*Updated* Special ASE set that you should buy

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Special ASE set that you should buy

Postby moneydog » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Take a look and let me know what you think.
The Silver nuts over at BS put me on to this one.......I am buying with both hands 8-)

http://mintnewsblog.com/2011/08/25th-an ... announced/

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/st ... ogId=10001

it says there is a coin in the set with a smint mark is this a actul mint mark or just like the rest of them :?
moneydog
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Chief » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:47 pm

chris6084 wrote:I am on the waiting list. I have my fingers crossed hoping that enough duplicate orders get cancelled so that my order gets filled.

How do you know you are on a waiting list? Were you able to order w/ credit card online and got an email saying wait list or what? I'm very curious.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Acutal "S" Mint Mark.......the rest of them (non mint marked san frans) are now just silver.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby chris6084 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Chief wrote:
chris6084 wrote:I am on the waiting list. I have my fingers crossed hoping that enough duplicate orders get cancelled so that my order gets filled.

How do you know you are on a waiting list? Were you able to order w/ credit card online and got an email saying wait list or what? I'm very curious.

They have a message stating that it is a waiting list before you buy. It also states that they can not tell you where you sit on the list. I do not know if I am number 500 or number 50000.

I ordered with my credit card just like any other. If my order goes through I get charged, if not, the order gets cancelled.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OtusLotus » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Got my 2 sets!!!

Didn't want to be greedy and thought I would leave some for the rest of you!

I called 93 times on my cell phone (sorry, it was on my iphone as my girlfriend just corrected me :!: ) kept getting an offer to stay on the line and complete a survey.. lol if I didn't hang up! :lol:

Tried to keep ordering it online, kept getting service gateway errors... and then finally got an email notification.

It was truly exhausting!!!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:17 am

Beau.

Did all of your orders get canceled or just the first "persona" one you placed?

You said you ordered in the first 3 minutes? Well if the U.S mints time clock are 3 mins slow or yours was 3 minutes fast they will cancel your order because you placed in before you were allowed to buy them. Yes, they will take all your information instead of saying "I'm sorry but you can't order them for another 3 mins".
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:03 am

exbingoaddict wrote:I heard reports of HCBTT dumping a 55 drum of zincs in a bank branch across the street from the Mint office. Others claim they thought he was spotted entering and leaving the mint office today with different hats and wigs on.

"My you have a lot of coins.. Please wait while we catch up."

C'mon Coinstar.. faster, faster.. I need the money for those sets! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:10 am

Good thing all those order #'s were for Hayes dollars instead of Eagle sets. Even with a T-1 line I didn't get my 5 sets until about 2:21 PST. Still don't know how many I got on the friends and family plan. Seems like I rolled around with those in the cart for an hour or so before they finally let me check out. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby PolishPunisher » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:50 am

How long do you think it will take for orders to start being "accepted"?
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:11 am

PolishPunisher wrote:How long do you think it will take for orders to start being "accepted"?

Yesterday I believe the mint website had a release date starting November 10.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby moneydog » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Acutal "S" Mint Mark.......the rest of them (non mint marked san frans) are now just silver.

that should be a nice little eagle then :D
moneydog
Penny Pincher Member

Postby moneydog » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:03 pm

Chief wrote:

the lady on phone told me both times i called they were available and then took my orders
moneydog
Penny Pincher Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:45 pm

One of my orders were cancelled.

Had one placed via the internet (took forever to confirm in place cart) meanwhile I was working the phone and got another 5 sets while waiting. Used my business PO Box for the internet order. Used my home address for the phone one. Two different cards for the payments.

Well, once the dust settled Friday, the news came. Logged into the mint site to find that both orders were put to my home address (despite my Business PO Box being my address of record on the Mint Account). Naturally, one order got cancelled. (You're welcome wait listers!).

Try calling Monday and claim different households but I doubt it will go far. I'm a little put that governement employees or their databases went the extra mile for once and picked me off. Oh well. If I get five I can't complain too much.

Guess the lesson to learned is, have different names ready if you want to speculate on Mint products. But is the Mint really going to keep putting out limited products that people want badly though very often. Have my doubts.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby adagirl » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:29 pm

at least you got 5!

welcome to the police state with the government going the extra mile to snag your other 5 sets.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:27 am

Yeah, you just took a different route, they said these were going to sell out within hours, it's not like those in the know were unaware how things would unfold. AND, you inadvertenly reserved a set for someone who did not get one, someone who has nothing will be very happy soon, good job!
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:41 am

highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby NHsorter » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:07 am

I saw a bunch selling for over $1000 on Saturday night so I started a 1-day auction of my own to end on Sunday night and I only ended up pulling in $561.00

I am happy to make the profit, but I was hoping to get more. I'll try to refine my listing, although it included the same stuff as the other high priced auctions. I have 100% feedback, included free priority mail shipping, etc. If I see them snagging $1000 again I might list another with a refined description of some sort. But overall I think I want to hold out until I have them in hand to see where the market is at.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby oktyabyr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:43 pm

oktyabyr
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:59 pm

These now seem to be struggling to even break the $600 mark. I don't understand how the price will increase once people have them in-hand. Adam, could you explain why you believe these will hit a grand each? If the market is so diluted with "supply" right now, how can we expect that "supply" to decrease once there are actually 100,000 sets out there?
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:33 pm

What are the chances the mint would make more sets in the near future with the response they got?

I don't know much about mint sets since I like the beauty of older coins :-)
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:41 pm

Pennysaved wrote:What are the chances the mint would make more sets in the near future with the response they got?

Being Nov now....Next to Zero % chance.

and yes, older coins are way cooler. +1 ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Double3 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Corsair wrote:These now seem to be struggling to even break the $600 mark. I don't understand how the price will increase once people have them in-hand. Adam, could you explain why you believe these will hit a grand each? If the market is so diluted with "supply" right now, how can we expect that "supply" to decrease once there are actually 100,000 sets out there?

I think people are buying them up now to sell for more. $600 will be cheap.

I have no idea what I'm talking about though.
Double3
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:21 pm

Pennysaved wrote:What are the chances the mint would make more sets in the near future with the response they got?

Old coins were at one point new coins :D
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby adagirl » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:23 pm

Double3 wrote:
Corsair wrote:These now seem to be struggling to even break the $600 mark. I don't understand how the price will increase once people have them in-hand. Adam, could you explain why you believe these will hit a grand each? If the market is so diluted with "supply" right now, how can we expect that "supply" to decrease once there are actually 100,000 sets out there?

:lol:

Nonetheless, you poist a good hypothesis. :D
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby Double3 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:20 pm

adagirl wrote:
Double3 wrote:

:lol:

Nonetheless, you poist a good hypothesis. :D

I saw this posted on another forum.

Obviously it is coming from a forum so believe what you want but it sounds reasonable to me.

Although a newbie to the forum, I am not new to coin collecting as I have collected for over 50 years. Just as a word of wisdom on what alot of these sets being sold on the ebay are doing. For one, they are being bought up by employees (and under their user ID's) of cable t.v. shopping network for their company. I know for fact of one in particular that has purchased over 50 sets for their company. Be prepared to see VERY high prices on the tube when they are actually in hand.

Plus the big dealers that got people to send to them. We know they will be selling for high prices.

By the time the dealers/tv sell for high prices and the people buying at $600 flip them the prices will be high....

But like I said I know nothing and I'm pretty new to this. I also have stake in it :lol: :lol:
Double3
Penny Collector Member

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals