Purest silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Purest silver

Postby kiwiman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:23 pm

I know the bullion silver is .999 pure but what is the purest silver can possibly be? Is there a much more expensive way to get .9999999999 or something? is there such thing as 1.0?
You could be sorting right now.
kiwiman
Penny Collector Member

Re: Purest silver

Postby rexmerdinus » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:31 pm

I think the only theoretical way to have 1.0 is have only one atom, or maybe to "grow" silver in a laboratory or something. Even then, the reagents in that chemical reaction would leave residual impurities unless perfectly balanced and measured--and I mean down to individual molecules. Then again, I'm no chemist, so I'm just spitballing
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:31 pm

kiwiman wrote:I know the bullion silver is .999 pure but what is the purest silver can possibly be? Is there a much more expensive way to get .9999999999 or something? is there such thing as 1.0?

Canadian Maples are .9999. That's pure enough for me. ;)

I think there is an Aussie coin that is .99999, but I forget which one it is.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:32 pm

natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXBullion » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:34 pm

so why can you not have 100% pure? I think this has= been talked about.
TXBullion

Postby rexmerdinus » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:28 pm

Because nothing is 100% pure--there are always tiny impuritues...and if a mint says 1.000, the first guy that files a lawsuit saying "prove it" is going to walk away with a nice fat check because as soon as a piece of silver is exposed to air it begins to oxidize--and a court of law will call into question the cleanliness of the testing environment. Even if a mint could produce 0.(a million) 9's pure silver, it's best to say 0.999 or 0.9999 or whatever, because if anyone ever challenged the level of purity, the producer would be erring on the side of caution.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:34 pm

So really couldnt you make a round bar that said 1.00 pure *upon refinement by manufacturer or something along those lines. Just seems weird, is that the main reason?
TXBullion

Postby barrytrot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:37 pm

TXBullion wrote:So really couldnt you make a round bar that said 1.00 pure *upon refinement by manufacturer or something along those lines. Just seems weird, is that the main reason?

You could say that, but *why*? People want "physical silver" because they can keep it, use it, trade it. The fact that when *you had it* it was more pure doesn't sound like a selling point.
barrytrot

Postby TXBullion » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:52 pm

barrytrot wrote:
TXBullion wrote:So really couldnt you make a round bar that said 1.00 pure *upon refinement by manufacturer or something along those lines. Just seems weird, is that the main reason?

You could say that, but *why*? People want "physical silver" because they can keep it, use it, trade it. The fact that when *you had it* it was more pure doesn't sound like a selling point.

Just wondering, probably not a great selling point.

I wonder if there was a precedent that established this.

Just trying to know for my own records. Like the Ce symbol on plastic, its everywhere but no one knows what it means :lol:
TXBullion

Postby natsb88 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:09 pm

TXBullion wrote:... Like the Ce symbol on plastic, its everywhere but no one knows what it means :lol:

It's a European thing...

Certain product categories have to meet certain standards to be sold in certain countries, so manufacturers must be certain to comply with those certain standards if they wish to export certain products to certain countries. So it's certainly easier just to make sure all their stuff complies and throw the symbol on everything :lol:
natsb88

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals