Looking for $2.50 Indians...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Looking for $2.50 Indians...

Postby RxForPain » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:54 pm

I am looking for some $2.50 Indians, not a graded versions just circulated (as close to spot as possible). I like fractional gold and they seem to be hard to come by without being graded in some way or another. I have purchased from gainesville, but they don't have any listed and the ones on ebay are way over priced. I have only been able to find a couple at the local coin shops within reason. Am I chasing something that does not exist?
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Looking for $2.50 Indians...

Postby beauanderos » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:11 pm

RxForPain wrote:I am looking for some $2.50 Indians, not a graded versions just circulated (as close to spot as possible). I like fractional gold and they seem to be hard to come by without being graded in some way or another. I have purchased from gainesville, but they don't have any listed and the ones on ebay are way over priced. I have only been able to find a couple at the local coin shops within reason. Am I chasing something that does not exist?

The only way you are going to find ungraded ones is if you can find some quite worn ones that weren't worth sending in for third party grading. And those usually get sent in to the smelter. You might be able to find XF as the lowest grade available in coin shops, but you're always going to pay probably at least a five percent premium. Indians are far more popular, thus sought after, than Liberty series. Go browse the gold thread over at bullionstacker.com. There are frequently Indians for sale there, you might luck out. Zeeforce2000 runs constant gold sales there. From what I've seen, the premium on $2.50 Indians is prohibitively high, you might try $5... you'll get more for your money.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby DRP270 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Be careful with Pre-33 gold. So much offered to the inexperienced is cleaned and just worth spot. Look at the stars. If there is darker colorization around them then it is likely cleaned. Cleaning gets the surfaces and misses the edges around the stars. If you know nothing about these coins then stay away or buy graded. I have been fooled once or twice and I know these coins. In hand is not the same as a picture. Be careful.
DRP270
Penny Pincher Member

Postby daviscfad » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:23 pm

There are also a lot of fakes so buy from reputable people
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RxForPain » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:22 pm

I appreciate the advice from everyone. Any other ideas for fractional gold in the pre 1933 range other than Indians. I try an stay 1/2 oz or below.
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:01 am

RxForPain wrote:I appreciate the advice from everyone. Any other ideas for fractional gold in the pre 1933 range other than Indians. I try an stay 1/2 oz or below.

You would get more for your money with $5 Liberties. I have a few I'd be willing to part with, only because I want to pick up some half-sovereigns. PM me for details. I think you're wise to pick up the smaller denominations while they are out of favor. It will become impractical to hold larger pieces a year or two from now, after the price explosion. :shock: :mrgreen:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:46 pm

I ask today at the coin shop they have been there for the last 35 years and he pulled out of the save a box full of 2x2 of them starting at $240.
The shop is--
Rouge Valley Coin and Jewelry
http://www.rvcoinandjewelryexchange.com/
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals