Look at the Surprise in my Penny Box.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Look at the Surprise in my Penny Box.

Postby moneydog » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:08 am

Thogey wrote:I found a couple dimes in this recent box. :D

This is the second silver dime I've found in a penny roll :D

nice penny :lol:
moneydog
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Look at the Suprise in my Penny Box.

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:41 am

henrysmedford wrote:
Corsair wrote:
henrysmedford wrote:What is the meaning of life ?

I got this one! The meaning of life, the universe, and everything, is 42.

And that is the age at which you will get married and have a family.

Great find on the dimes. Everyone finds those "darned dimes" in their penny rolls.. but finding silver ones puts you in a very exclusive club.. now to move up one level to an even more exclusive club you have to find a mercury dime in your penny rolls. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby henrysmedford » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:19 am

I did not know this but you have to love Goggle from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy
Phrases from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a comic science fiction series created by Douglas Adams that has become popular among fans of the genre(s) as well as members of the scientific community. Certain phrases from it are widely recognised and often used in reference to, but outside the context of, the source material. Many writers on popular science, such as Fred Alan Wolf, Paul Davies, Richard Dawkins and Michio Kaku, have used quotations from Adams' work in their books to illustrate facts about cosmology or philosophy.
The number 42

Douglas Adams was asked many times why he chose the number 42. Many theories were proposed,[6] but he rejected them all. On November 3, 1993, he gave an answer[7] on alt.fan.douglas-adams:
“ The answer to this is very simple. It was a joke. It had to be a number, an ordinary, smallish number, and I chose that one. Binary representations, base thirteen, Tibetan monks are all complete nonsense. I sat at my desk, stared into the garden and thought '42 will do' I typed it out. End of story. ”

Adams described his choice as 'a completely ordinary number, a number not just divisible by two but also six and seven. In fact it's the sort of number that you could without any fear introduce to your parents'.[3]

While 42 was a number with no hidden meaning, Adams explained in more detail in an interview with Iain Johnstone of BBC Radio 4 (recorded in 1998 though never broadcast)[8] to celebrate the first radio broadcast's 20th anniversary. Having decided it should be a number, he tried to think what an "ordinary number" should be. He ruled out non-integers, then he remembered having worked as a "prop-borrower" for John Cleese on his Video Arts training videos. Cleese needed a funny number for the punchline to a sketch involving a bank teller (himself) and a customer (Tim Brooke-Taylor). Adams believed that the number that Cleese came up with was 42 and he decided to use it.[9]
Contents
[hide]

henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:49 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Great find on the dimes. Everyone finds those "darned dimes" in their penny rolls.. but finding silver ones puts you in a very exclusive club.. now to move up one level to an even more exclusive club you have to find a mercury dime in your penny rolls. :mrgreen:

Yeah, finding a silver dime in the penny rolls is special. Thogey was fortunate! It's the only one I have ever found this way. And the fact it was a 1933 Mercury dime made all the difference. It was the last one I needed to finish my Merc collection. Very rare.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:58 am

Nice find buddy. I've found many silver dimes in my bags (Merc's included), several in CWR's, but I think I've only found two silvers in boxes. Rare indeed. Keep up the searches and good luck on your "meeting"....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Greatwun » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Thats some luck. Ive been through at least 30 boxes of pennies and never even gotten a clad dime.
Greatwun
Penny Sorter Member

Postby tractorman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:39 pm

Searching cents the other day, I found dimes in consecutive rolls. Both of them were dark like nicely tarnished silver. One was a 1999 and the other a 2010. :roll:
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals