What to do with SLQ's

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What to do with SLQ's

Postby BOHICA » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:00 am

So... Today I received the junk silver that I bought last month on the dip ($120 FV). Wound up getting all quarters and $57.50 are Standing Liberty's. Most are dayeless slicks however, 22 are in Good to Fine condition and a few are better dates. Out of all the ones I have most are type II's and only 10 are type I's (all dateless slicks).

My question is should I try to feebay the nicer ones to make FRNs to buy more or just throw them in with the rest of my junk silver? I stack only as a hedge against the dollar tanking so I have no interest in numis.

Here are the dates and MM of the nicer ones:

(All of these are type II with the 3 stars below the Eagle)
1917D VG
1917S Fine
1918 GD
1920 GD
1925 VG
3x 1926 VG
1926D GD
1926S VG
1927 GD
1927D GD
1927S GD
1928 VG
1928D GD
1928S AG
2x 1929 Fine
1929D GD
1929S VG
1930 Fine
1930S VG

I'll see if I can get some decent pictures tomorrow and upload them. Thanks!
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Re: What to do with SLQ's

Postby NHsorter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:31 am

Take a picture of a few stacks of all the quarters and put the nicer ones on the top of the stack so it looks like you have a bunch of SLQ's, then list it on eBay. :twisted:

I'm kidding. It just seems like that is the kind of crap that a lot of sellers are pulling on there now.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby alpacafarmer » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:39 am

You may want to put the pre 1925's on the auction site here. Start them where you are good and see where they go. No fee's, keep them in the family and you may be suprised how much they bring. I don't see you netting out less on here than ebay. Good luck.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby BOHICA » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Here are the pictures of the coins.
Attachments
SLQ-2o-lg.JPG
Obverse of the 1917, 1918 & 1920 SLQ's.
SLQ-2o-lg.JPG (210.07 KiB) Viewed 286 times
SLQ-1r-lga.JPG
Reverse of the 1925-1930 SLQ's.
SLQ-1r-lga.JPG (224.93 KiB) Viewed 286 times
SLQ-1o-lga.JPG
Obverse of the 1925-1930 SLQ's.
SLQ-1o-lga.JPG (254.25 KiB) Viewed 286 times
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby BOHICA » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:53 pm

The reverse of the 1917, 1918 & 1920 coins.
Attachments
SLQ-2r-lga.JPG
Reverse of the 1917, 1918 & 1920 SLQ's.
SLQ-2r-lga.JPG (209.2 KiB) Viewed 286 times
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:56 pm

alpacafarmer wrote:You may want to put the pre 1925's on the auction site here. Start them where you are good and see where they go. No fee's, keep them in the family and you may be suprised how much they bring. I don't see you netting out less on here than ebay. Good luck.

I second that. I would put a bid in on these if you listed them. They would be fun to have.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:02 pm

Bo, forgive my seeming nosiness, but you're saying that out of the 120FV, you got 57.50FV in SLQ's and of those SLQ's, only 5.50FV have dates?...oh boy, you're a saint, nicer than i am, coz if somebody sent me over 200 slicks, i'd be prepping to take a road trip with a chainsaw, a sidearm, an ice pick, a shovel and three 50# bags of lime, unless of course i knew beforehand i was paying for slicks, clods, whatever we want to call them. ...and i'm not a nusimatic type, i just hate slicks, only got 5, which happen to be SLQ's but the seller threw them in extra. But when i saw them FIRST, my BP started to get active....lol....."a chainsaw"...seriously though, so the others were Washington's? the 62.50FV?...did they lay slick's on you there, too?
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:47 pm

I learned - a bit by the hard way, but not too painful - that everything dated before the mid-50s needs to be bought by weight, unless it's claimed to be AU or better. I kept all the "better" SLQs I acquired that had unique dates/MMs, but everything else I sent off to be melted and traded up to full-weight coins.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:42 pm

You should at least hang onto the ones with dates, even though those are like 6 - 7% "light" if you weigh them on a gram scale. Without going to all that trouble, if you want to swap the $52 face of slicks with me, I would value them at 21X and eat the difference if they were lighter than that, and could swap you 1/10 oz gold for that. Six Daniel Carr Chiefs and we each pay our own shipping. If you're interested, I'd probably feel more comfortable if you shipped first. Check my feedback, I've done business with just about everyone here. You could weigh them individually and try and sell them, but then if you go to cash you've lost against the price rise since the dip and have to hope to find better coins at a good price to buy back in. Trading metals avoids that for both parties. What's in it for me, you ask? I can sell them back to APMEX for face value, but they'll only take lots bigger than $500 face, which I've already passed, but am waiting for another price spike near $50 before I sell. LMK if you're interested, Ray
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Aqualung48 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:38 pm

"I would value them at 21X and eat the difference if they were lighter than that, and could swap you 1/10 oz gold for that."

I would trade 1/10 oz gold for 52 face of slick quarters any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Aqualung48
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:45 pm

beauanderos wrote:You should at least hang onto the ones with dates, even though those are like 6 - 7% "light" if you weigh them on a gram scale. Without going to all that trouble, if you want to swap the $52 face of slicks with me, I would value them at 21X and eat the difference if they were lighter than that, and could swap you 1/10 oz gold for that. Six Daniel Carr Chiefs and we each pay our own shipping. If you're interested, I'd probably feel more comfortable if you shipped first. Check my feedback, I've done business with just about everyone here. You could weigh them individually and try and sell them, but then if you go to cash you've lost against the price rise since the dip and have to hope to find better coins at a good price to buy back in. Trading metals avoids that for both parties. What's in it for me, you ask? I can sell them back to APMEX for face value, but they'll only take lots bigger than $500 face, which I've already passed, but am waiting for another price spike near $50 before I sell. LMK if you're interested, Ray
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby agmoose » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:24 pm

If you are interested in moving the dateless Type 1's - I'd be willing to make a deal. I'm trying to finish a roll of these. Pls PM me.

Keith
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals