Great Silver Deal.......Move on it guys.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Great Silver Deal.......Move on it guys.

Postby SoFa » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:05 am

It's a good deal because they go for more than $20 on ebay.
The face value is almost irrelevant to me because I don't live anywhere near Canada and I would lose money converting it.
The silver is a bonus, but not a big deal because it's way over spot.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby hags » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:59 am

A $8 silver put for a $20 fiat call....brilliant marketing by the Canadian Mint.....they’re ahead either way….not so for the buyer….

hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:50 pm

If you dont want them dont buy them. Im trying to get ten of them but I only have three so far. I went to the mint last weekend and they told me they sold out and gave me a number to call so I can find out when they get more in. The worst part about the deal is you can only buy 3 at a time. I like the look of the coin as well. I think it is my new favourite design. At first glance I thought it was nice but the more i looked the more I liked it.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby twentybux » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:03 am

Thanks for the heads up, Doc! :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:11 am

It just hit me what the debate/argument on this thread is. This is an opportunity to go back in time to when coinage was silver. If you could go back to 1965 or 66 and find a bunch of silver coinanage after they made the switch, would you have been happy and kept the silver coins or would you have used them as spending money because the face value was higher then the melt value at the time? With the knowledge gained from this site Im sure most would like to think they would have kept them.

I understand that some people dont have any use for CAD and thus one of the advantages of this offer is taken away, but to those who use CAD this is an oppertunty to go back in time to when our money had silver in it.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:22 am

I saw this advertised in the paper while I was traveling this week, was briefly attracted, did the personal math and declined. If the US mint did this I would jump on it. If I was in Canada, I would jump on it. But with me being in US, and the deal in Canadian - not so much, for me personally. But - great idea, and I wish the US would do this. Maybe this will cause the US Mint to consider it, if it's successful, so - go, go, go - buy 'em all up! ;) I'm backing you all the way.... :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:29 am

Rich too?.................Well I give up.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:48 am

stevkc wrote:I'm not seeing why this is such a great deal. Not that it is bad, but why is it so great?

So I pay approx. $20 US for $20 face in Canadian money. Assuming the exchange rate doesn't go too crazy in one direction, there doesn't seem to be a lot of downside (although since a $20 Canadian coin isn't all that spendable in Kansas, I need the coin to appreciate to make it worth buying them).

But the upside seems pretty limited. Despite the $20 face value, the silver content is only about 1/4 oz, which is about $8 melt. So silver would have to go to $80/oz to have $20 worth of silver. Where is the value? Is there a great numismatic value? With a mintage of 250,000 they aren't really that rare. Yes, if silver tanks, it is still worth $20 Canadian, but if that happens, I'd rather have my US $20 than Canadian $20. Just wondering...

I like the looks of the coin, but thanks but no thanks. I don't care what the nominal fiat value in Canadian is, it has no bearing unless you live in Canada. I'm not going to take the time nor effort to flip these for a few extra dollars (after fees) on ebay. Bottom line, while I admire the appearance of the coin, this "clever marketing ploy" by the Canadian Mint actually dilutes the purchasing effect of silver buyers on the shrinking above-ground silver stockpile. For a little bit of glitter, and a fiat promise, like a few others have noted, you get (relying on others math) $8 worth of silver. What I get in exchange is not worth the opportunity cost of the lost silver I could have had... another $52 worth. I would far rather have nearly two ounces of silver, than 1/4 for about the same price. But hey, that's just me. It is a very nice looking coin. Sorry, but when I can buy something with eight times the value for the same money... to me, that's the no-brainer
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:59 am

Don't let me be a wet blanket. Everyone needs to make these decisions based on their personal situation. As some have noted, there may be a resale opportunity. But I'm a buy and hold guy. So for me personally, if I'm going to pay face value for a currency that doesn't have metal content that meets or exceeds what I'm paying for it, it would need to be domestic to whatever country I'm in. But I encourage it for anyone for which this works. All the Canunks should be jumping on this, as well as (perhaps) anyone US who is near the border, or anyone that cares to flip.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby barrytrot » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:14 am

I agree that if this is part of your "silver budget" then it doesn't make sense. For me it is outside of that, and it is something that I know will at least maintain it's value. Not a bad thing :)
barrytrot

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:16 am

Hard to find a down side...I'm in for three...thanks!
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AFModell » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:26 pm

frugalcanuck,

I just submitted my order for 3. If you like, I will sell them to you at cost plus shipping to Canada so you can get to your 10 goal. Let me know! I should be back home about the time they arrive in the mail, or a few days after.

Otherwise, Ill just keep them until I can go to Canada and spend'em. ;)
AFModell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Picked up three at the Mint store today. Really good looking coin :)
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:10 am

The logic on these coins is similar to stacking CuNi nickels. Might be under 5 cents today, but they won't be in 30 years...and if for some miraculous reason the gov't stops debasing, they are worth what you paid :)
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby tbram88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:07 pm

These have sold out in 34 days, I hope they ship my three soon.

All the best...Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:38 pm

Got mine about a week ago, neat looking 8-)
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:14 pm

I'm glad you guys like them. Enjoy them. I'm sticking with my original premise that I'd rather have eight times the silver for the same money.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby tbram88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:25 pm

I plan to keep one and flip 2, maybe make a quick buck. It would be really sweet if I could trade one for the other $20.00 coin.

All the best...Bob.
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:35 pm

beauanderos wrote:I'm glad you guys like them. Enjoy them. I'm sticking with my original premise that I'd rather have eight times the silver for the same money.

Christmas morning arrived and out stepped Ebenezer Ray to say to the first realcenter he could see......"Bah humbug, I don't want your $20 CAD coins or your Special ASE sets."
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:29 pm

Got mine today. Upon closer inspection, it appears to me that the canoer is upside down on the coin! Am I crazy? If you look at it with the word Canada upside down, the canoer looks more correct.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby justj2k78 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:35 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
beauanderos wrote:I'm glad you guys like them. Enjoy them. I'm sticking with my original premise that I'd rather have eight times the silver for the same money.

Christmas morning arrived and out stepped Ebenezer Ray to say to the first realcenter he could see......"Bah humbug, I don't want your $20 CAD coins or your Special ASE sets."

I almost bought some of the $20 CAD coins, but in the end, I decided my stack was too small to begin widening my focus. Seemed like a cool premise though, and I can hit Canada with a rock, from my house. Those ASEs though... couldn't partake this time, but I'll be waiting when the 30th anniversary comes around!!! :lol:
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:44 pm

justj2k78 wrote:
I almost bought some of the $20 CAD coins, but in the end, I decided my stack was too small to begin widening my focus. Seemed like a cool premise though, and I can hit Canada with a rock, from my house. Those ASEs though... couldn't partake this time, but I'll be waiting when the 30th anniversary comes around!!! :lol:

glad i wasnt the only one !
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby justj2k78 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:41 pm

aloneibreak wrote:
justj2k78 wrote:

glad i wasnt the only one !

I have 5 ASEs in a shoe box, and I'm pretending. I ALREADY HAVE MINE AND YOU ALL HAVE TO WAIT!!!!!!! :shock: :|
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby needler420 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:42 pm

Its a deal only good for Canadians if the face value was for America is be good for us. Unless there is a way to convert the currency that I'm unaware of . Though you couldn't switch out foreign coins anymore.
needler420
Penny Sorter Member

Postby tbram88 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:48 am

tbram88
Penny Collector Member

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals