When we disclose our successes, does it hurt us?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

When we disclose our successes, does it hurt us?

Postby dan53 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:08 am

Have you ever wondered if by disclosing a major silver score that it may prompt others to increase their efforts and consequently create more competition?
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Re: When we disclose our successes, does it hurt us?

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:50 am

Yeah to a small degree I think you're right. I know that I'm personally motivated when I look at the tracking threads.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mr18 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:02 am

if you create more competition for yourself, that is a good thing. You will just think of different ways of scoring silver. Besides, when you post your findings you have to think about the area you are in, the time you scored and how much. Remember, a score to you maybe average to another member on here. Competition is always good, it pushes you to achieve quicker results by thinking outside the box. Take work for example, my way of thinking now is "If I complain too much now I wont have a job later to complain about". So I find different ways to get things done faster so I wont be on my employers radar when things get slow, its all about competition.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PeacePeople » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:29 am

This goes back to one very simple adage, It's only a secret if you're the only one that knows.
PeacePeople
Penny Pincher Member

Postby oober » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:57 pm

I agree 100%, this is why I haven't posted finds in more the 18 mo. Will never again. I don't want more competition.
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:35 pm

dan53 wrote:Have you ever wondered if by disclosing a major silver score that it may prompt others to increase their efforts and consequently create more competition?

Nope.
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Actually based on what some have said I think the more who sort atleast for awhile might help you all find more. Because if some are right that these coin distributors have large amounts of coins sitting there for a LONG time and generally send out new pallets as they fill then the more who sort will dig deeper into those reserves right???
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:45 pm

Not everyone has $500 bucks to buy a box of halves........let alone 5-10 times that like some folks do here. Also, it takes work to do this as well. That will knock out 80% of folks right there even if they do find something.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby BamaJoe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:16 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Not everyone has $500 bucks to buy a box of halves........let alone 5-10 times that like some folks do here. Also, it takes work to do this as well. That will knock out 80% of folks right there even if they do find something.

Doc has it right on both counts. The vast majority of people couldn't come up with $500 to tie up in halves, much less a larger amount to really go thru a stack of boxes a week.

Also, even though I enjoy it, it is work. Picking up 10 boxes or more a week, sorting and then dumping take time and effort. The average person wants it someone to hand it to him, not actually work for it. Even if they do try it, the first good skunk streak will put an end to it because of their lack of persistence.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Bundled with the economic times we are in and the price of silver I have no doubt it makes a difference. I am a member over on tnet and their CRH forum has been swamped with new searchers dreaming of the finds that were posted there just less than a year ago. Maybe they dont have $500 for a box but they have enough to go to every bank in their area and snap up the halves and dimes. My handrolled bank finds are so bad I just quit asking for coins. Used to find silver in about 1 out of 10 I visited. Those days are no more.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby franklin » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:47 pm

Probably a different answer to an unasked question but... the folks on this forum tolerate things that aren't allowed on a couple of other forums to which I belong. Buying something like the latest mint series and then turning around and then significantly increasing the price on the Buy It Now section (didn't keep up with the numbers) wouldn't be tolerated on other non-PM sites. Trying to sell it before actually taking delivery would get you banned for life. This is an interesting place.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:35 pm

I am not selling any of my mint set on here, but I don't have a problem with others doing so. What is wrong with making a profit as long as the seller is happy with the price? And selling them before taking possession is not a problem either as long as the buyer and seller trust each other. The fact that these kind of things are allowed proves how excellent this marketplace is. I bet there are a few people that locked in some pre-sales here for a price much lower than the current market price so that is a plus for the buyer. The seller should still be happy because they made a profit. The seller may be kicking themselves at this moment, but I bet they all still follow through and honor their deals because that is what RealCenters do. So these intolerant websites that you mention sound like crappy places to me. Realcent is a free and open marketplace - laissez-faire - no draconian regulation. There are logical, clear rules that are fairly and equally enforced. Our government could learn a few things from us!!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals