Silver Percentage of Coins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Percentage of Coins

Postby No82s » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:25 am

I ran into this the other night when assembling an Excel spreadsheet of my own for silver and gold compositions of coins. The calculators posted here and Coinflation both use the silver composition compared to face value of an uncirculated coin in their calculations (.7234 for 90% US). However the commonly used percentage for a 90% US circulated coin is .715 %. This may not be a lot but as the value of silver goes up this spread gets wider in favor of the seller if they used Coinflation. At $30 TOZ the difference in value of a $1000 junk silver bag is $252. I guess I always knew of the difference between the circ and uncirc coins but never realized the calculators were using the uncirc value.
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Re: Silver Percentage of Coins

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:40 am

Yep...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:44 am

No82s wrote:I ran into this the other night when assembling an Excel spreadsheet of my own for silver and gold compositions of coins. The calculators posted here and Coinflation both use the silver composition compared to face value of an uncirculated coin in their calculations (.7234 for 90% US). However the commonly used percentage for a 90% US circulated coin is .715 %. This may not be a lot but as the value of silver goes up this spread gets wider in favor of the seller if they used Coinflation. At $30 TOZ the difference in value of a $1000 junk silver bag is $252. I guess I always knew of the difference between the circ and uncirc coins but never realized the calculators were using the uncirc value.

The .715 is on the high side, unless you're talking about mostly recent coins. If you buy Barbers... you don't get what you paid for. Those bags can be 7 to 12% lighter than 715
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:56 am

From the substantial weighings I've done while sorting out coins into acceptable individual and roll weights, any circulated coin prior to about 1955 is suspect for being low weight (less than 715/723), and it is increasingly worse the smaller the coin. Most coins from 1955 and up will satisfy, especially if judging this by a roll weight (and thus averaging a bit).

My rough estimates of the percentage of coins as a function of date which satisfy the commonly accepted full-weight threshold:

61-64: 95%
55-60: 85%
50-54: 70%
45-49: 50%
40-44: 30%
35-39: 5%
prior to 35: <1%

Correspondingly, the lower the percentage, the higher the wear. Pre-30s coins can be easily as worn as what Ray says, or worse.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:53 pm

Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:48 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3503&hilit=+convention

Agree - the ultimate best solution is to buy by weight. If, however, you don't or can't for a given transaction, you should adjust your bid accordingly to the age of the coin.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:26 am

68Camaro wrote:
Lemon Thrower wrote:http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3503&hilit=+convention

Agree - the ultimate best solution is to buy by weight. If, however, you don't or can't for a given transaction, you should adjust your bid accordingly to the age of the coin.

Or just stick with Kennedy halves and rolls of 1964 quarters or dimes, easy enough to find on ebay.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby tractorman » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:15 pm

This gentlemen was nice enough to weigh some silver coins. Not only that, he was nice enough to list them in a terrible place with a terrible description. :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230701300619?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D230701300619%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals