Pocket Watch Question

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Pocket Watch Question

Postby avidbrandy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:05 pm

I ran across a pocket watch the other day that a lady was selling. It's from 1776, and it still runs. It's silver, though I don't know what percent.

I'm trying to figure out how to get a quote on the value. I can't find another one of it online and I haven't the faintest clue how to gauge it's worth. If anyone knows anything I'd appreciate it.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Pocket Watch Question

Postby Trey » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:09 pm

I don't have a whole lot of experience with these kinds of things. However, since it's from 1776, it's likely that the value of the watch will come more from collector/antique value than from silver content.

Do a little research and try to get an approximate value that similar items are going for & if you agree on a fair price then great. Otherwise, just forget it and move on.
Trey

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Does it have a maker name? Watches from the 18th century are very rare...It wasn't til the 1800s that they became more common and standardized. I'd be skeptical of someone dating it unless you can get more info.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:49 pm

avidbrandy wrote:I ran across a pocket watch the other day that a lady was selling. It's from 1776, and it still runs. It's silver, though I don't know what percent.

I'm trying to figure out how to get a quote on the value. I can't find another one of it online and I haven't the faintest clue how to gauge it's worth. If anyone knows anything I'd appreciate it.

David, I'm not questioning your judgment, but I think that watch is probably more recent perhaps late 1800's, but dated 1776 to commemorate the events of that great year. For example:
http://www.bogoff.com/sold/pocket-watches/5518.html

Also wondering if there is any way that you can confirm if the watch has had its inner workings replaced since it was manufactured.

Mrs. shinnosuke is an artist where the buyers of any piece of expensive art are concerned about provenance. Does the lady who is selling the watch have anything besides an oral account of where the watch came from? If she is the least bit offended by you asking detailed questions, perhaps you should just move on down the road. This is just my skeptical self speaking. You may have, in fact, run across the best deal of the century.

By the way, you know that famous painting of the signers of the Declaration of Independence? None of those august gentlemen assembled in Philadelphia are shown with a watch in the painting. I wonder if there is a reason for that.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tractorman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:00 pm

Hallmarks?

This is a fantastic English sterling silver pair-cased verge fusee in excellent running condition! The hallmarks date it to 1776

http://barrygoldberg.net/watch12.htm
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Robarons » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:18 pm

I am pocket watch collector and the marks that Tractorman posted are correct for pocket watches of the time period.

Most pocket watches are from this time period are British cases and movements.

It should be a keywind and should be a Fusee Movement with a British or European Movement or works.

There should be NO seconds hand as well.

If its truly from 1776 than yes it worth a pretty penny- but Its likely no, they are extremely rare, worth ALOT more than its silver value.

Might also be 'Coin' 90% , .835, or 800 as well. May also not be silver at all but Nickel-Silver or equivalent
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Show us a Picture of it......I'd like to see it...... And I know dad would love to see it. :P
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby avidbrandy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:44 pm

I'll see if I can get a few pictures of it this weekend. I'm sure the lady won't mind.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals