Do UPS, FedEx USPS etc. offer insurance for coin sales?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Do UPS, FedEx USPS etc. offer insurance for coin sales?

Postby PolishPunisher » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Trying to ship my 2011 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Do UPS, FedEx USPS etc. offer insurance for coin sales?

Postby scrapper2010 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:19 pm

I shipped mine with FedEx insured. They didn't ask what it was, just a value, so I'm not sure whether or not coins are in the fine print of things they don't insure.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PolishPunisher » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:24 pm

I looked at the fine print for Fed Ex and it sets the limit at $1,000 for coins or buillion. USPS does not insure "buillion". I can't find the UPS exclusions page (if there are any)
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:45 pm

The only safe bet is USPS Registered Mail. Anything else will either flat-out not cover it, or will have low caps on the value, or will argue about the price when you file a claim, etc.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PolishPunisher » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Can you send a package registered mail?
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:52 pm

Absolutely. It cost me about $60 to send my case of 25th sets from PA to TX.
natsb88

Postby PolishPunisher » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:08 pm

You are a life saver, Nate. This is much cheaper than doing 2 day air with UPS.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:12 pm

natsb88 wrote:The only safe bet is USPS Registered Mail. Anything else will either flat-out not cover it, or will have low caps on the value, or will argue about the price when you file a claim, etc.

Registered Mail the same as Confirmation Signature? Or is it a different animal?

I haven't kept up with all the different terminalogies.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby daviscfad » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Signature and registered are different. Registered goes out in a different bag and everyone that touches it has to sign. Signature just makes it where the receiver has to sign. Registered cannot have clear plastic tape on the box, it has to be sealed with brown packing tape
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby DirtyFingers » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:47 pm

daviscfad wrote:Signature and registered are different. Registered goes out in a different bag and everyone that touches it has to sign. Signature just makes it where the receiver has to sign. Registered cannot have clear plastic tape on the box, it has to be sealed with brown packing tape

Ah, ok, thank you sir. I learned something new today.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:17 pm

Registered has to have every seam sealed with paper tape. No self-adhesive tape. If you don't have any, the PO will seal it up at the counter for you. They will stamp every edge of the paper tape with a dated postmark stamp. Registered mail stays locked in caged carts and individuals have to sign a log and are personally responsible for the package every step of the way. Registered only has one speed, so it's typically cheapest to pay Parcel Post rate + Registered fee. You can insure up to $25,000 this way...it's about the most secure way to ship something short of hiring an armored car :lol:
natsb88

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:49 pm

natsb88 wrote:You can insure up to $25,000 this way...it's about the most secure way to ship something short of hiring an armored car :lol:

So did you hear about that finest known gold eagle that disappeard out of an armored car? I think we are concerned after reading some of the horror stories about lost shipments.. especially those of us that have 2 5 set packages to ship. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby BOHICA » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:03 am

They shipped the Hope Diamond to the Smithsonian via USPS Registered Mail. I was a military postal clerk for a year overseas and we routinely used Registered Mail to send classified documents. The oversite on it is almost rediculous (but, I'm glad they do it).
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:53 am

Just shipped them in USPS medium priority boxes with sig confirm. Didn't think they would glean much attention just doing them like that. All arrived ok.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:05 am

if you ship to a dealer, sometimes they have a blanket insurance policy that covers you.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby daviscfad » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:40 am

natsb88 wrote:Registered has to have every seam sealed with paper tape. No self-adhesive tape. If you don't have any, the PO will seal it up at the counter for you. They will stamp every edge of the paper tape with a dated postmark stamp. Registered mail stays locked in caged carts and individuals have to sign a log and are personally responsible for the package every step of the way. Registered only has one speed, so it's typically cheapest to pay Parcel Post rate + Registered fee. You can insure up to $25,000 this way...it's about the most secure way to ship something short of hiring an armored car :lol:

This depends on the person at the counter. I had to file one of my only complaints with the PO one time when one clerk gave me tape and told me to tape the seams then i got put in another clerks line and she demanded i tape the whole box, and then wouldnt give me more tape. Told me i had to purchase my own. I told her he just gave me some. Well he is not supposed to. Thats the only time I have called and complained about something like this. I actually go to a different post office in another town b.c of this now.

And speaking of registered speeds. You can actually do priority or parcel. You can even use a flat rate box. I have done this several times. When i did the ASE sets they automatically jumped it up to priority b,c of weight. but you can send it at two different speeds but this is recently new but been around for at least a year. The guy in california that bought my set actually got his on the 3rd day and i know parcel wouldnt have made it that fast, as i am in NC
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JJM » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:21 am

I've found the post office more times than not will not provide the paper tape needed for registered mail anymore. Staples sells it however. The rolls are HUGE and will last most folks a lifetime.

A nice tip if you're selling internationally. You can provide the tracking needed by Paypal for seller protection by sending stuff 1st Class INTL via registered mail. The only down side is the maximum weight limit is 4 lbs. This adds $11.50 to the postage cost.
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby Silver Addict » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:34 am

ins't numismatic coins covered under regular USPS insurance? I thought only bullion and paper money weren't.
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby PolishPunisher » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:58 am

My concern would be that they declare my coins are buillion and want to fight about the amount of liability. If numismatic coins were covered and buillion wasn't wouldn't everyone just say the coins they sent were numismatic?
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:25 pm

Aren't all coins theoretically numismatic? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby natsb88 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:13 pm

Silver Addict wrote:ins't numismatic coins covered under regular USPS insurance? I thought only bullion and paper money weren't.

Theoretically yes, but I have heard horror stories when it comes to identifying and valuing the coins in a claim. It's probably one of those situations that depends on the individual handling your claim, but I have heard of them only paying the face value of the coins, or calling anything gold/silver/platinum/palladium "bullion" instead of numismatic, or using old grey sheets to assign a value, or denying the claim if you can't provide proof of what was in the box...

That's why I say the only "safe bet" is Registered Mail. Anything else is just a "bet" :lol:
natsb88

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals