Neat antique sterling silver trophy find at auction

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Neat antique sterling silver trophy find at auction

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:39 am

Tonight I picked up a 1922 sterling silver trophy; it has little cornucopia like trumpet vases --- 1 large one out of the middle and 3 smaller ones; they can be taken out

Unfortunately one of the little trumpet vases is dented.

The silver halmark is the anchor lion and capital W

The trophy has a name inscribed and the says Semper Fidelis Lodge No 3299 as a token of esteem Saturday April 1st 1922

The vases are not weighted and weigh 115 grams
The base of the trophy has cement but the side walls are thicker than usualy silver weighted piece; I havent broken it apart to weigh it

I paid $74.75 with the all the fees included

Hard to decide whether to melt or not

Do you guys ever feel bad melting down a neat piece of history?
Last edited by Pennysaved on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Neat antique sterling silver trophy find at auction

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:18 am

you might get more for it as an antique/genealogy. probably awared by a VFW post to a marine.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:47 am

From what I have noticed.....this is how it plays out.

Melt it or spin your wheels. I have tried to move some very nice sterling pieces before at spot to "save" them......and they always end up in the pot after a month or so.

It's a shame I know.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:13 am

Pictures help :D
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:51 am

I can email pics to anyone who wants to see it; have to snap them with my cell phone camera
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:57 am

Pennysaved wrote:I can email pics to anyone who wants to see it; have to snap them with my cell phone camera

Just load them on photobucket.com and than put them up on here. If you email them to me I can do it for you.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby pennypicker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:57 pm

Pennysaved wrote:Do you guys ever feel bad melting down a neat piece of history?

People have been melting 90% silver U.S. coins including silver dollars for decades now and I consider them all to be collectible pieces of history as well....melt the sucker. 8-)
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby .02FYI » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:22 pm

I think there are several that will keep you from starting the fire and putting it in the pot and will send a check. Check to see what they are paying?
.02FYI
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:33 pm

pennypicker wrote:
Pennysaved wrote:Do you guys ever feel bad melting down a neat piece of history?

People have been melting 90% silver U.S. coins including silver dollars for decades now and I consider them all to be collectible pieces of history as well....melt the sucker. 8-)

Theirs a big difference between millions of discs of coin silver vs. one custom made trophy.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypicker » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:56 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
pennypicker wrote:

Theirs a big difference between millions of discs of coin silver vs. one custom made trophy.

We're talking about a diminutive trophy from some obscure lodge back in 1922. If the trophy was made of pewter it would have made its way to a landfill decades ago. The only reason it still has life is because of it's silver content. As the price of silver rises so will the temptation for the owner to melt this so called "piece of history". Eventually, when either the price of silver rises enough or the trophy ends up in the hands of a certain owner, it will be melted.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:11 pm

Interesting articles.....

Silver trophy awarded to Gertrude Ederle, the first woman to swim the English Channel, in 1926
http://www.smithsonianlegacies.si.edu/o ... .cfm?ID=99

Famous Trophies and Awards
http://www.mickeys.net/hi-famous-trophies.htm
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals