Check Out These Beauties

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Check Out These Beauties

Postby amalekidad » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:39 pm

What happed to these 40% Silver halves?
They all came from the same box. Two were in the same roll. Some of the clad halves had some cross contamination from these beauties. I am keeping them. I just wonder if you experts know what happed to them.
Thanks
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Re: Check Out These Beauties

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:58 am

looks like someone urinated on them.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:46 am

Fire?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:59 am

Orange juice?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby amalekidad » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks Lemmon Thrower! I'm sure that's it. And here I though it was some kind of rusty water.
Anyone elese got any not so bright ideas like Lemmon Thrower?
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:32 pm

They look like wishing well coins
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby dan53 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:02 pm

If you stay at this for awhile, you will run into more of the "gold plated" halves. Yours have lost alot of the plated luster. That happens over time. By the way, the gold plating only adds a few cents worth of value. I have run into some weird stuff over the years. I once got 3 gold plated halves that had a pic of lincoln stamped on the obverse staring at kennedy nose to nose.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Greatwun » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:28 pm

wow I had a silver bar turn that color when a guy put some testing solution on it
Greatwun
Penny Sorter Member

Postby twentybux » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:14 am

Someone urinated fire on them after drinking orange juice. :mrgreen:
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:25 am

Those coins may have been exposed to water with a high iron content, producing a rusty looking residue upon evaporation. It requires iron to actually "rust" but the copper component of 40% halves can oxidize, creating a verdigris appearance, and the silver component can oxidize as well, causing tarnish. If it looks like rust... it didn't come from the coin itself, it was deposited there by an outside process.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals