25th anniversy sets

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

25th anniversy sets

Postby rsk1963 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:10 pm

So I dont think this has been covered in another post, but is there a way to "eyeball" an american eagle set to determine whether or not you have a graded 70 set? Anyone have an example website for trying to figure out such things?
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Re: 25th anniversy sets

Postby Nystagmus » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:43 pm

I was just about to post a similar thread. I have an open box of 5 sets and have been looking at all the s mint and reverse proofs with a jewelers loop. My dilemma is that there are little imperfections on EVERY coin. However, 2 of the reverse proofs I believe will grade at 70 since the imperfections are almost unnoticeable and very tiny even with the magnification (small scratch on one of the A's in America).

It may be taking a chance but I'm planning on sending these in to PCGS. There are a couple other coins that have one shiny spot on the matte background. I'm thinking of taking a chance and sending these others to NGC since they have a higher population of 70's. FWIW I can't see the imperfections without using a magnifier, or in some cases I have to hold the coin at just the right angle. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.
Nystagmus

Postby twoten01 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:31 pm

Well if you open the mint box, they will only grade the 2 unique coins in the set with the special 25th designation. The others would be graded and look just like the other millions that are out there. To get all 5 coins graded in the 25th anniversary set holders, you need to leave the shipping box from UPS sealed, and send it like that to either NGC, or PCGS, etc.
twoten01
Penny Pincher Member

Postby everything » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:12 am

To OP: Collectors approach these ASE sets differently. Some people don't care if they are graded or not. It costs like $20-$25, per coin to grade!, some think it's just plumb crazy. Nystagmus he only cares the most about the 2 unique coins for example as they will get the annie label no matter what if you decide to send in for grading later.

As twoten says, If you buy an open set it's possible it can be cherry picked already so you have to know what you are doing, and tell any buyer your interested in buying from, I need better photos. Especially of said two coins. That is how you find your near OGP 70 set without having to pay for a graded one. You can always buy the other three common coins separately..

As Nystagmus says, he's found all kinds of imperfections on his ASE's, if his coins grade well, and he sells at the right time, he could probably recoup most of the cost of the 5 sets with selling only three unique coins and yet still have 4 reverse proof ASE's left for himself!
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals