90% Storage, Paper, Plastic or other?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

90% Storage, Paper, Plastic or other?

Postby newton7 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:35 pm

Was rolling up some 90% for storage and I got to thinking. Is this the best way to keep it? I have bought some rolls in plastic tubes, some loose and some in plastic bags. I once had some clad get spots on them in plastic tube from mositure I can only guess so now I opt for the paper coin rolls. It gives the mositure a chance to escape if present and they stack smaller than plastic tubes. They are cheap and if you look around there are several different brands of wrappers around to help keep them organized. You can write on them and they stack like little logs in the box. They also help me to keep count of how much is where.

This is by no means the best or correct method but what I use.

Is plastic better? Buckets? Bags?

What do you do with your 90% for storage???

Any thoughts are greatly helpful. :D

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Re: 90% Storage, Paper, Plastic or other?

Postby TXBullion » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:43 pm

I like the square coin tubes, there is two brands at least of them. I like that they dont roll :lol:
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:46 pm

I like the canvas bags ;)
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Rosco » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:26 pm

I'm using smaller Tupper ware containers' oblong ones neither are full they hold rolls an reduce the handling when you have the need to fondle :lol: 8-)
using paper rolls to simplify counting needed only for Dimes an 40% halves :)

I have the coin in flips stored in bank check boxes any one know of a good container for the 2 x 2s
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Nacinator » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:31 am

Square plastic coin tubes neatly stacked in 30 cal ammo cans with desi-packs
Nacinator
Penny Sorter Member

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:47 am

Lock-in-locks inside ammo cans works for me. Airtight, packs tight and heavy :) 55 gallon drums with plastic liners work pretty good too. ;)
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby jasmatk » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:41 pm

I just throw it in the pool scrooge Mcduck style :lol:
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blatant » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:36 pm

general junk, doesn't matter how you store it, unless there is something special to it.
blatant

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:17 am

Whatever you do... DO NOT STORE IT IN ANY KIND OF PAPER!!! :o :shock:

It will tarnish on you and drop in value. Yeah, yeah, I know... it's only junk silver... until a buyer says he doesn't want to pay full retail 'cause it's tarnished. :evil:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby newton7 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:29 am

Tarnish? Even the store bought coin wrappers? I thought they were designed for this type of thing? What do you use?
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:00 am

A couple of people have PM'ed me about paper storage of silver coins. So, I will address my experiences for you.

When you open a paper roll of coins looking for silvers, the fastest way to see silvers is to do an edge check. Silvers are usually darkened on the edge. That is because the acid in the paper has had a galvanic reaction to the silver and tarnished it.

All paper is made employing acid in the process. There is always a teensy bit of residual acid left in the paper. When that paper is left touching silver for any time, it tarnishes.

Also, coin shops used to sell little paper envelopes to store sorted coins. They were cheap and you could write on the envelope what you had inside. At that time no one knew how bad that would be for the silver coins. I was a real coin sorting hog back in the day. From 1964 until about 1970. All coins were stored in those little paper coin envelopes. Last summer, I opened up those old envelopes to discover that they had tarnished where the coins made contact with paper! :o :shock: A life time of coin collecting was ruined! GaaAAGGghhh!!!!!

IMHO all coins have a numismatic value to them until they are worn down to "slicks". If someone needs a coin to fill out a collection, then that coin has value to it for that person. Even if it's a G-4. So don't store your coins carelessly.

The number one culprit to tarnishing silver is sulfur oxides. They occur naturally. They can be airborne. They can also be on your skin, so, handle your coins with care. I use cotton gloves.

I store coins in plastic coin rolls or little plastic envelopes that you can find at coin shops. Be sure to talk to a coin dealer about your concerns of proper storage. After they are in plastic, they go into air tight containers with silica packs to absorb moisture and also chalk to absorb the sulfur oxides.

If anyone knows a better way to store them, man, I am all ears! I don't want to repeat the fiasco of last summer!

Edit: Be careful even with the plastic! Some plastics have chemicals in them that will tarnish the silver!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hirbonzig » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:16 am

Old canvas bags work great--easy to open 'em up and toss in that days silver finds.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:47 am

i count out specified amounts like $10 or $100 and then vacuum seal them in bags.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:44 am

humbly, there is no such thing as "junk silver". 90%'ers will be the currency that you use to buy food, when the SHTF. dateless 90% clods, yes that's junk, but if its pre-64, its tradeable.

i store everything in tubes, in a lockbox, in a safe, and i have no qualms about using any means neccesary to keep it, should anyone have designs on it.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:50 am

neilgin1 wrote:humbly, there is no such thing as "junk silver". 90%'ers will be the currency that you use to buy food, when the SHTF. dateless 90% clods, yes that's junk, but if its pre-64, its tradeable.

i store everything in tubes, in a lockbox, in a safe, and i have no qualms about using any means neccesary to keep it, should anyone have designs on it.

the truly wise here will be growing food when or if tshtf..... atleast imo. the silver and gold to buffer that, and retain wealth while we rebuild..... If the [shucks] REALLY hits the fan, silver is just metal, if times are just really tough, then why waste all your silver or gold on food when you can grow it? If youve got a job worth going to, then your making enough in whatever currency to keep food on the table or its not worth the job. Otherwise youve got time to garden.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:49 pm

funny you should say that.....just bot 5 gal buckets of hard red sprind wheat and a hand mill...and i got a bunch of seed from seed savers, got some really great heirloom varities there. i real good operation, seed savers.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Ronin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:28 pm

Nacinator wrote:Square plastic coin tubes neatly stacked in 30 cal ammo cans with desi-packs

I also store mine in square coin tubes in 30 cal cans. I find the dime and quarter tubes fit nicely laying on their sides, and as the top of the coin tube is a bit wider than the bottom I stagger each one. If I recall correctly, I think you can fit 77 dime tubes in a 30 cal can, not sure about quarters. I never thought too much about 'proper' storage, just saw it as 90% junk that's been circulated for years and this was a compact and convenient place to stack it. I haven't used the desi-packs, maybe I'll take a look at that. Thanks for the tips everyone.
Ronin

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals