What would you do?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: What would you do?

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:37 am

I have never bought or shipped pennies through the mail. I have, however, purchased 90% coins on feeBay and had them mailed to me. I always insisted the seller insure the packages and was willing to pay for the insurance.

The last time I did this the mailman came up to me and said: "This feels like coins. Here are your silver coins." He had a big grin on his face. "What?! Why no, these are radio parts!" Radio parts? What a dumb-ass comeback. It was all I could think of on the spur of the moment. That did it for me. I knew there would be no secrecy in mailing coins from there on out. There was absolutely no marks of any kind to tip anyone off the package had coins in it and it didn't rattle either. I guess the "insured" part on the package was enough to tip him off.

I buy locale only now and remain as much under the radar as possible.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:36 am

Appreciate everyone's advice. Taking note. Buyer recontacted me, is not blaming me nor asking for compensation, will attempt to find package at receiving center. Buyer stated he had no idea that there was no insurance, he thought once tracking was included insurance was automatic. States he wants last ten boxes, new terms agreeable, willing to pay for added insurance if it isn't exorbitant. Anyone know what it would cost to send a CTU registered insured?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXBullion » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:49 am

beauanderos wrote:Appreciate everyone's advice. Taking note. Buyer recontacted me, is not blaming me nor asking for compensation, will attempt to find package at receiving center. Buyer stated he had no idea that there was no insurance, he thought once tracking was included insurance was automatic. States he wants last ten boxes, new terms agreeable, willing to pay for added insurance if it isn't exorbitant. Anyone know what it would cost to send a CTU registered insured?

Just remember that you will have to do the brown tape..........
TXBullion

Postby JobIII » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:53 am

Beau are you from CA?

Too bad you're not located on the east coast. It seems there are still a lot of banks over here that will help a RCer out...

best of luck.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:55 am

beauanderos wrote:Appreciate everyone's advice. Taking note. Buyer recontacted me, is not blaming me nor asking for compensation, will attempt to find package at receiving center. Buyer stated he had no idea that there was no insurance, he thought once tracking was included insurance was automatic. States he wants last ten boxes, new terms agreeable, willing to pay for added insurance if it isn't exorbitant. Anyone know what it would cost to send a CTU registered insured?

$24.20
natsb88

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:31 am

If the post office tracking shows that it was delivered to the sorting facility than it is out of your hands and ultimately the loss of the buyer. Of course the buyer most likely will not see it this way so to keep someone from being pissed off about this you might want to make amends. You said you are getting out though so I am not sure how much it matters to you.

I have had 5 $100 CTU lots stolen and lost from the post office. Tracking doesn't even show up on them because the post office refuses to scan them when they pick them up from my place! I had to replace the boxes because there was not any tracking information.

I had 5 $3,000 dollar boxes also stolen. Tracking showed all the way to Kansas city and than they dissapeared. Turns out the coin dealer I was shipping to had his postal worker go on a spree! I believe the guy is now in prison....

I believe I hold the record for longest time it took for a package to arrive. I shipped a box from Oregon down to HCBBT in Cali. Package took....47 DAYS! to arrive. I sent him a replacement package 2 weeks into it and it showed up the next day. Original package showed up 47 days later!!!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby amalekidad » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:56 pm

Y’all are making me paranoid.
I bought 2 CTUs from a nameless RealCenter (initials are HCBTT). They both showed up and I haven’t even opened the boxes.

An interesting note to this is that the seller sent them a couple of days apart to help the USPS from wigging out. With the first one I got a package not delivered slip AND postage due. When I went to the post office they said, “Oh you have another one with postage – it must have fallen off the first one.” In the end they did not charge me the postage. It seemed obvious that the boxes had been thrown around and abused. I’m amazed that they did not split open. Lucky for me the seller knew what he was doing. He covered the entire box with clear packing tape.

The postal workers (oxymoron?) quizzed me on the heavy boxes. I told them they were copper pennies. Should I have said, scrap copper, copper discs, or nun-ya? :?:
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:59 pm

amalekidad wrote:The postal workers (oxymoron?) quizzed me on the heavy boxes. I told them they were copper pennies. Should I have said, scrap copper, copper discs, or nun-ya? :?:

Lead sex toys from China?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby beauanderos » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Thogey wrote:
amalekidad wrote:The postal workers (oxymoron?) quizzed me on the heavy boxes. I told them they were copper pennies. Should I have said, scrap copper, copper discs, or nun-ya? :?:

Lead sex toys from China?

sex toys, yes, but high dolla... tungsten covered gold :mrgreen: So, Thogey, you gettin revenge on your thread being derailed? :lol:
beauanderos

Postby adagirl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:07 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I go back far enough in penny shipping to remember when UPS was basically the only game in town. Back then there was no such thing as flat rate shipping. :mrgreen:

Oh I remember them days Hoard. I have not had any problems thus far with coin shipments, but being a ex UPS shipper, I would defer to UPS. You get what you pay for. The flat rate is nice, until you add the insurance and tracking fees, and then you can't really track the package. I would leave the shipping option to the customer, provide both rates, and inform them of the pros and cons of each delivery service.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:15 pm

I got one word for ya.. Realcent Regional Distribution Centers!
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:22 pm

adagirl wrote:
HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I go back far enough in penny shipping to remember when UPS was basically the only game in town. Back then there was no such thing as flat rate shipping. :mrgreen:

Oh I remember them days Hoard. I have not had any problems thus far with coin shipments, but being a ex UPS shipper, I would defer to UPS. You get what you pay for. The flat rate is nice, until you add the insurance and tracking fees, and then you can't really track the package. I would leave the shipping option to the customer, provide both rates, and inform them of the pros and cons of each delivery service.

There are no "tracking fees" for USPS packages if you print the label online (Delivery Confirmation is free), and regular USPS insurance will not cover "cash" or "bullion" anyway, so not much point in paying for that either. From what I have been able to find, UPS insurance will not cover "cash" or "bullion" either. So with UPS, you get better tracking, but slower delivery and a minimum of 60% higher cost. USPS also includes Saturday delivery (for now) and delivery to PO boxes, and the same rates for residential and business addresses. I receive UPS and USPS packages on a daily basis. Most UPS packages (with the exception of those traveling less than about 75 miles) look like they have been run over by a truck or two. Beat-up packages are the exception with USPS instead of the rule. Despite the occasional lost package, there really isn't any other service that can compete with Priority Flat Rate in this application.

I made a long post on another forum about the importance of making your packages mail-stream friendly. I'll see if I can did that up instead of rewriting it...
natsb88

Postby natsb88 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:01 pm

Here's the post I was referring to:

There is something to be said for consistent, secure, inconspicuous packaging with proper postage and markings that plays well with automated processing equipment. Not only does it move faster through the mail stream, but it gets handled by people less, which means fewer chances for close analysis by curious sticky fingers.

The address should be machine-readable (preferably typed/printed instead of hand-written, in a dark contrasting color, and on a flat surface). Don't use shiny tape over the barcode, which can cause problems with the automated scanners. The outside of the package should be smooth, no extra tape flapping around, no duct tape, no string. All of the seams, edges, flaps, corners, etc. should be taped over, both to keep the package sealed, and so it doesn't get caught on conveyors and whatnot. Bubble envelopes should be fairly uniform in thickness, not overstuffed, and not some chunky object that can move around inside. Don't trust the adhesive, put a piece of tape over the flap. If it's a manila envelope with a metal hasp, put a piece of tape over the hasp so it doesn't get caught. For Flat Rate Envelopes, tape the flap and fold a piece of tape over every edge. Don't send rigid objects in regular 44 cent envelopes, they jam the machines and often pop through the envelope. At least put thin cardboard on both sides of the object, and pay the extra 20 cent non-machinable fee.

Most of the problems I have had with incoming shipments have been with things that were sent with the wrong service (i.e. Media Mail), had the address hand written in pen that got wet and smudged, were sent in a reused worn-out bubble envelope, packages that were not sufficiently taped and burst open, stuff wrapped in duct tape or masking tape (which catches on conveyors or starts to peel off), stamped packages with insufficient postage, etc. Occasionally a "perfect" package will still run into trouble, but it happens FAR less when things are properly packaged and mail-stream friendly.
natsb88

Postby beauanderos » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:39 pm

Nate, thanks for posting that. It should be a sticky. ;)
beauanderos

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:31 am

highroller4321 wrote:I believe I hold the record for longest time it took for a package to arrive. I shipped a box from Oregon down to HCBBT in Cali. Package took....47 DAYS! to arrive. I sent him a replacement package 2 weeks into it and it showed up the next day. Original package showed up 47 days later!!!

We weren't worried.. it was only a couple of boxes of quarters.

Nope, not the record by a long shot. I sent a CTU to PennyBoy in southern CA in Feb and it went into deep storage in Atlanta for six months before being returned to me and then reshipped to him again. It finally got there in mid-August. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby JobIII » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:56 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:I believe I hold the record for longest time it took for a package to arrive. I shipped a box from Oregon down to HCBBT in Cali. Package took....47 DAYS! to arrive. I sent him a replacement package 2 weeks into it and it showed up the next day. Original package showed up 47 days later!!!

We weren't worried.. it was only a couple of boxes of quarters.

Nope, not the record by a long shot. I sent a CTU to PennyBoy in southern CA in Feb and it went into deep storage in Atlanta for six months before being returned to me and then reshipped to him again. It finally got there in mid-August. :mrgreen:

Wait this doesn't count. The package was returned to sender. I call foul...

Had the package gone from storage to PennyBoy you would have the record :lol:
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:43 am

I would do the same thing Ray. You are not doing this to lose money. I got burned on 1 lot I sold, sold a lot to a newer member from Florida he said the money was in the mail, so I mail the pennies and never received the money. My own fault for trusting, he had @ 50 posts so I thought he was allright

PO worker always asks what's in the package, I tell machine parts. Good luck
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:28 am

Ray are you out of copper for good or just selling a portion off? :)
TXBullion

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:20 am

in business transactions, this is called risk of loss.

you can agree that one party or the other will bear the risk of loss.

when i buy i specify i'm paying for X 'shipped to me.' which means if it doesnt' get to me i dont' owe you.

if the buyer declines insurance then they need to accept their loss unless the loss was caused by inadequate packaging by the sender. I have had a member here ship me pennies inadqueately packaged. he's still never made me whole but he did ask me to help him file a claim with the usps even though the fault was his. its was about $30 of copper but i learend a lot.

if you are shipping more valuable stuff there is no good answer. supposedly usps insurance doesn't cover bullion, so why pay for it? if your loss is called by postal theft, there is not a lot you can do. the major dealers have blanket insurance policies with Lloyds which is the way to go but not cost effective for you or me.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rickygee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:18 pm

Maybe a little off topic, but not THAT far. Bought a couple of books from Amazon. Mailfemale ( :? ) left the box ouside the Apt door. Needless to say the box grew legs and ran off. On line tracking was the only way I knew the package had been delivered. Post Office response paraphrased: "Sorry 'bout your luck. See if Amazon will make it good." Have ordered various types/amounts of metal sent USPS, but never left if I was not home, just got a pick up notice, which was fine. No mo USPS for me. BTW, Amazon did make it good, even sent it next day UPS. It was the SOL attitude of the postal service that really turned my crank.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:59 pm

TXBullion wrote:Ray are you out of copper for good or just selling a portion off? :)

I'm done with copper, Jack. The logistics don't work for me anymore. Sold one Ryedale, still have three left.

Ending of story. Buyer sent wife to post office. Wife screamed. Box produced. Buyer declining any other form of insurance now, willing to play the odds that boxes make it thru, and is releasing me from any liability. Two more shipments of five boxes each and I'm done. Needed a new hobby anyway, and BullionStacker.com is pretty much filling that niche.
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:28 am

Wow - the box was there, but they wouldn't deliver until she screamed at them? What's the back story on this?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:31 am

i get all my mail at a mailboxes etc (now ups). there is a cost, but presumably you have more privacy and marginally more security.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby PeacePeople » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:48 am

68Camaro wrote:Wow - the box was there, but they wouldn't deliver until she screamed at them? What's the back story on this?

This. They had the box and couldn't find it until somebody went ballistic in their branch? How does this make sense?
PeacePeople
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PeacePeople » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:51 am

Out of curiousity, how do you package the pennies inside the box? Just loose? Inside plastic bags? What about those tyvek bags they give away, seems like they're impossible to break unless cut?

I get what Ray is saying, when the margin is 10% and the loss is 5% and supply is drying up or difficult, why bother?
PeacePeople
Penny Pincher Member

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing