1884 CC Morgan Dollar

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

1884 CC Morgan Dollar

Postby lewbo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Went to a auction today, they had one of these in the Carson City plastic case, they said it was uncirculated and it looked very good. Only got one bid at $250. I did not bid, but then checking prices not sure if I should have, what do you think? They had a bunch of gold coins that sold at a pretty good premium to spot, plus you had a 10% buyer's premium on top of your winning bid.
Selling US pennies 1.9 face shipped. Never mind I am keeping everything!
lewbo
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: 1884 CC Morgan Dollar

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:57 pm

That was probably plenty for that coin. But as you say with the buyers premium you would have actually paid $275.00 for it. But I wouldn't have been at the sale in the first place because of the buyers premium. I always check with the auctioneer and make sure there is no buyers premium before I go to an auction. If there is I don't go. I am not going drive sometimes up to several hundred miles to go to a coin auction and help drive bids up on coins and buy coins if I have to pay 10% for the privilege of doing so. Isn't that the whole point of having an auction? Don't you want as many people attending a sale and driving up prices as possible? I know around here they get enough out of the seller and I am not going to give them anymore with a buyers premium.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:29 pm

I've read that most 1884cc's were never released into circulation and put into storage. If that one was MS65 it could be worth more than twice that price. I don't know much about grading so I stay away from those kind of coins. As far as auctions go, I went to one yesterday. It was an estate of silver coins and jewelry. I bought a whitman folder of Morgans 1878-1883 w/ no CC's (18 coins total), paid $350+10%. $385/18=$21.40 per Morgan, I'm happy w/ that :D .
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby alpacafarmer » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:53 am

1884CC Morgan GSA with box and papers run about $185 or $180 without the box and COA. That being said the last auction I went to that had one for sale it went for $320. Most of the ones in the GSA holders will grade MS 62 or 63. Even though they where never in circulation they will have a few bag marks on them.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals