Silver Quarter from coin return machine.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Quarter from coin return machine.

Postby jtlee321 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:33 am

So I finally took a good look at all the machines that they have at some of the check out stands that automatically give you your change. I happen to spot what looked like a silver edge in the quarters at one of the machines. The check out lane was closed, so I asked the lady working at the Customer Service counter if I could buy a specific quarter from one of the check out stands. She looked at me and said yes, but also asked why I would want a specific quarter. I told her that is looked like it might be a silver quarter. That peaked her interest and she grabbed the key and proceeded to open the machine. She asked me how I knew it was silver. I told her because of the color of the edge of the quarter and showed her. She handed me the quarter and smiled and I gave her a replacement. I thanked her and walked away. It turned out to be an uncirculated 1964-d Washington Quarter. I will be checking all registers from now on.
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Re: Silver Quarter from coin return machine.

Postby Corsair » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:52 am

Nice find. Since the teller seemed so happy to help you, you might try educating her a bit, and telling her that you'd compensate her for anything she would pull from circulation for you.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Re: Silver Quarter from coin return machine.

Postby geewhzz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:03 pm

Nice find!!! I was at Chipotle the other day and tried glancing at their buts it was too hard to examine.

I actually went into Tilt Arcade at the mall a while ago and looked in the glass machines that use quarters as part of the game and spotted 3 silver quarters, but the guy working didn't have the key, even offered him money for getting them for me.

However, I did put in $9 into the change machine and scored a silver quarter. Was a real thrill..
geewhzz

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals