Paper silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Paper silver

Postby scyther » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:14 am

I've been thinking of getting into paper silver. How should I do that?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Paper silver

Postby Engineer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:50 am

With plenty of lubricant.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 am

http://silver-etf.org/
http://www.indexuniverse.com/sections/f ... ecord.html

Be careful, does not list PSLV that's the Sprott fund. I've heard we will take another run to $50, and soon but I have no idea. With the swings we have paper seems like a great play. For instance once this year we went from about $27 to about $37, then .. we almost did it again, still could however I've heard silver is going to get knocked down yet this month, I'm not sure that it will.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:15 pm

I'm no expert in Paper Silver, but from what I have read about it....it appears that most of this "silver" is merely a phantom, and doesn't really exist. I'm a fan of the physical, gotta say! :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:46 pm

I have no use for "paper silver." There's no way I'd entrust my hard-earned cash into just an entry in a computer-generated monthly statement. If there's any physical silver at all in these accounts, it's likely sold on margin in many multiples in hopes no one will catch on to their ruse.

If you're hesitant to store physical silver at your residence, you're better off to arrange storage at an off-site secured location. Do your own due diligence about when you may or may not be able to access your personal stash before agreeing to anything. You're the customer. You have the power.

Best wishes for your success.

KCC
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Tourney64 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:25 pm

If silver ever did skyrocket, the paper silver would become even more worthless than it already is.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby mongo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:32 pm

If you dont possess it , You dont own it. With integrity at an all time low in about everything, its never been more true.

Sort On
Mongo
mongo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby slvrbck » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 pm

I can see the appeal in such a market. . . buying and selling with a click of a mouse. I would encourage you to think long and hard about it, dyodd. Not for me.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby scyther » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:44 am

Yeah, I realize most of it probably doesn't really exist, and I could get screwed if the scheme collapses. However, I think it's a lot easier to make money trading in paper than selling your stuff back to the coin shop every time it goes over $40 (which I hope will actually happen soon...). I do have some physical, and I'll buy more when it goes below $30 again, but I think it's inconvenient for trading... or at least that's what I've always heard. For all I know the coin shop would give me a great price, but I think they'd see quickly enough that they're losing money on me if I always buy low and sell high. Also, claims (which my be totally accurate as far as I know) of market manipulation have been around for like... ever, right? If it hasn't collapsed by now, it probably won't soon.

And by the way I'm not considering putting like a ton of money in this... I don' have enough even if i wanted to :oops: But maybe like $500-$1,000 at the most so i can make some bank...
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:47 am

Tourney64 wrote:If silver ever did skyrocket, the paper silver would become even more worthless than it already is.

I think of the opposite way- if it became apparent that the paper silver schemes were frauds and supply was much lower than it seemed, the price of physical would rise dramatically. This could help offset the losses to a certain extent.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mtldealer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:55 am

Engineer wrote:With plenty of lubricant.

Dri slide. It works for my Ryedale.
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby baggerman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:04 pm

I just bought 2 contracts for Jan 2015 calls with a strike price of $35. Cost me $740.00. I expect to sell them on the next run up in silver prices.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals