Buying Scrap Sterling

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Buying Scrap Sterling

Postby morris14ccm » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:21 pm

I've got a scale and a magnet and I'm looking to go out and hit up a few local sales tomorrow. I have no idea what to pay for Sterling. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Buying Scrap Sterling

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:22 am

Scrap sterling should be woth about $10 per gram. And you don't need to go to the sales, there are plenty of folks here that would send you scrap sterling for $5/delivered. What a deal huh!? These aren't the droids you are looking for.

My concience is killing me.

Morris, peruse these pages a bit more, do some math and you'll be able to answer this on your own.

If silver is 32$/ oz, and sterling is .925 pure, and you'd like to buy in such a way that its profitable.......

32x.925x.60(profit margin,costs)/28=buying price per gram.

Or just TRUST ME. And buy all the scrap sterling I can find for $5/gram. You don't need to see his identification. These aren't the droids you're looking for. Buy my scrap sterling for $5/gram all day.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:33 am

Also, get a jewelers loupe. They're cheap, and give you credibility.

Some of the markings (especially on jewelry) can be difficult to read with the naked eye. I have yet to hit a yard sale where there was a big cardboard sign with an arrow pointing at the table that reads, "Get cheap silver here. Rape me."
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:21 am

I just picked up a 21 oz sterling Gorham bowl for 75.00.. :D
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:35 am

Diggin4copper wrote:I just picked up a 21 oz sterling Gorham bowl for 75.00.. :D

How would you like to double your money today?

WOW! Tell us the story. Auction? Yard sale? Thrift shop? Do tell!
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:05 am

OneBiteAtATime wrote:Scrap sterling should be woth about $10 per gram. And you don't need to go to the sales, there are plenty of folks here that would send you scrap sterling for $5/delivered. What a deal huh!? These aren't the droids you are looking for.

Morris, peruse these pages a bit more, do some math and you'll be able to answer this on your own.

If silver is 32$/ oz, and sterling is .925 pure, and you'd like to buy in such a way that its profitable.......

Or just TRUST ME. And buy all the scrap sterling I can find for $5/gram. You don't need to see his identification. These aren't the droids you're looking for. Buy my scrap sterling for $5/gram all day.

You say to buy scrap sterling for 5$ a gram. Pure silver is worth about a dollar a gram. Are you meaning to say ounce?
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:12 am

TXBullion wrote:
OneBiteAtATime wrote:Scrap sterling should be woth about $10 per gram. And you don't need to go to the sales, there are plenty of folks here that would send you scrap sterling for $5/delivered. What a deal huh!? These aren't the droids you are looking for.

You say to buy scrap sterling for 5$ a gram. Pure silver is worth about a dollar a gram. Are you meaning to say ounce?

Tex. This is sarcasm to try to help the guy do his own due...... that's why I'm saying I'd be willing to sell it to him for $5/gram all day.

It's early. Get a coffee.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:53 am

OneBiteAtATime wrote:
TXBullion wrote:

Tex. This is sarcasm to try to help the guy do his own due...... that's why I'm saying I'd be willing to sell it to him for $5/gram all day.

It's early. Get a coffee.

Just poured the first cup. First time around i didnt catch the sarcasm. These are the droids you are looking for 15$ per plated gram :oops:
TXBullion

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Took theday off from work (without pay) to bring my mom to the doctors office... There is a thrift shop near here house.. I asked if they had any sterling and they brought a bag out from the back room. They said make an offer, and they accepted!
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby morris14ccm » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:Took theday off from work (without pay) to bring my mom to the doctors office... There is a thrift shop near here house.. I asked if they had any sterling and they brought a bag out from the back room. They said make an offer, and they accepted!

Nice, haven't seen any sterling in the goodwill near me, but I'll have to ask.

Went to 2 estate sales and stopped at a couple of tag sales. The tag sales had nothing and the estate sales were professionally run and were charging a ridiculous amount. No luck today, but I'll try again next weekend.
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:16 pm

Morris - I hope you don't think I was just being a jerk this morning. I was feeling particularly rammy. But the formula I gave you is good:

Silver Price (roughly $32) x .925 (silver purity) x margin .60 (I normally offer 60% unless they ask for less) / (28 ish) grams per ounce = sterling offer price

Today - 32*.925*.60/28 = 63 cents per gram or 17.76 per ounce. I didn't find any deals on sterling today either..... probably karma. I did find some nice deals on scrap though. Around here, when the afternoon hits, the garage sales become "fill a bag for a buck" I clean up on anything with an electric plug, aluminum, or brass.

Again, just messin with ya. It was in good fun.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby morris14ccm » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:00 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:Morris - I hope you don't think I was just being a jerk this morning. I was feeling particularly rammy. But the formula I gave you is good:

Silver Price (roughly $32) x .925 (silver purity) x margin .60 (I normally offer 60% unless they ask for less) / (28 ish) grams per ounce = sterling offer price

Today - 32*.925*.60/28 = 63 cents per gram or 17.76 per ounce. I didn't find any deals on sterling today either..... probably karma. I did find some nice deals on scrap though. Around here, when the afternoon hits, the garage sales become "fill a bag for a buck" I clean up on anything with an electric plug, aluminum, or brass.

Again, just messin with ya. It was in good fun.

Not a problem, I knew better than to pay $5/gram. Thanks for the formula.
Same thing happens around here in the afternoon, but I don't bother with the scrap. Closest scrapyard is 45 minutes or so away and their rates aren't any good.
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Postby hobo finds » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:15 pm

hobo finds

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals