ebay and the 25th anniversary set

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

ebay and the 25th anniversary set

Postby daviscfad » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:56 pm

I just got an email from ebay. My set has been removed b.c i don't have it in hand. This is total bs. Anyone else auction been canceled?
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Re: ebay and the 25th anniversary set

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:59 pm

That is bad for pre-order sellers.....but......FANTASTIC FOR EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make folks wait for them and the price only has one way to go.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Yep, mine got removed too.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby daviscfad » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:07 pm

I am pissed honestly. They need to cancel every other item on there instead of picking and choosing. I am probably done with ebay
Spencer Davis

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:07 pm

I thought the rule was you could sell any item as long as you could have it delivered within 30 days?
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby fb101 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Used to be a rule, I think it was you had to have confirmation in hand.
When I heard the other day people promising sets before they were on sale, I wondered how they were getting away with it.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby daviscfad » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:15 pm

Its total crap lol
Spencer Davis

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:18 pm

Sorry you got shut down. Try relisting with "order confirmed" in the title.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby barrytrot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:20 pm

After fees are you going to get substantially more than the $400 per set which "tmat" is offering?

I would think the eBay fees + hassle + potential buyer fraud would make a quick $96/box profit from tmat look pretty attractive.
barrytrot

Postby daviscfad » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:22 pm

here is the email

here it is

Dear wheatman27

We're pleased to have you as part of the eBay Community. However, the following listing(s) were removed and all fees have been credited to your account:

120801252492 - 2011 AMERICAN EAGLE 25th ANNIVERSARY SILVER DOLLAR SET RARE LOW MIINTAGE PRESALE

Because the 2011 25TH SILVER EAGLE ANNIVERSARY SET is in such high demand, requirements have been put in place for 2011 25TH SILVER EAGLE ANNIVERSARY SET sales. It has been reported that the MINT sold out of these within 5 hours. We understand that some sellers on eBay could have potentially placed their order in time, however we request that these coins are not listed unless they are in the physical possession of the seller. We also suggest the following:

- The listing needs to include a unique photo of the item or items, and your User ID needs to be clearly shown in the picture (watermarks will not be accepted).

- To ensure buyer protection, PayPal needs to be the only accepted form of payment.

We understand that you may not have known about these requirements. However, please note that future violations may result in a range of actions, including listing cancellation, limits on account privileges, account suspension, forfeiture of eBay fees on canceled listings, and loss of PowerSeller status.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust & Safety team

H48284
Spencer Davis

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:26 pm

daviscfad wrote:
- To ensure buyer protection, PayPal needs to be the only accepted form of payment.

One day, hopefully soon, eBay will learn that *buyer protection* is only 50% of the equation. I keep hoping that some WISE company will take the ball that eBay keeps trying to fumble away, but no one steps up :(
barrytrot

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:29 pm

barrytrot wrote:
daviscfad wrote:

One day, hopefully soon, eBay will learn that *buyer protection* is only 50% of the equation. I keep hoping that some WISE company will take the ball that eBay keeps trying to fumble away, but no one steps up :(

Why not you Barry.....this is your sort of thing? Get to it. :idea:
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:32 pm

To get $2000 back in your hand from an eBay sell....it needs to end at $2148.58

http://www.rolbe.com/ebay.htm
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby barrytrot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
barrytrot wrote:
daviscfad wrote:

Why not you Barry.....this is your sort of thing? Get to it. :idea:

Programming an auction -> Easy (there are free source code samples out there that have 90% of eBay's features out of the box)

Servers to host it -> Easy also as ramping up 100 servers is now cake for anyone and requires very little up front dough.

HOWEVER:

To run it successfully requires a lot of "seed money". Probably no less than 250 million to compete on any level with eBay. The money goes to advertising, legal, customer support staff, bonding, and payments to foreign governments to get "established". Probably a few more expenses but those are the major ones and each will be quite major.

I'll call the banks I deal with and tell them, "thanks for the pennies, cashiers checks, and wires, would you also loan me 250 million dollars to compete with eBay?"
Last edited by barrytrot on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barrytrot

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:40 pm

:lol: I asked..... :roll:

Start small and specialized...that how that benie baby pushing troll began.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby barrytrot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:42 pm

Rodebaugh wrote::lol: I asked..... :roll:

Start small and specialized...that how that benie baby pushing troll began.

That may work, I suppose, but on a level probably 1% or less of "eBay level". Of course 1% of eBay is a lot for most of us :)
barrytrot

Postby chris6084 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:43 pm

I know this is upsetting to you, but I think it is a good thing that ebay did this. I am sure there are a lot of presellers who ordered 10, 15, 20+ boxes that will have orders cancelled. If they pre sold all of that there will be a lot of unfilled orders.

The mint is pretty good at catching multiple orders. During the dollar coin fiasco, they were pretty strict on the order limits, and catching a lot of the workarounds that people developed.

Now this whole thing of only paying by paypal is BS. Just ebay trying to get more fee$.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:45 pm

chris6084 wrote:I know this is upsetting to you, but I think it is a good thing that ebay did this. I am sure there are a lot of presellers who ordered 10, 15, 20+ boxes that will have orders cancelled. If they pre sold all of that there will be a lot of unfilled orders.

The mint is pretty good at catching multiple orders. During the dollar coin fiasco, they were pretty strict on the order limits, and catching a lot of the workarounds that people developed.

Now this whole thing of only paying by paypal is BS. Just ebay trying to get more fee$.

I don't care either way, but in my opinion:

eBay should come down HARD on those that sell what they don't have.

But not BEFORE THE FACT. Let the honest sellers SELL. The dishonest ones should be the ones getting punished, not using a broad stroke to punish the world.
barrytrot

Postby daviscfad » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:53 pm

I think its good too but don't single my auction out cancel them all
Spencer Davis

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:19 pm

Just looked at eBay. Looks like the eBay "safety" team still has some work to do. I still see many that do not make the cut according to d-man email. If you got them confirmed you should be able to sell em. Ebay's a bunch a frigging turdballs.
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Probably a good call on eBay's part to hold off on these until they ship. I'd venture a guess that A LOT of orders will be canceled as they weed out people that went over the 5 per household limit, and have credit cards that are denied when it comes time to charge them, etc. A "pre-sale" like this is a huge opportunity for scammers to take the money, and by the time the sets are supposed to ship they will have had 2+ weeks to run. I'm sure they will pull the vast majority of the listings, it will just take a little time.

I actually got a phone call today from PayPal asking some questions about my business (what percentage of my sales are bullion, what percentage of the items I sell do I keep in inventory, what my sales outlets are, etc.) A few weeks ago the pre-sale operations that one guy was running for GAEs blew up (after being successful for over a year), to the tune of several MILLION dollars, and I think all of the claims eBay and PayPal have had to deal with from that have prompted them to step up their efforts in the coins and bullion categories.
natsb88

Postby NHsorter » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:13 pm

I bought my sets legitametly today. Why can't I sell them on eBay now? I waited until I got an order confirmation from the mint before I started my auction. Feebay cut my auction off. They really pissed me off on this one. I am done with eBay. These are as good as in my hand so why can't I risk my 100% feedback on my mint order getting delivered. Screw eBay!!!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:33 pm

I'm betting you'll still get top dollar for these if you just wait.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:07 pm

NHsorter wrote:I bought my sets legitametly today. Why can't I sell them on eBay now? I waited until I got an order confirmation from the mint before I started my auction. Feebay cut my auction off. They really pissed me off on this one. I am done with eBay. These are as good as in my hand so why can't I risk my 100% feedback on my mint order getting delivered. Screw eBay!!!

(This isn't directed specifically at you NH, but I'm starting to see a lot of complaints about this here and on other forums, and I wanted to make a few points).

Because honestly an order confirmation is NOT "as good as in my hand." An order confirmation is not a guarantee; your order is not officially accepted until the status is changed to "in stock, reserved" or "confirmed" or something along those lines (I don't remember the exact wording, but I do know an order confirmation email is not an ironclad guarantee that you will get the coins).

I got three order confirmations, and I am 100% certain at least one of them will be canceled, because it's an exact duplicate of my first order (I kept trying to order when the website kept timing out, and eventually it went through twice with the same card and address). I half expect my other orders to be canceled or limited too. I don't think it would be unprecedented for the mint to decide that due to demand, and/or being oversold, that they are going to drop the limit to 2 or 3 sets. It's in their terms that they can choose to deny orders or limit quantities for just about any reason.

If that were to happen, even legitimate pre-sellers would be up a creek, and eBay/PayPal would have a huge influx of disputes to deal with on top of the scammers that will try to take advantage of this product.

Ultimately eBay is a private company, and they can choose to prohibit or restrict the sale of any item they want. If you don't like it, don't do business with them. Plain and simple. And if eBay prohibiting pre-sales for two weeks is going to cause a huge financial problem (for something that was charged to a credit card and won't be due for a month), then sorry, you shouldn't have been playing to begin with.

And I agree with others, this will just create a sharper spike up in price when they do start shipping.
natsb88

Postby penny pretty » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:01 am

whew got 3 sets! took a long time with mints website going crazy!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals