Does this make cents?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Does this make cents?

Postby 50centsaver » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:43 am

I still have a lot to learn, but from what I've read on this forum so far:

I'm not rich by any means. I am really concerned for my wife and my financial future, as I'm sure you are. Luckily we both have jobs, for now. We have put some $ away into our individual Roth IRAs- not a whole lot, but a good start. We are in our mid fifties. Right now our Roths are "safe" in CDs in a bank that has a good rating- rated by Robert Prechter of "Elliot Wave fame"? The CDs are very low interest, and with inflation the total value will actually be losing money per year, but I'd rather have them in CDs than investments that are more risky.

My question is this: from what I've read on this forum, instead of us continuing to put paper dollars in an overall losing CD account, with the possibility of the value of our fiat currency continuing to fall- I'm thinking it would make cents to put future money that we were going to otherwise continue to add to our CDs each year- to put that money into REAL money- purchase actual precious metals- buy gold, silver,- especially hoard copper pennies/all nickels right now, and buy Canadian nickels. And/or when our CDs come due this spring roll those paper dollar totals over into a Gold Roth IRA or Gold mutual fund that actually purchases the real thing. What do you think?

Thanks for your comments ahead of time.
50centsaver
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Does this make cents?

Postby fasteddy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:24 am

yeah that what this forum is about saving in metal....Yesterday I received a package of silver in the mail, nearly three hundred dollars worth, I handed the box to the receptionist, in her other hand i gave her $300 in US fiat and asked which she would rather have. She balanced the wad and the box like a balance scale....to my surprised she said the box 'cuz it was heavier. Normally she would roll her eyes at my purchases but maybe even she is starting to get it.

Be careful in putting all your eggs in one basket...diversification is key...when stocks go up metal goes down and vice versa...most here are betting on the collapse of US fiat...I dont know if that will ever happen...but it could and it just might so be prepared either way...cash reserves, stocks(paper) in play and metal stacking....cant go wrong there. For cash reserves stack nickels...thats two of the three. IMO.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:27 am

Stick around the forum for awhile. This place is an absolute wealth of knowledge and lots of good folks willing to share it with you. To add to fast....be prepared. In the words of one of my former bosses, "expect the unexpected". Twenty
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby inflationhawk » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:45 pm

I would buy the gld or another gold fund before using a custodian to hold physical gold in your IRA. IMO, the fees are greater than the risk of "paper gold" in an IRA. Outside of an IRA, I'd go physical metals all the way. Always take delivery and never use a custodian outside of an IRA.

I hold nickels and stack them, but haven't really gone wild with them. I think it will be 8 to 10 years at least before you could see a premium to face value. First they have to change the composition and then the available supply has to go down drastically. And finally, to maximize your return, there needs to be a lift of the melt ban. A premium could still be had without a lifting of the melt ban, but the premium won't reach the full value of the metal until then. If interest rates were to stay where they are now, it's a no brainer to hold nickels, but with the debt like it is, it's hard to see interest rates not moving up in the near to medium term.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverflake » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:20 pm

Or if you want a cd with protection and some exposure to precious metals, go to Everbanks website. They have a CD that earns a interest based on the moevment of precious metals. If they go down, you lose nothing (but you get no interest) but if PMs go up you get a WAY higher yield than a regular CD. So, no risk of pricipal loss (unless the banking system collapses) and PM potential all within a cd product. Check it out. they don't always have them available, just keep checking back. www.everbank.com
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:14 am

silverflake wrote:Or if you want a cd with protection and some exposure to precious metals, go to Everbanks website. They have a CD that earns a interest based on the moevment of precious metals. If they go down, you lose nothing (but you get no interest) but if PMs go up you get a WAY higher yield than a regular CD. So, no risk of pricipal loss (unless the banking system collapses) and PM potential all within a cd product. Check it out. they don't always have them available, just keep checking back. http://www.everbank.com

I don't see how this arrangement is possible without the dreaded "Counterparty Risk" that we are all becoming so used to seeing come in to play. Remember MF Global? Just stack it.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby adagirl » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:46 am

rock on! I have looked into Everbank and I had one nice conversation with President at Everbank. We discussed politics, fiat $, etc. I do believe Everbank is solid, however I have decided to just continue to stack.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals