Bear with me, still learning. Platinum in SHTF scenario?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bear with me, still learning. Platinum in SHTF scenario?

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:38 pm

Guys -

Platinum looks like as good a buy as silver to me, and I think silver is an awesome buy.

I think gold and silver have their place in a SHTF situation. And I know I'm not the only bozo on this forum who believes its possible, so wargame with me.

What is the value of Platinum, Palladium, Rhodium if the balloon goes up? What value does it have value after things level back out? Any value at all DURING those dark days?

Ideas?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Re: Bear with me, still learning. Platinum in SHTF scenario

Postby BamaJoe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:59 pm

During the "Dark Days" I just don't see it. Gold and Silver have been money for thousands of years and I can see coming back to use easy.

Platinum has never been used as money, that I know of anyway. I think it would have a hard time catching on.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:31 am

I think platinum has a place in a diversified metals portfolio but build your silver and gold positions first. And I agree that platinum would benefit from a "less-than TSHTF" scenario. Platinum serves as a store of value as does gold, without the encumbrances that burden silver.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby spjegues » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:04 am

My 2 cents- during a SHTF you do not want to have to explain the value of the metals you are trading. You want to trade and get out of there as quick as possible . Value yes but not during those dark days as you will be using it to trade for supplies etc that you need.
spjegues
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:46 pm

Wealth storage, perhaps. It would be of value after the dust and smoke settle and the blood washed down, but that's for later. How much later? Hmmm, my crystal ball is on the blink.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:11 pm

SHTF time...not really...

But for the long term i.e. five or more years in my humble opinion you can't go too wrong investing in Platinum. It is really cheap now if you think how rare the metal is compared to gold!

The following is a great website to learn all about the metal and the latest news:
http://www.platinum.matthey.com/index.html

Short term folks will continue to flock to Gold and as the price goes higher and higher people will look more at Silver, because that is all they will be able to afford!

Platinum unfortunately will never been seen a main stream investment metal because it is so tied to the industrial uses.

The two things that excite me the most about this metal are the following:

1) Platinum is rare - 30 times rarer than gold. It is found in very few places throughout the world, mostly in South Africa, although it is also found in Russia and Canada, which means that it often incurs higher transportation costs than gold.

2) The mining of platinum is a difficult, time-intensive process. Platinum is, therefore, more expensive to mine than other precious metals. Ten tons of ore must be mined and processed to yield one single ounce of finished platinum.

When you hold a one ounce bullion coin it still amazes me!
Copper Catcher

Postby frugi » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:42 pm

platinum is a good price right now compared to where it was a few years ago (like $3000 ozt.), and rhodum too, it was like 5k, or some crazy amount. In my opinion these "white" metals including platinum, rhodium, palladium, germanium, argentium, silver, and whatever else were extensively used in production of and continue to be used in the production of electronics. These white metals have always been used especially during the 1990's, and 2000's, so the price was really high per ounce....BUT, now there is something better, and cheaper, and adaptable....Rare earth metals are what is in everything NOW, every computer, ipad, ipod, whathave you. That is the reason for the steep decline in white metals recently, the exception being silver. Now that China has a monopoly on rare earth metals, and the rest of the world is 20 years behind China in this industry, and coupled with the constant advancement of technology in computers and electronics means one thing. Don't expect the white metals to rise anytime in the next 20 years, that is with the exception of silver, since it is still used in everything, unlike platinum. Rhodium is still used in industry probably more than any of the others, except silver, but rhodium is used in plating practically everything silver nowadays, and any other white metal sold with a asthetic purpose such as sterling flatware or jewelry. Until America becomes a manufacturing nation again or some new technology develops, I think all the white metals will slowly drift lower in comparison to silver and gold which will continue to rise, as the dollar continues to slump along with all world currencies. So, with that said, I would take any metal including lead, or even zinc, or perhaps aluminum, or even worse titanium over dollars from the US or any country for that matter. Have anything instead of cash is better. I would be in a world of sh*t if I bought the white metals when they were thousands of dollars and ozt. a few years back, only to watch them fall to the levels they are now is depressing. Any money I have extra I try to invest in silver. 100% gung ho with silver, I sell gold to buy silver, etc. Don't buy platinum as an investment, UNLESS you believe in your heart, that America will rise again to Superior status, keep it's hands to itself, and elect Ron Paul (Ron Paul fan!), and start the rebuilding of America, until all that happens, or if you believe it will happen than buy platinum with your heart, but I believe certain metals are more apt to rise when USA is super awesome, and has manufacturing jobs at home, and we are prosperous, and we are not losing are asses, and all screwed up in debt, until we start building goods at home these few metals will dwindle, especially during worldwide depression. The only exception is art of war, these metals also are included heavily in arms, bombs, explosives of all types, incendiary devices, weapons that are generally banned by ICC and WHO, and UN....but these weapons are still made using white metals, war time produces a chance to exploit resources and create jobs of building death machines, and weapons, yes great jobs, but at what expense. This is what is happening right now with the white metals, we are not shocking and aweing anyone right now, so manufacture of the really bad stuff is put on hold for awhile. Nickel should be included in both aspects as well since it would apply in all situations. Nickel would have value as barter or trade value as would copper, and all the smaller cheaper base metals. I don't subscribe to any of the "expensive" white metals at all. Don't take my word for it, I am a crazy. Buy with what your heart tells you. Myself I buy what I like and enjoy, that way I am always the winner. Peace. sorry for the long story few will read. :-)
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:53 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:Guys -

Platinum looks like as good a buy as silver to me, and I think silver is an awesome buy.

I think gold and silver have their place in a SHTF situation. And I know I'm not the only bozo on this forum who believes its possible, so wargame with me.

What is the value of Platinum, Palladium, Rhodium if the balloon goes up? What value does it have value after things level back out? Any value at all DURING those dark days?

Ideas?

OneBite...just me?....i dont know how to assay, therefore, in a grid down, if you showed me plat, i'd have to pass, coz what i KNOW, are pre64 American 90's, 40% Kennedys, 40% Ike's and ASES...plus American copper cents and nickels...thats it...and from there, we could figure the value of items, grains, wire, wood, etc.

the way i look at it is, silver's the base currency, along with copper and nickel. i've been urging family, friends, two things, get out of all paper investments, and get OUT of the cities. Get land, live simple. granted, to me, silver, copper, nickel are base line currencies, but throw non traditional viewpoints out, and start thinking of vital "commodities" as currency also. this list is something i dont really want to unpack on this forum, so i'll just you might do well to look at vice items, intoxicants, tobacco, as alternative currencies. Since security is always a concern, any items, related to this, have currency value, ie, the lowly 22 cal round will have great value...and one last item, the VALUE of communitas (community) cannot be overstated, ESPECIALLY if you're a city dweller moving to the sticks. Get to know your neighbors immediately, and if you're a stand up guy with integrity, a hail fellow well met, this too is invaluable, this quality will shine thru and you can begin building friendships brick by brick , the way they should be built organically. disregard those on the net who peddle the "lone wolf survivialist" mindset, armchair warriors who tragically will wind up as bleached bones on the forest floor, if indeed they make it that far. just my thoughts on the matter.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:55 pm

all that said by me, i totally agree with what Copper Catcher and Frugi wrote you. Both these men know a lot more than me about metals, thats why i got to keep my game real simple.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:54 pm

i like silver much better.

plat is tied to auto production and the depression is about to intensify.

plat is substitutable for pdm in many applications. a few years ago there was a shortage of plat due to strikes in S.Africa and a lot of folks retooled to substitute for pdm. they are not going to jump back to plat just because its momentarily cheaper.

dont like it in shtf scenario - have you ever tried to spend a $100 bill at a gas station? people look at you like you are from mars and/or rich.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Good stuff guys. This is why I like to ask questions. ;)
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:12 pm

BamaJoe wrote:Platinum has never been used as money, that I know of anyway.

Russia would like a word with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum_coin
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby .02FYI » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:50 pm

It has that feeling by LCS that they would be luck to get spot for it. Yet premium and buy back appears decent to me when I look at different online outlets. Also consider the ratio of silver to platimun is near 50 aprox. Which is at or near the low. Also the ration of platimum to gold , since platimum sell s for less is a scream yet not sure that it is necessary, shtf type issues prob off the table as well. But if you have your basis covered and it comes along don't run it away. IMHO
.02FYI
Penny Pincher Member

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:26 pm

First 6 months, Precious metals dont' mean [shucks], because people need ammo and food and shelter. If you already have these things, this is the time to accumulate them. After that sure.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:55 am

Once you're "sufficiently hedged" against TSHTF type scenarios (and each person needs to understand what sufficient means to them, not anyone else) I think that there is no harm in further diversification within a well-rounded precious metals portfolio. But for me, that doesn't mean plunging headlong into platinum... and I don't even have an ounce of palladium. I'm probably holding 80% silver, 18% gold, and 2% platinum. Not gonna get rich, not gonna go broke. I would suggest buying slabbed so there's no assay issues. Platinum will have it's day when silver becomes difficult to source. 8-)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby frugi » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:07 am

We had a member once from Cuba. (now banned, I think) currently living in Florida.

He said that in Cuba, if you had a nail you were considered a carpenter, and if you
had an aspirin you were a doctor...................

I imagine that is what a SHTF scenario is like, I will never forget that statement he made one day.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals