Under spot deal

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Under spot deal

Postby agmoose » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:24 pm

I usually get about 2-3 deals a month where I win an auction under spot.

Just got 4 Walkers for $39.99 on the bay. They were listed as Standing Liberty Halves, which may have attributed to the auction having fewer bidders. Melt is over $46 - so even with $4 shipping its less than spot so.

Deals are way harder to come by these days. I may win 1 in 50 bids - cause I never bid over spot.....Three weeks ago I won 3 Washington Halves - (Franklins) at an ever better discount.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Under spot deal

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Nice score. I look for those types of mistakes too and find them occasionally. I agree- deals are harder to come by. I used to win maybe 1 out of every 5 or 6 things I bid on, but I'm probably down around 1 of 50, too. I'll just keep stacking where I can.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mr18 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:56 pm

I dont do ebay for silver but I agree on the deals, just harder to find. I should find better deals on CL this week since everyone wants money for black friday, that is when I wil score big. The truth is, more and more people know the value of silver simply by googling, its like buying a car, who buys from a car salesman? No one, we all go through the internet department for a better deal. To score deals you have to be patient. Whatever I buy is always at a discount, sometimes by a little, sometimes by a lot.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Sometimes you can even find fools who will list silver for under spot in buy it now weekend silver sales. Oh, wait.... duh.... that would be me :oops: :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:40 pm

beauanderos wrote:Sometimes you can even find fools who will list silver for under spot in buy it now weekend silver sales. Oh, wait.... duh.... that would be me :oops: :lol:

Someday, I will have enough FRNs to take you up on that.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby galenrog » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:49 pm

I may have some deals this week. Put a CL ad in where we will be visiting for turkey day. 3 takers so far. Meeting sellers on Wednesday.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:05 am

galenrog wrote:I may have some deals this week. Put a CL ad in where we will be visiting for turkey day. 3 takers so far. Meeting sellers on Wednesday.

That is a great idea. The area my wife is from would probably have some takers. I'll have to try that.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver Addict » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:20 am

Now that they just put a stop to the last 3rd party cashback program, the bidding may get thinner.

It was fun while it lasted GCR.
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby joemac » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:40 pm

I have been buying war nickels to what comes to about 1.65 shipped (mostly in the last two weeks I have stopped now). I bought a couple ounces of junk silver coins, but they are a rip off. They aren't selling 1oz of silver, they are selling 1oz of coins. Total BS, I messaged them and asked for a partial refund which the both gave. I also bought what I thought was a 40% ike which was not. He refunded me all but 1.98. So there are deals, but you have to be careful. If pays to know your coins, and ask EXACTLY what the auction includes.
joemac
Penny Sorter Member

Postby agmoose » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:01 pm

The 4 Walkers arrived today, all in pretty darn good condition with little wear. The seller even added a 1911 V nick to the package as a bonus. Its great when sellers do stuff like that. I'll carry the nick around and show it to my nieces/nephews tomorrow at Thanksgiving.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals