Libertad, real or fake

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Libertad, real or fake

Postby AGCoinHunter » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:12 pm

This question is for those who know their libertads. I purchased a 1992 libertad a few months back and just noticed that it has a reeded edge instead of the smooth edge with the writing struck on it. Is there such a thing or am I looking at a counterfit? It weights the same (31.1grams) as what I believe to be a real one. Does anyone know?
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Libertad, real or fake

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Should be the real thing. It does look odd to see the reeded edge in a stack of the ones with writing, but the weight (31.1g) confirms it.

I have some like this and the reeded edge certainly caught my eye, too.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks for your reply KCC. Anyone else have experience with these?
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Verbane » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:49 pm

Take a look at Krause

KM#494.1 - 1982 to 1989 - .999, 1 Toz ASW
KM#494.2 - 1988 to 1995 - .999, 1 Toz ASW, reeded edge (includes 494.3 - 494.4 - 494.5)
KM#613 - 1996 to 1999 - .925, 1 Toz ASW
KM#639 - 2000 to 2011 - .999, 1 Toz ASW, reeded edge, revised reverse(eagle circled by eagles)
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:22 pm

Great, thanks Verbane. Just wanted to confirm. Odd to make it smooth, then change to reeded, then back to smooth.
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals