Imminent Silver Correction

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Imminent Silver Correction

Postby beauanderos » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:01 pm

TXBullion wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:Aloha friends. My apologies that I am not able to be here more to chat with friends. Appreciate the kind remarks. It would seem that the same conditions exist as posted earlier. A massive deleveraging event seems to be building as now the ECB is cutting rates as they previously vowed not to. Risk on demand is drying up like cement. Supply and USD tidal shift in the works. Perhaps I'll be 100% wrong. The future is always unknowable. Mind your risk.

Cheers!
J

Can you clarify what is "risk on demand"? I have not heard that before and is intriguing :)

The "non-hyperinflationary scenario" driven gold and silver bullish camps are sometimes characterized as "risk trades," meaning that parties given to beliefs that global fiat currency will continue depreciationary trends will continue to do so given the continuing influence of world events supportive of such a stance. If things unravel, PM's would trend upwards, absent that, they could fall to previous levels of support. When the risk trades dry up, those hedgies or sovereign wealth funds that had been chasing the latest hot trend move on, leaving prices to collapse in the sudden vacuum.
Last edited by beauanderos on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:04 pm

TXBullion wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:Aloha friends. My apologies that I am not able to be here more to chat with friends. Appreciate the kind remarks. It would seem that the same conditions exist as posted earlier. A massive deleveraging event seems to be building as now the ECB is cutting rates as they previously vowed not to. Risk on demand is drying up like cement. Supply and USD tidal shift in the works. Perhaps I'll be 100% wrong. The future is always unknowable. Mind your risk.

Cheers!
J

Can you clarify what is "risk on demand"? I have not heard that before and is intriguing :)

If economies are shrinking, demand for commodities will fall. If this happens at the same time that the Euro is dropping (due to rate cuts, which were not expected), the dollar will rise, perhaps spectacularly. This combination of factors could cause the price of silver to fall considerably and lead to the silver correction mentioned in the title of this thread. It's amazing to me that 120 some odd posts later this thread is still sticking to the original post theme.

JFF, don't be a stranger.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:31 pm

The reason the thread still exists is that there will always be an imminent silver correction, and many camps can be correct, depending on your timeline. Both long-term bulls and short-term bears could be correct, within their context. If you are actively trading PM related items this risk on/risk off stuff matters. If you're a long-term buyer/stacker, it matters very little.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:12 pm

68Camaro wrote:The reason the thread still exists is that there will always be an imminent silver correction, and many camps can be correct, depending on your timeline. Both long-term bulls and short-term bears could be correct, within their context. If you are actively trading PM related items this risk on/risk off stuff matters. If you're a long-term buyer/stacker, it matters very little.

True, but if I have some FRNs to burn on silver purchases and have credible data that says the price could fall tomorrow, I will likely delay my purchase. So this info is relevant to me and I never plan on trading anything. (You can check my feedback thread and see that nobody ever bought anything from me. Same is true on bullion stacker) I'm waiting for the day when silver becomes money again and I just spend it (with purchasing power greatly enhanced over the current fiat, of course).

But besides that, most threads do get hijacked and end up discussing dust bunnies under the beds of famous people in medieval Poland, for example. :D
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:36 pm

I understand what you're saying, and it is good to try to optmize, but don't overthink it. So, in this context we're talking about literal/physical delivery, not ETFs, etc.

Ok - here's what you need to hear. Yes, the price of silver will go down. :) There - that make you feel better? ;) Is that all you need to know? No. Even if I could be 100% certain on that (and I'm not), I would still have to deal with these other questions:

When? I don't know.

How much? I don't know.

Will the dip be of sufficient magnitude and duration that it will actually translate to an attainable change in the buying price of physical for me personally? I don't know.

Will there be real silver of right type (not 1000 oz bars sitting in London) available to easily and legally buy, when it does go down? I don't know.

So - those extra questions complicate things a bit...

Keep in mind that those that try to overthink the market often end up sitting by the sidelines, missing the boat. You can buy now at $34, possibly missing a dip to $23, and when that happens you can kick yourself. Blast, I could have bought at $23, you tell yourself. (Well, I could've/should've/would've bought at lot more at $12 or $18, and I didn't - gotta put that in the past.) So you don't buy at $34. You wait. It dips back to $28, ah, it's getting tempting, but it happens overnight, on a Sunday, in the Far East. By Monday moring it's back up to $30, so you wait. This type of things keeps up. Next thing you know it's at $75 and going to the moon, you've not bought anything. Avoid that type of second-guessing. Just my 2 cents.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Mossy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:54 pm

68Camaro wrote: Next thing you know it's at $75 and going to the moon, you've not bought anything. Avoid that type of second-guessing. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, man. I'm an expert at this.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:11 pm

Anticipating a wild Friday market. Let's see..
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:14 pm

68Camaro wrote:The reason the thread still exists is that there will always be an imminent silver correction, and many camps can be correct, depending on your timeline. Both long-term bulls and short-term bears could be correct, within their context. If you are actively trading PM related items this risk on/risk off stuff matters. If you're a long-term buyer/stacker, it matters very little.

Feel free to comment anytime. You could even see the opposite scenario that you posted. Short term bulls correct and long term bears just the same.

Cheers.
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:31 pm

68Camaro wrote:I understand what you're saying, and it is good to try to optmize, but don't overthink it. So, in this context we're talking about literal/physical delivery, not ETFs, etc.

Ok - here's what you need to hear. Yes, the price of silver will go down. :) There - that make you feel better? ;) Is that all you need to know? No. Even if I could be 100% certain on that (and I'm not), I would still have to deal with these other questions:

When? I don't know.

How much? I don't know.

Will the dip be of sufficient magnitude and duration that it will actually translate to an attainable change in the buying price of physical for me personally? I don't know.

Will there be real silver of right type (not 1000 oz bars sitting in London) available to easily and legally buy, when it does go down? I don't know.

So - those extra questions complicate things a bit...

Keep in mind that those that try to overthink the market often end up sitting by the sidelines, missing the boat. You can buy now at $34, possibly missing a dip to $23, and when that happens you can kick yourself. Blast, I could have bought at $23, you tell yourself. (Well, I could've/should've/would've bought at lot more at $12 or $18, and I didn't - gotta put that in the past.) So you don't buy at $34. You wait. It dips back to $28, ah, it's getting tempting, but it happens overnight, on a Sunday, in the Far East. By Monday moring it's back up to $30, so you wait. This type of things keeps up. Next thing you know it's at $75 and going to the moon, you've not bought anything. Avoid that type of second-guessing. Just my 2 cents.

Exactly why I enjoy reading 68camaro's posts. He's very level headed, straightforward and articulate--same goes for Neilgin1 ;)
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:31 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:

Feel free to comment anytime. You could even see the opposite scenario that you posted. Short term bulls correct and long term bears just the same.

Cheers.

Correct, anything is possible
68Camaro

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:42 pm

There is an overwhelming majority of folks here who buy and hold physical. I get that. I'm in the same boat. All that needs to be posted for some is "buy whatever you can whenever you can at any price you can" because that is what they want to hear. However, it is fascinating to notice how many of them watch the daily fluctuation more than most watch their 401(k).
Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Friday.
Cheers.
JFF
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:48 pm

Man, that is so true. I get a real kick out of the 'market' discussion here.

Especially when so many of us distrust the market. But the market still drives the buying decisions.

A wise man told me " buy things when people want to sell, Sell things when people want to buy."

I love the feel of a bag full of silver. The cheaper the better.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Regardless of one's world-view, or how one feels about methods or philosophy of trading ups or downs, watching the global markets in concert with the world news for me has become a bit of a sick obsession, on which I have to enforce some control over myself or else I will overdo it. I liken it to watching a slow-motion train-wreck. It is horrifyingly fascinating.
68Camaro

Postby Jonflyfish » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:52 am

Mind your risk.

Cheers,
JFF
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:11 am

68Camaro wrote:Regardless of one's world-view, or how one feels about methods or philosophy of trading ups or downs, watching the global markets in concert with the world news for me has become a bit of a sick obsession, on which I have to enforce some control over myself or else I will overdo it. I liken it to watching a slow-motion train-wreck. It is horrifyingly fascinating.

Agreed. It's an ultra slow motion train wreck. Additionally, the sleeping masses are just hanging out on the train tracks completely unwilling to accept the fact that the train is actually coming at them.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:03 am

Jonflyfish wrote:Mind your risk.

Cheers,
JFF

+1

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby morris14ccm » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:29 am

JFF-do you think it would be wise to buy today or wait for tomorrow?
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:26 am

morris14ccm wrote:JFF-do you think it would be wise to buy today or wait for tomorrow?

Do you mean buying puts as a hedge?
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:Mind your risk.

Cheers,
JFF

+1

Cheers!

++1
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:51 pm

The perils are great for the PM market. Warning flag is at full mast.
Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SteelCityCopper » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:The perils are great for the PM market. Warning flag is at full mast.
Cheers!

Good. Time to fatten up the personal stash for winter as long as the metal is available. That's the only thing that worries me about these drops.
Jason
- JPM doesn't determine our prices, the market does -
Steel City Copper
http://www.steelcitycopper.com
SteelCityCopper
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:28 am

Jonflyfish wrote:The perils are great for the PM market. Warning flag is at full mast.
Cheers!

Does that mean a big drop in price? Or, a big price increase? What is happening to cause the shift? Could you explain just a little more for us lowly mortals? :)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:31 am

I believe that he is saying that he is expecting a drop. I'll let him clarify though. Great, I hope it does, I have some money to burn on PM's now that I sold all of my 25th sets :)
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fb101 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:45 pm

I wonder if we're talking about the end of the PM bull or just a correction?
fb101

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:45 pm

Disciplined hedge effectiveness.

Cheers
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals