An interesting form of bullion I'd like to see

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

An interesting form of bullion I'd like to see

Postby fb101 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:29 pm

These would look real nice with the A&M logo on them.

Just an idea.........
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: An interesting form of bullion I'd like to see

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:06 pm

I've got a goose you can buy.....
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Gamecock » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:12 pm

i'll take a dozen. where do i get them?
"When a government overvalues one type of money and undervalues another, the undervalued money will leave the country or disappear from circulation into hoards, while the overvalued money will flood into circulation."
Gamecock
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Kurr » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:24 pm

Very nice.

Any math wizzes wanna take a crack at how many ounces it would take to fill the volume of an egg? something smaller like a robin egg?

I am sure I could cast an egg quite handily with not much more than I have now using lost wax. Have to be silver though. Hmmmmm....
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby tractorman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:44 pm

On some cooking website I found that it takes 19.2 grocery store "large" eggs to make 1 liter (1000 cubic centimeters). So 1 egg would be about 52 cc. The density of silver is 10.49 g/cc, so an egg of silver would weigh around 545 grams or so. 17.5 Toz sound about right?

An egg made of gold, well, I would have to find them smaller than jelly beans to ever own one!!
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

I found that a typical chicken egg is about 5.7 cm long, and a robin egg is about 1.9 cm long (1/3 the length of the chicken egg). If the eggs are the same general shape, it would take 27 robin eggs to equal a chicken egg in volume ... so 17.5/27 = 0.65 toz
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:05 pm

That would be awesome in silver or gold. I would take a chicken (17.5 oz) or a whole nest of robin (.65 oz)
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:35 pm

you could market them as "nest eggs" or something similar.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:47 pm

Just don't put all your eggs in one basket!!! Buy some silver AND gold ;)
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:20 pm

Id still make them an ounce instead of .65 or whatever. Sounds much better. There are eggs of many sizes Im sure one is the size of an ounce of silver if you want it to the the size of a specific type of bird for some reason.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:06 pm

1 lb coppers wouldn't be bad either....
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby fb101 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:10 pm

I was thinking robin sized for gold, Chicken sized for Silver........
Good idea from OneBiteAtATime too. maybe 4 toz though
fb101

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Great idea.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:50 pm

a one troy pound silver egg might be about the size of a bantam chicken egg if a large egg is 17.5 ounces.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:09 pm

If you got really good perhaps you could cast a one ounce gold "yolk", that was surrounded by a few ounces of silver. Something you could open up to get at the gold yolk inside. Call them nest eggs. unveil them at easter... :)
Last edited by Treetop on Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:10 pm

Treetop wrote:If you got really good perhaps you could cast a one ounce gold "yolk", that was surrounded by a few ounces of silver. something where you could open up the silver to get at the gold yolk. Call them nest eggs. unveil them at easter... :)
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:25 pm

Treetop wrote:If you got really good perhaps you could cast a one ounce gold "yolk", that was surrounded by a few ounces of silver. Call them nest eggs. unveil them at easter... :)

Nest Eggs.... Pure Marketing Genious!
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:35 am

Cast them as 1oz, then measure them and compare them to all the egg laying critters. Then see which critters are closest in size, and what is the most marketable. Perhaps gold hummingbird eggs? or Silver turtle eggs?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:01 am

Complete the marketing presentation with a "holder" for the eggs made out of brownish-colored copper wire intricately woven together like a real bird's nest.

For customers with a sense of humor, add a little bird poop to the edge of the nest by pouring a bit of melted aluminum onto the wire and letting it cool. :D

I'd buy it!
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby creshka46 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:34 pm

fb101 wrote:I was thinking robin sized for gold, Chicken sized for Silver........

And Osterich sized for copper! :lol:
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:50 pm

I found that "Typical chicken eggs, classified "large" in the grocery store, will measure about 5.7 cm long and 4.4 cm wide." If we keep this length to width ratio and the general shape of an egg, its pretty easy to calculate the dimensions of any weight of silver. For example, I come up with an egg 2.2 cm long and 1.7 cm wide would be 1.0 toz.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:59 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Complete the marketing presentation with a "holder" for the eggs made out of brownish-colored copper wire intricately woven together like a real bird's nest.

For customers with a sense of humor, add a little bird poop to the edge of the nest by pouring a bit of melted aluminum onto the wire and letting it cool. :D

I'd buy it!

This is actually a very good idea. A guy with Kurr's artistic and, attention to detail, brain could come up with a really nice piece.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:04 pm

Kurr wrote:Very nice.

Any math wizzes wanna take a crack at how many ounces it would take to fill the volume of an egg? something smaller like a robin egg?

I am sure I could cast an egg quite handily with not much more than I have now using lost wax. Have to be silver though. Hmmmmm....

You cannot be close to accurate with a lengthXwidthXhigh measurement. Get yourself an egg and use water displacement to measure the volume.

Multiply that by the desired metal's density.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby tractorman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:10 pm

Thogey wrote:
Kurr wrote:Very nice.

You cannot be close to accurate with a lengthXwidthXhigh measurement. Get yourself an egg and use water displacement to measure the volume.

Multiply that by the desired metal's density.

Haha, exactly. Not having access to a graduated cylinder with ml markings, I relied on the grocery site report to estimate the volume. A more accurate measurement is surely welcomed, and the silver weight calcs are the same.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:19 pm

For anyone really interested in calculating the volume of an egg, its no secret. http://www.had2know.com/academics/egg-surface-area-volume-calculator.html

All of my approximations assume that the length x width ratio remains the same and the same general "shape" (B and C are relative in the above figure). That's how I estimated the approx silver weight, knowing the density of silver of course. The weight of any other metal would simply be a comparison of the density compared to silver's.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals