ebay and the 25th anniversary set

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: ebay and the 25th anniversary set

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:48 am

Anybody can take a piece of paper and claim their going to get a set in. Ebay ought to be shutting down listings left and right. Hopefully that is what they are doing and not just taking it case by case.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby wbeck » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 am

As someone who once had an eBay store doing BIG bucks... They're complete idiots. They basically ruined a business I had with their ineptitude. You know, like taking down all my auctions, freezing over $30,000 (you read that right) in my Paypal account... And still expecting me to ship all those orders, with no promise of when they might unfreeze that money. Over nothing. A few flaggings from oh so brilliant consumers that I might be selling "bootlegged" items on there, over a period of many months, out of thousands of transactions. Of course the items were legitimate. Not one of these people had actually purchased anything and received an item, they just decided to flag my listing for no apparent reason. I had great feedback, low returns/refunds.

Their problem is the same as the government. They have a bureaucracy. They have policies that take no real world factors into account, like the feedback, volume of sales, etc. Some suit makes an idiotic decision and it is carried out... But not uniformly. Just at random, due to their ineptitude. My business was all screwed up by their stupidity, so I stopped selling on there, and don't do business with eBay or Paypal anymore. Really kind of sucks, because it's a pretty awesome site in a lot of ways.

So anyway, don't be surprised if they never take down some of those auctions, and mess with some of you (but not all!). Only advice is to not disobey any of their commandments they send you in email (that'll really piss them off, and they have policies for such situations), and eventually it'll get straightened out and be ok.
wbeck
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:59 am

natsb88 wrote:
NHsorter wrote:I bought my sets legitametly today. Why can't I sell them on eBay now? I waited until I got an order confirmation from the mint before I started my auction. Feebay cut my auction off. They really pissed me off on this one. I am done with eBay. These are as good as in my hand so why can't I risk my 100% feedback on my mint order getting delivered. Screw eBay!!!

(This isn't directed specifically at you NH, but I'm starting to see a lot of complaints about this here and on other forums, and I wanted to make a few points).

Because honestly an order confirmation is NOT "as good as in my hand." An order confirmation is not a guarantee; your order is not officially accepted until the status is changed to "in stock, reserved" or "confirmed" or something along those lines (I don't remember the exact wording, but I do know an order confirmation email is not an ironclad guarantee that you will get the coins).

I got three order confirmations, and I am 100% certain at least one of them will be canceled, because it's an exact duplicate of my first order (I kept trying to order when the website kept timing out, and eventually it went through twice with the same card and address). I half expect my other orders to be canceled or limited too. I don't think it would be unprecedented for the mint to decide that due to demand, and/or being oversold, that they are going to drop the limit to 2 or 3 sets. It's in their terms that they can choose to deny orders or limit quantities for just about any reason.

If that were to happen, even legitimate pre-sellers would be up a creek, and eBay/PayPal would have a huge influx of disputes to deal with on top of the scammers that will try to take advantage of this product.

Ultimately eBay is a private company, and they can choose to prohibit or restrict the sale of any item they want. If you don't like it, don't do business with them. Plain and simple. And if eBay prohibiting pre-sales for two weeks is going to cause a huge financial problem (for something that was charged to a credit card and won't be due for a month), then sorry, you shouldn't have been playing to begin with.

And I agree with others, this will just create a sharper spike up in price when they do start shipping.

You make a good argument, but I am still pissed because I have order confirmations for 20 sets. I was trying to sell one set. I think that there is a pretty good chance that I will at least get one. I know that eBay has no way of knowing that. If they cancelled all of the other auctions for these than that would be one thing. But there are still tons of the auctions up there selling. I wanted to sell one friggin set on eBay, I am not abusing anything. They truly suck.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:10 am

In reality an order confirmation doesn't mean squat. If you read the email you got it list like 5 reasons that your order can be canceled. Once you get an order accepetance email than you know you are good to go.

I think the 30 day rule still applies because ebay canceled all auctions and bin for the sets untill 30 days before the realease.

Without being able to see what you exactly said in your auction daviscfd I can't try to explain why ebay shut you down. Ebay really should shut down everyone but it looks like that is not going to happen.

Ebay used to be good but now its run like a gov.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:17 am

While I do not agree with a lot of what eBay does.. I can certainly see how they are saving themselves some grief here. What if the aftermarket doubles? Do you really think some of these guys selling sets they don't have in hand are going to deliver at the original price even if they get their orders? Suddenly the item becomes "lost" We used to see these presale deals on boxes of new pennies every year that someimes the seller never managed to get in hand. Now maybe if they placed the funds in escrow and the seller had to buy the sets at market price to fill the orders if they could not procure them the normal way.. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:24 am

highroller4321 wrote:In reality an order confirmation doesn't mean squat. If you read the email you got it list like 5 reasons that your order can be canceled. Once you get an order accepetance email than you know you are good to go.

Exactamundo! If somebody files suit againest you, just take them a note form your attorney saying what you did was probably ok. See if they say, 'oh gee whiz beaver, we better drop suit, you have a note that says it's maybe ok'.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:31 am

wbeck wrote:As someone who once had an eBay store doing BIG bucks... They're complete idiots. They basically ruined a business I had with their ineptitude. You know, like taking down all my auctions, freezing over $30,000 (you read that right) in my Paypal account... And still expecting me to ship all those orders, with no promise of when they might unfreeze that money. Over nothing. A few flaggings from oh so brilliant consumers that I might be selling "bootlegged" items on there, over a period of many months, out of thousands of transactions. Of course the items were legitimate. Not one of these people had actually purchased anything and received an item, they just decided to flag my listing for no apparent reason. I had great feedback, low returns/refunds.

Their problem is the same as the government. They have a bureaucracy. They have policies that take no real world factors into account, like the feedback, volume of sales, etc. Some suit makes an idiotic decision and it is carried out... But not uniformly. Just at random, due to their ineptitude. My business was all screwed up by their stupidity, so I stopped selling on there, and don't do business with eBay or Paypal anymore. Really kind of sucks, because it's a pretty awesome site in a lot of ways.

That's life when you in business for yourself. Customers are a pain, vendors are a pain, creditors are a pain. Nothing is ever easy. It's amazing anything ever gets done in this world. It truly is.

Quite right on the bureaucracy part. Most large interational firms start to just operate the same as the federal governement does. One size fits all policies that don't make sense.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:46 am

exbingoaddict wrote:That's life when you in business for yourself. Customers are a pain, vendors are a pain, creditors are a pain. Nothing is ever easy. It's amazing anything ever gets done in this world. It truly is.

Here is why it works and why "the 1%" EXIST: If you put up with that pain for a long time you make more money than if you would have just "worked for someone else".
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby scrapper2010 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:11 am

Has anyone tried re-listing?
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:19 am

I'm not gonna re-list. There is a direct threat against doing so right in the friendly "your cut off" email from them.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:23 pm

barrytrot wrote:Here is why it works and why "the 1%" EXIST: If you put up with that pain for a long time you make more money than if you would have just "worked for someone else".

That’s the point. Being self employed or owning and managing a business has a lot of headaches. That’s the reality of it. (Anybody want to hear how many problems and gripes I’m having in my business? Didn’t think so.)
However, as you pointed out, there are unlimited rewards to being self employed. While the road is not at all easy, it can be quite worth it.

There’s various ways you can join the “1%”. There’s nothing wrong with being on somebody else’s payroll. One of the wisest men I ever met said, “NEVER limit your options”. Words to live by.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:01 pm

Yea I had my 1 auction pulled with the same letter. I've sold 2 on buy it nows for 500 each. Gonna hold onto the other three for now I guess. Got my order in at 1130 so I'm not really worried about it, unless of course they lower the limit.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby twentybux » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:38 am

Have you guys looked at ebay this morning. I saw one set of these going for over $800. What gives? One day sale and this guy doesn't have these coins in hand! Darn ebay picking and choosing. :evil:
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:42 am

I'm trying my hand at the Bay today with a couple high $$$ buy it nows.

I'll keep you all posted.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:02 pm

Being a bit of a pessimist, I am afraid to put any of my sets on ebay before I have them in hand. Does anyone else get nervous about something going wrong or did you get enough sets to not worry about selling a few?
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:13 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Being a bit of a pessimist, I am afraid to put any of my sets on ebay before I have them in hand. Does anyone else get nervous about something going wrong or did you get enough sets to not worry about selling a few?

Whenever I have something with a level of risk, I have another ebay account for those. Everything has gone well and its 100% but I wouldnt want to kill my rep.

Ex: I sold some pool equipment a while back and it was last known to work. I disclosed this as well as I would not guarantee it. I didnt want to get a bad feedback so I ran in udner my second account. :D
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:28 pm

IMO...If I don't get my coins.......no one (that ordered from the mint) will get their coins.

I got WVCoin's order in at 12:57.....all should work out smoothly. Now if my "proof of confirmation" is cleared by eBay and my coins auctions don't get pulled...Some money may be made.

fingers crossed.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby No82s » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:31 pm

What is your "proof of confirmation"?
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:37 pm

No82s wrote:What is your "proof of confirmation"?

Looking at completed sells I found what had been working for other sellers and did it myself.

Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby No82s » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks Doc.
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:09 pm

How does one person buy 20 sets?, just curious because of the limit. I had a feeling, the email confirmation might be enough to list. Still,it's good to know people are going to be dumping lots of sets with demand the way it is.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:29 pm

I got 20 by having family members with no coin interests to buy sets for me. I wish that I had asked more to try!
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:33 pm

NHsorter wrote:I got 20 by having family members with no coin interests to buy sets for me. I wish that I had asked more to try!

I wish I had done that. I could have had at least 10 more sets and would have been happy to reward my "helpers".
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:53 pm

There are tons of pre-sale listings still on the bay so they must have only shut down some folks.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby daviscfad » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:40 pm

I think they are still shouting them sown as they are them
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder