from someone who clearly knows more than I do.

Rex, brother, the day i say or EVEN THINK i know more than anybody else, bury me with my boots on, coz prides kills, and the unteachable soul is completely UNDONE.

now as far the deer hunt, Maine...no fooling. i've ALWAYS been fascinated by that great state....Maine is one, i've got to do by car in summer with my boy, the Yoop is the other i know well. ("Yoop"--upper peninsula of Michigan, by the by) to me both areas are magical mystery areas, that most folks cant take year round...anybody can be a 'summertimer', its the winter that weeds out the men from the boys. Good. and good hunting to you this year. (oh, a small trick "Dickie Small Eyes" told me about this year, right after halloween, when those stupid pumpkins sit on curbs, grab them up, throw them in the truck, and dump them out in your woods, Dickie told me, deer regard frozen pumpkin like a small kid regards ice cream in July....just learned this in June)
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:13 pm

I've pretty much shot the balance of my wad on this last dip, so "I"m out" also in the sense that I very little left available to spend that I haven't already allocated to something critical I need FRNs for. So, unless some more cash falls in my lap, or I find the deal of the century, I'm done with anything but very small deals, or minor re-adjustments.

I'm happy in that I've protected my core assets.

I wish I had done more of this a year earlier than I started, but what's done is done, and I'm better off than I would have been if I was just starting in this now.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverflake » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:00 pm

I owe my wife some money from this last dip. I am out!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:18 pm

I am one of:
a whole hoard of new buyers just ITCHING to get onboard.

So I figure I need 5000 oz of that one thing and another 100 oz of that other thing in order to be able to survive 7 years of winter. And I believe it is imminent.

Wish I could, but for my family's sake, I cannot be "out".
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Chief » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:34 pm

I feel like I'm out as well. I sorted one ton of copper pennies this year and bought more in PMs than I ever thought I would own in my whole lifetime. I am done for a while and feel that all three will store my wealth ( :lol: ) well. My first priority is paying off some debts, with 0% interest. Then acquiring adequate food/water storage, land, and FRNs is priority. To me, 2011 was a good year. I learned so much and was woken up to a few realities that I had not considered before.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:55 pm

Maine is awesome--I love it here. 70 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart is a bit inconvenient at times, but I think it's a fair trade. There's also no real cell phone service in this area. But on the other hand, there's no real cell phone service in this area! :)

A snowmobile is a must, plus some good ice-fishing gear. It helps that I work for the Border Patrol up here, which takes care of most of the cabin fever. And gives me some down time to sort copper. The most amazing part to me, though, is that my Georgia peach wife loves it here too. I'm where I want to be when the SHTF. Y'all are invited, of course--matter of fact, I'll prolly need some help defending the compound!

Anyway, I'm out of the silver market for a while now too--too many earmarked FRN's. Still hand-sorting the copper though.
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:13 pm

rexmerdinus wrote:Maine is awesome--I love it here. 70 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart is a bit inconvenient at times, but I think it's a fair trade. There's also no real cell phone service in this area. But on the other hand, there's no real cell phone service in this area! :)

A snowmobile is a must, plus some good ice-fishing gear. It helps that I work for the Border Patrol up here, which takes care of most of the cabin fever. And gives me some down time to sort copper. The most amazing part to me, though, is that my Georgia peach wife loves it here too. I'm where I want to be when the SHTF. Y'all are invited, of course--matter of fact, I'll prolly need some help defending the compound!

Anyway, I'm out of the silver market for a while now too--too many earmarked FRN's. Still hand-sorting the copper though.

cut the distances in half, and i'm like you. also i think Maine is a 3a growing zone, i'm 4b, if you know growing zones, sounds blessed though, and it good your honey's your wingman. Invite accepted, lets just get thru this winter, in all its forms, (lol) and you got a deal, vice versa too. i think it's neat some of the crew, got real and i said , "i'm out". (but knowing yall, thats only until we garner more FRN's)
i think we're all good, coz the fourth tier boys gotta get their silver now, those are the ones going to push it past $50 to the major $100 test. thanks to you all for answering, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:11 pm

Hey Neil! Good luck on your deer hunt. Given you own a place out in the boonies, allow me to give you a little 'ol Southern advice: If you want deer... plant corn! Corn to deer is like ice cream to a kid!

There are some strict rules about "baiting" wildlife for consumption. In most states it's a no-no. If you own land out there, however, it is perfectly legal to grow crops for yourself ( and the critters, too).

Plant corn and beans in the spring. Then wheat and rape seed for a fall crop (or corn again). When Bambi's dad comes out for early breakfast, you can say "Welcome to the food chain!"
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:29 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Hey Neil! Good luck on your deer hunt. Given you own a place out in the boonies, allow me to give you a little 'ol Southern advice: If you want deer... plant corn! Corn to deer is like ice cream to a kid!

There are some strict rules about "baiting" wildlife for consumption. In most states it's a no-no. If you own land out there, however, it is perfectly legal to grow crops for yourself ( and the critters, too).

Plant corn and beans in the spring. Then wheat and rape seed for a fall crop (or corn again). When Bambi's dad comes out for early breakfast, you can say "Welcome to the food chain!"

oh that corn is sitting pretty, shine a jacklight on it at night, and those two red dots just stare back. Didnt you see that trick Dickie Small Eyes told me about, coming into town the night of Nov 1, and filling the pick up with old curbside halloween pumpkins, taking them back to your woods and roll them into holler, the deer think a Baskin Robbins opened up.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:42 am

I started getting that "I'm done for now" feeling a few days ago after all the crazy premiums I was seeing on eBay but then I was able to pick up a few more ounces of 90% junk silver today under $30/oz so I'm not stopping just yet.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:34 am

I did a swap of two bars for cash at Premium that I then put into Dimes when AG was up but I have the Dimes. Currently stacking PB an hoping to get a Savage 17 with Acutrigger :o Better half Said I do not need any more PB toys :) She is correct but I do Want ONE 8-)

Getting coin to sort has been a pain :( Looking to do more Cents before We go South
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:38 am

neilgin1 wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Hey Neil! Good luck on your deer hunt. Given you own a place out in the boonies, allow me to give you a little 'ol Southern advice: If you want deer... plant corn! Corn to deer is like ice cream to a kid!

oh that corn is sitting pretty, shine a jacklight on it at night, and those two red dots just stare back. Didnt you see that trick Dickie Small Eyes told me about, coming into town the night of Nov 1, and filling the pick up with old curbside halloween pumpkins, taking them back to your woods and roll them into holler, the deer think a Baskin Robbins opened up.

I have heard of that one, but never used it before. I will have to give it a try!

Last night I had to see a customer at 8 pm. Driving out to his house on the outside edge of town, there was a line of cars blocking the road. "Must be a sobriety check point." I thought. Nope. Someone had struck a deer with their car and driven away. It was a big bruiser, too. Eight points and full of muscle. It was still alive but too hurt to get up and flee. Poor critter! If I had my weapon with me as I usually do, I would have put it out of it's misery. Here car-struck deer can be taken to the butcher without a tag... I was just too tired to mess with it.

It was gone when I came back by. Hopefully, someone did the right thing.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:25 am

Sheikh, thats a sad tale....what i've taken to doing for a few years now, is pack the truck with tools that can double as weapons, i keep a big crowbar, pair of monster bolt cutters, a stout machete grinded razor sharp, an old school wooden handle entrenching tool, a hunting knife, bunch of tie downs, and a bolt of rope, as well as the kit, sleeping pack, furny pad, tarp, gloves, boots water, tire and battery implemnts, in the event i get wanged off in a snowdrift, and gotta sleep in the back till morning. i dont carry a sidearm in the ride...yet, gotta do things legal, i believe. the sad part about the whole deal is the poor buck had to suffer, and i do believe like you, someone did him a mercy, popped him on the hood, tied him down and harvested the old boy.
another thing i been doing for a few years now is never letting my tank go below 3/4's full...unless i'm driving far, and even that i got back up. if you ever see FOR REAL "Jerry Cans", those german metal gas cans, buy them! i was able to get a mess of them for $25 a piece in pristine condition, some of the best money i ever spent. i'm sure you know all this, but "Sea Foam" is a superior additive to keep the gasoline active...of course the diesel cans i got in a diffrent color and use anti gel with her...details details, just me, but i use 93 oct in small engines, and 87 oct in the rides, and i'm crazy for diesel in working equipment...and by the by, working equipment, i'm "blue"...FORD, but i go for Ford stuff that was made in japan in the 90's. most everybody around here is green...Deere, and it commands a hefty premium....sorry to go on so, but i'm typing out of nervous energy. i got a potential bad situation here, the boys that made me a bunker up the hill ten feet and said it would be "no problem" to lift my 20 ton cabin atop the bunker, suddenly got problems, and i been out here since may, with just a garden hose, spitting out well water, i paid 20k for, 460 foot well and pump, and an old outhouse. i been using a big old coffee pot to heat wash water, and use two big aluminium milk pails to bathe, one as rinse water, one as wash water. During the summer, its no problem to bathe on the porch, but if these boys dont set this cabin in place for the plumber to hook things up, there's two things that are going happen, first, nobody's getting paid, second, i'm rigging up the coffee pot/two pail set up in the shell of the indoor bathroom. Even the propane boys cant set the 500 gallon tank till the cabins set, BUT at least i got four cords of high BTU split firewood done so far to heat the house, i'll just wrap the hose, its high quality, in heat tape, and just continue to make do. i'm not complaining, this is all good, in the sense that its giving me a SMALL taste, of what its like to GET BY, when TSHTF...just a small taste, as i do have electricity. If i gotta do this during winter, it'll be a little tougher, i'll get by, but i'll tell ya, come march/april, i'm gonna turn into one mean MF, when these boys come back, coz i will go into town and make friends with a gooooood lawyer. Thats why i say, take these shtf websites with a grain of salt, all that fancy stuff they pitching, circumstance and the land will tell you what you need to buy...one thing that goes to the top of the list is a propane generator...it costs, 2K+, but it might just save your life, pissed off and ornery, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby rexmerdinus » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:32 am

Rosco wrote:I did a swap of two bars for cash at Premium that I then put into Dimes when AG was up but I have the Dimes. Currently stacking PB an hoping to get a Savage 17 with Acutrigger :o Better half Said I do not need any more PB toys :) She is correct but I do Want ONE 8-)

Getting coin to sort has been a pain :( Looking to do more Cents before We go South

Yeah, it's not about need :)

My .450 bushmaster is more than I need, but hey, ya never know!
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals