Did ebay remove all AE Anniversary sets?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Did ebay remove all AE Anniversary sets?

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:15 pm

I decided to try a presale with a couple of my sets and they were both taken off a few minutes ago. I thought maybe it was just me, but when I looked on ebay for other listings, there were only 5 (down from almost 400 earlier today). Did anyone else get them taken down? The email said you couldn't list until you had actual physical possession. Which is fine with me, as long as everybody else is having to play by the same rules.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Did ebay remove all AE Anniversary sets?

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Yeah I had a couple sets that were to be sold right about now on the bay but they all got taken down. I see a couple left on there which makes me want to relist.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:33 pm

I'm a little annoyed because I've been watching people sell for a week now, and when I put mine up they shut it down. The only few I saw looked like they had just been put up.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:38 pm

Yea I see some that were listed just a few minutes ago are gone but others are now up. E-bay will need to hire someone full time just to continually remove sets as they are listed. I wonder if they will keep it up?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:49 pm

Well I put up one set for buy it now. Maybe someone will buy it before e-bay takes it down.
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Henchman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Randomness is my guess. As soon as a crony detects the "illegal" listing they take it down. eBay has a whole division to take down items that don't fall into their policies. I used to sell World of Warcraft virtual items on eBay regularly until they shut that down. I still got away with it for awhile, as I would just put a buy it now price and it would last for a few hours before taken down or sell.

You best bet if you want to continue to keep trying is the Buy it Now option.

Cheers,
Henchman
Henchman
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Corsair » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:11 pm

I had an open offer on mine, but it was canceled. When these things flood the marketplace around mid-November, it's going to be chaos. List them fast, because once you get a thousand listings going, prices are going to drop like a rock.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:17 pm

Well I'm kind of glad to see they are doing something. I mean one person listed 4 sets of 70 graded for 5+ grand... Come on .. 4 sets.... But I agree.. Some people should be able to list... It was bound to happen.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:25 pm

Henchman wrote:Randomness is my guess. As soon as a crony detects the "illegal" listing they take it down. eBay has a whole division to take down items that don't fall into their policies. I used to sell World of Warcraft virtual items on eBay regularly until they shut that down. I still got away with it for awhile, as I would just put a buy it now price and it would last for a few hours before taken down or sell.

You best bet if you want to continue to keep trying is the Buy it Now option.

Cheers,
Henchman

Great, I have a hard time reporting illegal auctions here and there, and they have a whole unit devoted to yanking [shucks]?

[fluff] eBay.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver Addict » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:41 am

I had my listing removed. Looks like people are starting to list again. It is gonna take a whole team of ebay employees constantly watching, to keep people from listing. Glad I sold a large part of mine on Wednesday. This might give me the incentive i needed to just sit on my others for a while.
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:48 am

I would think late at night would be the best time to list.. when all those ebay employees are sleeping.. with dreams of higher fees dancing in their heads. Buy it now set up so it can get sold before the take it down.

I wonder if the guys that had those high priced auctions go through can do official second chance offers to all the underbidders that bid them up. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:55 am

Pulled a Rodebaugh, buy it now $725, that works for me. Good old artificial scarcity. :mrgreen:
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver Addict » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:17 am

blackrabbit wrote:Pulled a Rodebaugh, buy it now $725, that works for me. Good old artificial scarcity. :mrgreen:

I'm gonna try one right now :lol:
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:21 am

I think I'll try to put one up as a buy it now tonight. I don't have a lot of experience with ebay - they won't do anything after an item is sold, will they? (like a forced refund and canceled sale, freeze your paypal account, etc.) I want to sell a couple sets, but don't want to be stupid about it.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:40 am

Once it is sold you should be all set. They are happy to take your money. I think you would be safe. I listed an auction and it got pulled. I relisted and it sold. Then I listed another one and that got pulled. But the one that sold I have not had an issue with. Even if they cancelled a completed auction, it should not really effect you anyway. I don't think that eBay wants to deal with the fury of a happy buyer and a happy seller by cancelling a done deal. Maybe if it was something illegal or in clear violation of policy. These sets are not in clear violation of policy, eBay just feels like squashing a lot of these cause I guess they have nothing better to do at the moment.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:18 pm

Well the e-bay folks are scrubbing again and took down my listing.
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:27 pm

blackrabbit wrote:Well the e-bay folks are scrubbing again and took down my listing.

Is this the second time your listing has been removed? Did they lay down the law, or just send you another email?
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:12 pm

I havent been checking the prices but if they are cutting all the listing, simple economics would think you guys could pull in higher prices....
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:00 pm

My listings got cut as well........heres the e-mail from feeBay:

Dear wvcoin,

The following listing(s) has been removed and all associated fees have been credited to your account:

250924561747 - Confirmed 2011 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set 5 Coins

Because the 2011 25TH SILVER EAGLE ANNIVERSARY SET is in such high demand, requirements have been put in place for 2011 25TH SILVER EAGLE ANNIVERSARY SET sales. It has been reported that the MINT sold out of these within 5 hours. We understand that some sellers on eBay could have potentially placed their order in time, however we request that these coins are not listed unless they are in the physical possession of the seller. The strict requirement of not listing the item until you have it in your possession also applies to sellers with confirmed orders. Please wait until the Anniversary set is in your physical possession before listing it for sale.
We also suggest the following:

- The listing needs to include a unique photo of the item or items, and your User ID needs to be clearly shown in the picture (watermarks will not be accepted).

- To ensure buyer protection, PayPal needs to be the only accepted form of payment.

We understand that you may not have known about these requirements. However, please note that future violations may result in a range of actions, including listing cancellation, limits on account privileges, account suspension, forfeiture of eBay fees on canceled listings, and loss of PowerSeller status.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust & Safety team
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Copper Member » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:12 pm

I originall listed my as individual sets and had them taken down. Relisted them for all 5 sets and sold very quickly.
check me out on facebook Lake's Coin's and Militaria
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:27 pm

I have listed 4 auctions so far. One sold and 3 have been shut down. I get the exact same message each time they shut it down. Each message threatens further action if I re list, but so far they have not done anything. Frankly, right now I don't care if I am sanctioned. I am pissed off at eBay and ready to just stop using them anyway so if I'll just keep trying until I get cut off. Hopefully eBay cutting these off will result in inflated prices for the short term and maybe I'll sell a couple at a premium. I only want to unload about 4-5 of 20 right now and hold the rest to see how this all develops.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:41 pm

No law was laid down, just a the standard computer generated message. I may put it back up. I am unsure how to proceed at this time.
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:32 pm

Just had my second listing removed, put another one back up right away. There are only two or three listings on eBay right now. This is fun.
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:02 pm

I'll go the fun route and put another up, you never know!
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:07 pm

blackrabbit wrote:I'll go the fun route and put another up, you never know!

It's so exciting to watch your "Viewed Listings" number go up so fast. But be careful. There are a lot of a-holes out tonight trying to pull a fast one. I just had an offer for $305/set for five sets. And then I had another offer for $2200. I think he was hoping I glanced at it fast and saw $3200. Keep your eyes peeled.
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals