Finally saw silver in the teller tray but was denied...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Finally saw silver in the teller tray but was denied...

Postby merchoarder » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:56 pm

So I'm at my main bank today making a deposit to pay some bills. I'm small time but I always pick up $5 in pennies when I'm there. Of course I always glance at the teller tray to try and spot silver halves. Never see any, until today. Woohoo I'm thinking, finally, doing a little dance in my head. So I say "can I please buy the halves from your tray?" She quickly snatches them out of the tray and puts them somewhere I can't see, "oh, I can't sell you those but I can sell some out of this other roll." Ugh... Thanks but no thanks. WTF, I have no problem if she knew one was silver, good for her, but don't leave it sitting in the tray winking at me and begging for me to bring it home so it can be reunited with it's friends. Frustrating, I was sooo excited. As I said this was at my main bank and I had never seen this teller so I just let it go. I know others here have reported similar incidents but man is that a bummer. Sorry, had to rant, guess I'll sort my pennies now and hope for something good although I'm gonna be thinking about that for awhile.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Finally saw silver in the teller tray but was denied...

Postby Saabman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:23 pm

That is a true bummer man!!! Oh.....so.....close....
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:53 pm

Odds are that it was probably a 40%.

People and bank tellers are getting hip... that's why clad roll/box searching has become more trouble that it's worth (unless you have some type of inside relationship with a bank teller or branch manager).
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby merchoarder » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:00 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Odds are that it was probably a 40%.

People and bank tellers are getting hip... that's why clad roll/box searching has become more trouble that it's worth (unless you have some type of inside relationship with a bank teller or branch manager).

Nope, I'm sure it was a Ben or a Walker, lol. Really a 40% half would have been just fine with me, oh well.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BamaJoe » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:19 pm

Maybe the teller just like to bring pain on people like us. My wife tells me that she knows of a teller at another branch that keeps a Ben laying around in open site just to mess with people who want it. It could be her form of revenge on dumpers. :twisted:
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rastatodd » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Maybe a new career in being a bank teller is in order. It would be nice to know if banks have a policy about tellers and pocketing of silver coins.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Rastatodd wrote:Maybe a new career in being a bank teller is in order. It would be nice to know if banks have a policy about tellers and pocketing of silver coins.

I am sure they can switch it out for face value as long as there cash matches up...
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rastatodd » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Yeah, that sounds legit to me. Gotta go and apply at Wells Fargo now. See ya! :lol:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Last edited by RichardPenny43 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Figured someone would have at least thrown out the idea that a little talking to some higher ups would be in order.....
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BamaJoe » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:12 pm

Rastatodd wrote:Maybe a new career in being a bank teller is in order. It would be nice to know if banks have a policy about tellers and pocketing of silver coins.

As far as the banks are concerned they consider a teller pulling out silver no different than if they put 4 quarters in the drawer and pulled out a $1 bill. The only thing that matters is that the drawer balances.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby merchoarder » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:14 pm

cesariojpn wrote:Figured someone would have at least thrown out the idea that a little talking to some higher ups would be in order.....

It caught me so off guard I didn't really think of it, as I was walking out it dawned on me to talk to the head teller, BUT... it's my main bank and they have always been good to me, I like all of the usual tellers there. Decided it wasn't worth possibly ruining a good relationship over, most likely, a 40% half. Sometimes you just gotta roll with it.
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:15 pm

merchoarder wrote:She quickly snatches them out of the tray and puts them somewhere I can't see, "oh, I can't sell you those but I can sell some out of this other roll." Ugh... Thanks but no thanks.

Where there's smoke there's fire! Should have taken a gamble! :D
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby NHsorter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:23 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:
merchoarder wrote:She quickly snatches them out of the tray and puts them somewhere I can't see, "oh, I can't sell you those but I can sell some out of this other roll." Ugh... Thanks but no thanks.

Where there's smoke there's fire! Should have taken a gamble! :D

+1 - I'll always take them. It does not cost anything. They just all end up back in the penny arcade. My CWR percentages have been great for halves. Fed boxes have sucked so bad lately that I quit.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals