*Updated* Special ASE set that you should buy

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Special ASE set that you should buy

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:03 pm

highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:11 pm

Corsair wrote:These now seem to be struggling to even break the $600 mark. I don't understand how the price will increase once people have them in-hand. Adam, could you explain why you believe these will hit a grand each? If the market is so diluted with "supply" right now, how can we expect that "supply" to decrease once there are actually 100,000 sets out there?

Because the market isnt diluted....Ebay is appearing to be bigger than it is because you can sell something before you even have it! :shock:
I would guess that 15% of all of the people who are selling these on ebay aren't able to get them. Once people start getting them in hand there is going to be a decent number that get hoarded and put away. Also people start sending them in for grading that will tie up 20% of all the coins for a month or so which will create a slight price bubble. Once these actually get into the market there will be a breif feeding frenzy! Wait untill people start having them in hand on ebay and at a coin show. BIG numbers! You also have to remember that it is nearing X-mas time so this would make an excellent gift for a coin collector.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Nystagmus » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:39 pm

Just checked my order status. My first order was for 3 and my second order was for 2.

The status of the first order says: "Your order request is on hold."
The status of the second order says: "Your order request is in process."

I have no idea why they would be different. Does anyone who ordered their 5 in separate boxes have the same thing?
Nystagmus

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:20 pm

Corsair wrote:These now seem to be struggling to even break the $600 mark. I don't understand how the price will increase once people have them in-hand. Adam, could you explain why you believe these will hit a grand each? If the market is so diluted with "supply" right now, how can we expect that "supply" to decrease once there are actually 100,000 sets out there?

I don't know either. All I know is when the 2006 anniversay set came out for 100-125?? I bought 2 sets and sold them right away for around 200.00, when I got them in the mail from the mint. A week or two later the price went up to 250-300.00 each and I was pissed at myself for not waiting a bit. Most US mint products flare up right away and moderatly flame out in price. This was not the case with the last anniversary set and it has held its price so..... Hopefully they climb out of control in price when the auctions cannot keep pace with people bidding on them :) Crossing my fingers here...

Scotty
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:27 am

What are the 2006 sets selling for lately?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:05 am

NHsorter wrote:What are the 2006 sets selling for lately?

Quick scan of ebay shows $330-400 on a regular basis. This is a little over half of their peak price...
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:10 pm

I am nervous about the price slipping so I am pre-saling most of mine. I sold the whole box of 5 sets that my girlfriend ordered for about 3000. I could not help taking the massive profit even though it is definitely possible that these will go even higher.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:14 pm

blackrabbit wrote:I am nervous about the price slipping so I am pre-saling most of mine. I sold the whole box of 5 sets that my girlfriend ordered for about 3000. I could not help taking the massive profit even though it is definitely possible that these will go even higher.

Where did you sell them, if you don't mind telling us?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Good ole feebay! Not sure how much those fees are going to eat of the profit but I still really can't complain. I wish I had tried to convince other loved ones to buy these, as I don't see how you can't make an easy grand off each 5 set order. You be should make a lot more if you are smart or lucky. Good luck to all, thanks again to Doc and the rest of you enablers.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:02 pm

Just saw one sell for $660, and another just minutes later go for $621. All depends on the luck of the draw, I suppose.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:14 am

Looked at the completed listings today looks like 5 sets are selling consistently for $3000 give or take a few bucks. Which seems to be about a $300-$500 jump from last week/weekend.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:10 pm

Just got this email, as I'm sure you guys have, from the mint:

Dear United States Mint Customer:

We are fully aware of the difficulties many customers encountered last week with the release of the American Eagle 25th Anniversary Set. We would like you to know that we have undertaken an aggressive review of how we brought the product to market so we can better serve all of our customers in the future. Dick Peterson, the Deputy Director of the United States Mint, has also directed that the bureau review all future product offerings to ensure that we apply to them the lessons we learned from the marketing of the American Eagle 25th Anniversary Set.

One of the principal sources of frustration was our web and phone order-taking system. As many of you know, we are in the process of updating our order management system. Our current system is very outdated and we recognize that it does not serve our customers well. Accordingly, we recently selected a contractor that will develop and implement our new system—one that will be modern and comparable to other top-rated retail Web sites. Unfortunately, this transition will take some time; we are anticipating that the new system will be in place by fall 2012.

Our aim is to work earnestly to ensure that the inconvenience and frustration that our regular customers may have encountered last week is mitigated in 2012 as we re-examine our product launch strategies and systems. We value our relationship with you and are committed to serving you professionally and responsively. You deserve no less!

The United States Mint

This message was sent from a notification only e-mail address that cannot accept incoming e-mail messages. Please do not reply. Visit http://www.usmint.gov for more information.

I'm pretty sure this the same type of of email the mint sent out after the the 20th Anniversary set debacle. Anyone else think nothing will change?

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:30 pm

DirtyFingers wrote:]
I'm pretty sure this the same type of of email the mint sent out after the the 20th Anniversary set debacle. Anyone else think nothing will change?

DF

It's the government, so, yes.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:31 pm

Good thing theres no mention of an investigation into multie set purchasers lol

Slickeast, are you the contractor they are considering to optimize their ordering system?
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Have you seen the 70 auctions... Wow are they crazy...
Call me crazy but I'm sendIng in one of my orders for grading. I might sell one but I just have to take the chance. Currently from 30 years I have 0 graded sets... Don't see the need but I have to admit I always wanted one.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:19 am

TXBullion wrote:Good thing theres no mention of an investigation into multie set purchasers lol

Slickeast, are you the contractor they are considering to optimize their ordering system?

I like the way the currant system works. I got through 5 times. Could have went through more if needed.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cfnnb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 am

I have a question for the guys that have already sold some on ebay. I see many selling 1 set, are you just going to open the boxes of 5 and split them up? I am trying to figure out what I should do on these! thanks
cfnnb
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:02 pm

PCGS E-MAIL I just got:

IMPORTANT UPDATE: November 10, 2011. We have received the first submissions of the 25th Anniversary Coins. The mint sealed packaging includes a Certificate of Authenticity. That certificate lists all 5 coins. In that list the bullion coin with no mint mark is reported to be minted in either San Francisco or West Point. This information conflicts with earlier reports so PCGS contacted the mint directly. We were told by a mint official that while most of the no mint coins were minted in San Francisco there is no guarantee that all of the no mint coins were minted there. Consequently PCGS cannot label the no mint coins as (S) as originally planned. Those coins are still eligible for 25th Anniversary Labels and for First Strike according to the already published guidelines. We apologize for all the confusion.

PCGS will recognize all five coins as 25th Anniversary coins if they are submitted in their original, unopened mint packaging. Since the "S" mint and Reverse Proof have only been made for the 25th Anniversary set, they can be sent in from an opened mint package and still receive the 25th Anniversary designation; however, the other coins in the set cannot. In order to have all five coins designated as 25th Anniversary they must be submitted in their unopened mint packaging.

All five of the coins are eligible for recognition as First Strike. Standard First Strike rules apply; see our submission form to select this option.

To submit your Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set, please follow these guidelines:

•Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Sets may be submitted under the Modern service level or higher
•To receive the 25th Anniversary Set designation, sets must be submitted in their unopened (sealed) mint packaging
•All five (5) coins are eligible for First Strike designation for an additional $18 per coin
•Coins submitted for First Strike will receive the First Strike label
•First Strike cutoff date: December 7, 2011
•Only the "S" mint and reverse proof may be submitted from an opened mint package and still receive the 25th Anniversary Set and First Strike designation
•All 25th Anniversary coins, including First Strike, will be assigned a unique PCGS number (see below)
•Additional First Strike submission guidelines may be found at www.pcgs.com/services/firststrike.html.
•For Bulk submissions, please contact PCGS Customer Service.
Coin # Date Variety Designation
509185 2011 Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set MS
509408 2011 Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set-First Strike MS
509299 2011-S Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set MS
509189 2011-S Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set-First Strike MS
509190 2011-W Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set MS
509409 2011-W Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set-First Strike MS
509191 2011-W Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set PR
509410 2011-W Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set-First Strike PR
509192 2011-P Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set-Reverse Proof Reverse PR
509194 2011-P Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set- Proof Reverse First Strike PR
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: *Updated* Special ASE set that you should buy

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:58 pm

Just got my sets in the mail......OFF to Ebay for a little while.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Saabman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:22 pm

Just got mine today!!!!! Wooohooooo!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby texcollex » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:40 pm

Got shipping confirmation, finally! Hope prices hold up.
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Why wouldn't the price hold up, it took 10 months after the 20th anniversary's sold out before the price peaked.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:38 pm

I'd like to see a chart for that.
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby texcollex » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:18 pm

everything wrote:Why wouldn't the price hold up, it took 10 months after the 20th anniversary's sold out before the price peaked.

Glad to hear that.

My dad's sets arrived today. It appears that single sets are selling better than boxes of five sets at this moment. Think its worth it to break open the shipping crate?
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals