*Updated* Special ASE set that you should buy

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

*Updated* Special ASE set that you should buy

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:35 am

Take a look and let me know what you think.
The Silver nuts over at BS put me on to this one.......I am buying with both hands 8-)

http://mintnewsblog.com/2011/08/25th-an ... announced/

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/st ... ogId=10001
Last edited by Rodebaugh on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: Special ASE set that you should buy

Postby Neckro » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:37 am

Oh my, another item to bankrupt me!
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:40 am

yeah, the mint sure knows how to get my money.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:54 am

I will be getting 5 each sent to a couple of address's. If its anything like the 2006 ones they get hot quick and you can sell them to make a decent amount.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby oktyabyr » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:03 am

I might have to try that. buy a few. keep one and throw the rest on the bay. Never done that before.
oktyabyr
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:07 am

oktyabyr wrote:I might have to try that. buy a few. keep one and throw the rest on the bay. Never done that before.

Always a chance they will flop but most of the time they dont.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby oktyabyr » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:09 am

Probably not, especially with the limited mintage. Of course, because I want to get some and flip em, it'll flop. lol. That's how it usually works for me.
oktyabyr
Penny Collector Member

Postby SoFa » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:14 pm

I wonder if they'll ever make some fancy coins out of copper. Like a 5oz Lincoln cent.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll get one and try to flip it, these should be a winner.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby morris14ccm » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:27 pm

How much do you think they'll sell for?
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Copper Member » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:34 pm

at a mintage of 100,000 and 5 per household would be 20,000 orders. This is probably going to be a hot ticket!! Count me in.
check me out on facebook Lake's Coin's and Militaria
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:08 am

oct 27 if i read this right.

what is BS?
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tn-dave » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:19 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:oct 27 if i read this right.

what is BS?

Bullion Stacker forum is my guess.

I watched about 10 minutes of one of the coin shows on The Dish last night and he was talking about taking pre-orders for these soon when the mint releases the price.
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:16 pm

I scored several 20th Anniversary silver sets from the mint, held onto to them for two years after issue and traded both sets, ungraded, for gold. I should have moved them sooner but I forgot I had them in the safe. After all that time, I still traded for the equivalent of double of what I paid for them. It's the reverse proof that attracts the attention. Sell or trade them early if you snag any set(s).

I might give the 25th a try.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby twentybux » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:06 pm

You have me intrigued with the 25th anniversary set. Dang, Doc...now I'll be obsessive about these goodies til the bell rings high noon EST on the 27th. Then of course, off to the races. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Neckro » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:46 pm

I gotta save all my monies for this beast!
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby morris14ccm » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:09 pm

DirtyFingers wrote:I scored several 20th Anniversary silver sets from the mint, held onto to them for two years after issue and traded both sets, ungraded, for gold. I should have moved them sooner but I forgot I had them in the safe. After all that time, I still traded for the equivalent of double of what I paid for them. It's the reverse proof that attracts the attention. Sell or trade them early if you snag any set(s).

So you think they'll be worth more if I sell them within a couple of weeks than keeping them for 5-10+ years?
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Postby tn-dave » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:11 pm

saw this link on another forum:

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/st ... ageIndex=2

This set is the 5th one down listed at a Price of : $229.95 -- If this is right, I'm surprised. Figured it would be a $350-$400 set and out of my price range...tempting (if this is not a mistake)
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:52 pm

morris14ccm wrote:
DirtyFingers wrote:I scored several 20th Anniversary silver sets from the mint, held onto to them for two years after issue and traded both sets, ungraded, for gold. I should have moved them sooner but I forgot I had them in the safe. After all that time, I still traded for the equivalent of double of what I paid for them. It's the reverse proof that attracts the attention. Sell or trade them early if you snag any set(s).

So you think they'll be worth more if I sell them within a couple of weeks than keeping them for 5-10+ years?

Based on the way the 20th Anniversary silver set performed, unless you see a spike coming with Ag, I would say sell or trade early rather than later. Watch the market for them after they are issued. Like any other set issued by the mint, there is the initial rush to buy from those that have to those who don't have which usually translates to a peak premium price followed by a decline. If I snag any 25th Anniversary sets, I'll trade to trade/sell when the peak starts to dip. When I traded my sets, I noticed my dealer was pretty much inline with ebay. I'll be following the trend there. Just takes alittle patience and homework. Which I didn't do the first time around, although I knew what the trend was the whole time I had the sets hidden away in the safe.

On the other hand, grading changes the game.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby oktyabyr » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:39 pm

tn-dave wrote:saw this link on another forum:

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/st ... ageIndex=2

This set is the 5th one down listed at a Price of : $229.95 -- If this is right, I'm surprised. Figured it would be a $350-$400 set and out of my price range...tempting (if this is not a mistake)

That looks exactly like what they've been talking about. Much more affordable than I expected. I think I will certainly order a few sets and flip em on eBay. Or talk to my dealer.
oktyabyr
Penny Collector Member

Postby slvrbck » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:20 pm

Alright, dumb question. I have never ordered from the mint before. I think i would like to get one or two of these. What is the best way to maximize my odds of scoring some other than being available at noon on the 27. Do they do phone orders, or is it all online? Do you have to set up some kind of account or anything that could be completed ahead of time?
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:06 pm

slvrbck wrote:Alright, dumb question. I have never ordered from the mint before. I think i would like to get one or two of these. What is the best way to maximize my odds of scoring some other than being available at noon on the 27. Do they do phone orders, or is it all online? Do you have to set up some kind of account or anything that could be completed ahead of time?

+1
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby morris14ccm » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:20 am

DirtyFingers wrote:
morris14ccm wrote:

Based on the way the 20th Anniversary silver set performed, unless you see a spike coming with Ag, I would say sell or trade early rather than later. Watch the market for them after they are issued. Like any other set issued by the mint, there is the initial rush to buy from those that have to those who don't have which usually translates to a peak premium price followed by a decline. If I snag any 25th Anniversary sets, I'll trade to trade/sell when the peak starts to dip. When I traded my sets, I noticed my dealer was pretty much inline with ebay. I'll be following the trend there. Just takes alittle patience and homework. Which I didn't do the first time around, although I knew what the trend was the whole time I had the sets hidden away in the safe.

On the other hand, grading changes the game.

DF

I was thinking about having them graded. I've never bought any numismatics before, but at $230 this looks like a great buy. How much would that cost and what value do you think i would see added?

Also, can you pay the mint by Money Order?
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:26 pm

Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Coppertop » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:56 pm

I'm going to get a set for myself, but I'm thinking about potential getting more to flip and was interested in ideas. So I'm thinking if the $229.95 price holds, then 5 x $229.95 + $4.95 shipping = $1,154.70 for 5 sets from the US mint. To flip a set on ebay with approx 12% in ebay/paypal fees + minimum $5 shipping, then I'm going to have to sell each extra set for at least $279 just to break even on them. How much are people thinking these are going to go for on the secondary market?
Coppertop

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals