What do you think of... 2011 America the Beautiful Five Ounc

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What do you think of... 2011 America the Beautiful Five Ounc

Postby mtldealer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:37 am

I'm trying to get feedback on whether you guys think this is worth it... I am new to all this and would really appreciate your opinions.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&mpe_id=10101&productId=16434&intv_id=10551&evtype=CpgnClick&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&ddkey=ClickInfo

thanks
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Re: What do you think of... 2011 America the Beautiful Five

Postby Trey » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:58 am

They're cool coins. Not worthwhile as bullion but holds decent collectors value. I'm currently considering picking a few up simply to see what a five ounce coin feels like...

If you're into numismatic coins, then go for it. But, otherwise, just stick to low premium bullion coins ;)
Trey

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:02 pm

They are overpriced hockey pucks. I jumped on the 2010 bandwagon and still hold mine. Cool to hold but I would almost rather hold something smaller that has less premium per ounce. Just my 2 cents.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby twoten01 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:13 pm

I have the bullion version of Gettsyburg(which I somehow won on ebay for almost $2 oz under spot at the time) nice size coin. I plan on picking up a few others from places I have been. Now you want to feel a hefty coin, pick up a kilo kookaburra. Amazing.
twoten01
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:31 pm

I like them. I won't buy all of them just because I don't have that much money, but I will buy the ones I've been to or the ones I like. If you are interested, you can get them quite a bit cheaper from other places than the mint. These are around $190, which isn't much over spot. And I would definitely rather have one of these than 5 random 1 ounce coins.

http://www.providentmetals.com/2011-ame ... -park.html
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Just can't find a soft spot in my hoarding heart for them. Bought a couple thinking if I actually owned them I'd learn to like 'em. Not the case. Silver is silver, but make mine in the form of something more interesting and less ugly. As the price of silver (hopefully) vaults forward, these will be the first to be sold. Only thing worse than these is an ATB bloated quarter in a PCGS or NGC holder.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:07 pm

I think they are cool if you can pick them up for a couple dollars an oz over spot......
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Know Common Cents wrote:Just can't find a soft spot in my hoarding heart for them. Bought a couple thinking if I actually owned them I'd learn to like 'em. Not the case. Silver is silver, but make mine in the form of something more interesting and less ugly. As the price of silver (hopefully) vaults forward, these will be the first to be sold. Only thing worse than these is an ATB bloated quarter in a PCGS or NGC holder.

Couldn't have written it better myself.....+1 Sir.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby exbingoaddict » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:28 pm

If you want one or more because you just want to collect them: Sure

If you think their going to rise in value (outside the price of silver going up): I hear a Jim Cramer "Don't Buy!"
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby SoFa » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:35 am

It would be a tough set for the average collector due to the price per coin. They aren't all that rare and they made two versions of each, plus the three regular sized versions of each design (business strike, clad proof and silver proof). So I think there's just too much to collect.

Some of them might find interest in the future based on subject matter (e.g. Gettysburg for Cival War collectors) or possibly rarity (as the series drags on they might not sell as many).
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby mtldealer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:30 am

Thank You for all the feedback... I really appreciate it.
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:50 am

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:51 am

I had to read this article twice and I’m still left starching my head. The author jumps around more than the protagonist in an arcade game of frogger. Every time it starts to make a point it jumps off into something else. It goes from rising silver prices to hoping that 2012 designs will be better. Huh?

The only part that really made sense was his closing advice. Collect what you enjoy instead of trying to speculate on modern mint products. That’s sound wisdom for these ATB hockey pucks.

That said if you can get 5 oz coin at spot or less premium then alternatives, that’s a no brainer. Which is a topic he seems to weave into a very wordy filled article.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Treetop » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:49 am

im a huge fan of commemorative coins. That said... 5 ounces of over priced metal, doesnt seem worth it to me.

As sofa pointed out, these come in regular quarter sized silver proofs as well. So if you like to collect the different designs you can get them all in under an ounce of 90% silver without that much of a premium if you look around. I got mine on ebay for like 3 bucks over spot.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby daviscfad » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:19 am

The coins are nice but the premium is high for turning and earning. I have all 52010 sets but held of on 2011 set.
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:37 am

180 to 200 bid, at 4 Nov...on 1 to 4 coins.

(they'd make nice steer or cow herd coins)
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby wbeck » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:54 pm

I have one 5 oz coin, a Liberty Dollar (NORFED) $100 face IIRC. I think it's pretty neat. As others have said as an investment, probably not the best... But if you think it's cool go for it! And who knows, maybe it will have some collectible value someday. My Liberty Dollar wasn't worth squat when I bought it, now depending on the year they go for 450-800 bucks!
wbeck
Penny Sorter Member

Postby pennymanofmoney » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:07 pm

I don't like them because of the familiarity of them being silver. For me, sticking with 1964 junk coins and silver eagles/maple leaves/other governmental issued silver bullion is the way to go.
pennymanofmoney

Postby PeacePeople » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:10 pm

I'm not sure about the P version of these, but I do think the bullion version are a good way to have cheap govt issue .999 silver. You just never know what will be the hot ticket in the future. Look at the first spouse gold coins. It took 4 years and all of the sudden the least sought after, year 2 and 3 just took off in value as there was such a limited supply. I'm not saying this is the same thing, but it's something that could make you think, hmmmm.
PeacePeople
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tractorman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:56 pm

I grew up hiking through the Shawnee National Forest and still visit regularly. The quarter comes out in 2016 and if they make one of these in 5 oz silver, I might buy it. Will silver even be affordable then? As for the series in general, I'm not enamored, but it is a government issue so I don't see recognition as much of a problem.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby louisianagold » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:05 pm

Simply buy what you like. I think the "P" pucks will, in time, be of value.
louisianagold
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cshe091 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:49 pm

louisianagold wrote:Simply buy what you like. I think the "P" pucks will, in time, be of value.

I have to agree. If you buy what you like, you never over pay.
cshe091

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:39 pm

tractorman wrote:I grew up hiking through the Shawnee National Forest and still visit regularly. The quarter comes out in 2016 and if they make one of these in 5 oz silver, I might buy it. Will silver even be affordable then? As for the series in general, I'm not enamored, but it is a government issue so I don't see recognition as much of a problem.

Just buy one now and sell it once the one you want comes out. These are bullion so the value for one should be about the same as another. You lock in your price now.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hejira11 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:53 pm

cshe091 wrote:
louisianagold wrote:Simply buy what you like. I think the "P" pucks will, in time, be of value.

I have to agree. If you buy what you like, you never over pay.

+1
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:58 pm

inflationhawk wrote:
tractorman wrote:I grew up hiking through the Shawnee National Forest and still visit regularly. The quarter comes out in 2016 and if they make one of these in 5 oz silver, I might buy it. Will silver even be affordable then? As for the series in general, I'm not enamored, but it is a government issue so I don't see recognition as much of a problem.

Just buy one now and sell it once the one you want comes out. These are bullion so the value for one should be about the same as another. You lock in your price now.

Hmmmm ... I hadn't thought of that. Not a bad idea.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals