opinions on this 'spooky' Ebay auction?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: opinions on this 'spooky' Ebay auction?

Postby rexmerdinus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:15 am

Anyone know when "shotgun" rolling machines first became widespread? That would be a start for determining the maximum possible age of any roll...
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:28 pm

Like I said earlier, this bank never existed...

Check this out...

http://forums.collectors.com/messagevie ... did=809651
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:09 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:
cesariojpn wrote:As Pawn Stars/Hardcore Pawn/Oddities/whatever show where things are sold proves (and to an extent, the Traveling Grifter Shows, Pawn Shops, and Fly-By-Night Precious Metal buyers), people are too eager and greedy to get a huge payday for little effort and work.

I think you have found the answer!! WE NEED SOMEONE TO TAKE ONE OF THESE ROLLS ON THE PAWN STARS SHOW!! :lol:

I can see it now, the "old man" drooling, the "experts" being called, the haggling, etc

I figure someone can do the same results for alot less than the bids on eBay right now. It'll take abit more work, but you can make a passable wrapper like the one in the auction

Research and settle on a real banks name to use. Settle around the 1930's. The more older and out of business (say, around 1950's closures) the better, cause there will be little to no people to refute the claim and it'll trip up the expert abit.

I figure silkscreen the (REAL) bank name on brown wrapping paper instead of using an inkjet printer since inkjet runs when wet. Maybe "age" the paper abit to lend some authenticity (quickest way I can figure is below).

Find a couple of "cheap" AU sliders for the ends, load up the middle coins with some Morgan culls or other coins similar to Morgans, glue the wrapper with the stack, and rub the wrap between your hands and feet to "age" the paper.

Invent some BS story about how this came from "My Uncles Sisters Cousins Mothers Bastard Son, twice removed" Bank executive estate (use real names to stump the expert abit). Make sure you get the story and attitude down pat.

Now, here is where it'll get tricky.

If they buy the dupe, underoffer like crazy. If the expert says $4,000, ask $2,000. At this point, your in the hole for a few hundred dollars, no sense in being too greedy. So long as you clear the expense by a few hundred, it's gravy.

If the expert declares it as a fake.......LET THE F-BOMBS ROLL!!!!! "Disown" your "deceased relatives" on camera. Say your gonna be chastised by your wife and your gonna be sleeping in the car out on the curb. Do whatever it takes to lay the blame away from you. You need to portray yourself as the victim, not the fraudster.

I assume no responsibility if you undertake this idea in anyway, shape or form.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi, I have these unique Old rolls of CC Morgans that I would like you to sell for me.. Oh, I see you sell .99 cent items on Ebay.. Perfect!
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby jtlee321 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:42 pm

And the ending bid on the auction that this topic is about...... $4194.44! Good luck to the buyer!!
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:21 pm

jtlee321 wrote:And the ending bid on the auction that this topic is about...... $4194.44! Good luck to the buyer!!

You gotta wonder if he'll rip it open or it'll sit in a safe deposit box for another couple decades.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:32 pm

jtlee321 wrote:And the ending bid on the auction that this topic is about...... $4194.44! Good luck to the buyer!!

Another one of his rolls is still open for bidding and is already over $4,400.00!!!
Pretty good profit for the $600 he probably has into these. What a bastard.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-SEALED-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-CARSON-CITY-NV-Bank-Roll-16-FULL-STACK-/251087860680?_trksid=p1984.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222001%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D16%26meid%3D105324918788625107%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D2%26
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:36 pm

That's amazing! I saw this thread and though about doing a $1200 bid. Before I read all the evidence ya'll provided.

If you go through his feedback you'll se a roll sold for over $5K
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Treetop » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:52 pm

Wow!
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby stlouiscoin » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:08 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
AGgressive Metal wrote:
cesariojpn wrote:As Pawn Stars/Hardcore Pawn/Oddities/whatever show where things are sold proves (and to an extent, the Traveling Grifter Shows, Pawn Shops, and Fly-By-Night Precious Metal buyers), people are too eager and greedy to get a huge payday for little effort and work.

I think you have found the answer!! WE NEED SOMEONE TO TAKE ONE OF THESE ROLLS ON THE PAWN STARS SHOW!! :lol:

I can see it now, the "old man" drooling, the "experts" being called, the haggling, etc

I figure someone can do the same results for alot less than the bids on eBay right now. It'll take abit more work, but you can make a passable wrapper like the one in the auction

Research and settle on a real banks name to use. Settle around the 1930's. The more older and out of business (say, around 1950's closures) the better, cause there will be little to no people to refute the claim and it'll trip up the expert abit.

I figure silkscreen the (REAL) bank name on brown wrapping paper instead of using an inkjet printer since inkjet runs when wet. Maybe "age" the paper abit to lend some authenticity (quickest way I can figure is below).

Find a couple of "cheap" AU sliders for the ends, load up the middle coins with some Morgan culls or other coins similar to Morgans, glue the wrapper with the stack, and rub the wrap between your hands and feet to "age" the paper.

Invent some BS story about how this came from "My Uncles Sisters Cousins Mothers Bastard Son, twice removed" Bank executive estate (use real names to stump the expert abit). Make sure you get the story and attitude down pat.

Now, here is where it'll get tricky.

If they buy the dupe, underoffer like crazy. If the expert says $4,000, ask $2,000. At this point, your in the hole for a few hundred dollars, no sense in being too greedy. So long as you clear the expense by a few hundred, it's gravy.

If the expert declares it as a fake.......LET THE F-BOMBS ROLL!!!!! "Disown" your "deceased relatives" on camera. Say your gonna be chastised by your wife and your gonna be sleeping in the car out on the curb. Do whatever it takes to lay the blame away from you. You need to portray yourself as the victim, not the fraudster.

I assume no responsibility if you undertake this idea in anyway, shape or form.

I'll try to do one of these... thoughts? I'll post the results when I'm done. If you guys think it lives up to this one..... maybe, just maybe, I'll put it on feebay.
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheba » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:53 pm

For what its worth ... I wouldn't touch this auction with a 10 ft pole (not a problem for me anyway since I don't have that kind of money to gamble with and I don't gamble anyway! :D )

I feel sorry, in a way, for those who are bidding on this. Getting set up for a let down, I think. :(
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverStateGOP » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:24 am

ScottyTX wrote:Umm yeah big issues here are, if a bank was taking in silver dollars and re-rolling them--as per his clues of various dates-- Most would be AU sliders from slight rubbing. Yes silver dollars were used vary raely back then but if your getting P,D,S,O mint coins mixed into the CC's at the "Carson city Bank" someone had it in their pocket for a while. Wonder how all those MS DMPL/PL coins got in there........ I'm no expert but I'm thininking the bank wouldn't roll together 15-20.00 back in the 1800's. For them to do that there would have to have been quite the demand for silver dollars running rampant and that was just not the case. Besides, if someone wanted a bunch, the bank most likely had to place an order from the Federal bank and they most likely received them in a bag.... Scam artist should be shot in at least one knee just on principles :)

Nah.. sledgehammer.

SSGOP

GOPSilverState@centurylink.net
SilverStateGOP
Penny Pincher Member

Postby stlouiscoin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:20 pm

it just occured to me... What if the guy he might be consigning them for is counterfeiting them??
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:27 am

ScottyTX wrote:Umm yeah big issues here are, if a bank was taking in silver dollars and re-rolling them--as per his clues of various dates-- Most would be AU sliders from slight rubbing. Yes silver dollars were used vary raely back then but if your getting P,D,S,O mint coins mixed into the CC's at the "Carson city Bank" someone had it in their pocket for a while. Wonder how all those MS DMPL/PL coins got in there........ I'm no expert but I'm thininking the bank wouldn't roll together 15-20.00 back in the 1800's. For them to do that there would have to have been quite the demand for silver dollars running rampant and that was just not the case. Besides, if someone wanted a bunch, the bank most likely had to place an order from the Federal bank and they most likely received them in a bag.... Scam artist should be shot in at least one knee just on principles

Given how the daily wages were back then.....
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby im2shakey » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:35 pm

I trust no EBAY auction...last year I bought a roll of 1996 ASE's and when I got them I looked at the first 5 or 6 and all was great...about 6 months later pulled then out of SDB only to find out that the bottom 9, Rare,Unc,MS , coins looked like someone played poker with them...i was furious...after all the time had passed their was nothing left to do...so now I am the proud owner of 9 junky scratched 1996 Eagles that I payed a premium for...ohh well...lesson learned...now I'm a member of bullion stacker and realcent.
im2shakey
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:23 am

bman wrote:if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....it's probably a duck!
These rolls are as fake as a $3 bill. :roll: How would a 100+ year old roll get that dirty without the coins on the ends getting any toning on them?

Hey, I have some real $3 bills. But I agree, this is definately eBay sucker bait! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals