Young People

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Young People

Postby fansubs_ca » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:35 am

Bluegill wrote:I have successfully used Panamanian ¼ Balboas as quarters on 3 different occasions. Twice they didn't even bother to pay attention to what it was. The third time I just told the clerk it was Commemorative quarter. It is commemorating the U.S. funding and building of the Panama canal.

At least that's technically the same value. ^_-

I was at a postal outlet a few weeks back and got a Phiilipines 1 peso coin in place of a
quarter. I decided "good enough" because it was something I thought was interesting
even if I didn't know the value at that exact moment. (The Phillipne Peso is not a currency
I watch on a regular basis. ^_-) I looked it up when I got home, worth 2.5¢.

Both of the 2 customers ahead of me were Philipino so I suspect it wasn't in the till long.
The thing is Canada has so many commemorative quartes by now, the U.S. has all the
state quarters and now a bunch of parks quarters (which are generally accepted here
anyways) that nobody thinks to look too close at a coin that looks different anymore
since there are so many variations circulating.

This reminds me of when I went to Burger King a few weeks back. The total was $5.14
so since I had exact change I get out a $5 bill, a dime, and 4 pennies. The girl says
"we don't take pennies anymore" and just takes the $5 bill and the dime, so I figure
OK, this only costs me $5.10. Then for some reason she thought she had to give me
change and tries handing me back some kind of coin, at this point I have to explain
that she doesn't owe me any change back. I mean it's only been a few months and the
sight of pennies is already confusing people! :-O

What's next, handing someone a (steel core ^_-) penny and them thinking they owe you
a bag full of $100 bills back? :D
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby stlouiscoin » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:23 am

I was going to vouch that my generation wasn't that stupid, but right before this I hopped on facebook and saw several pregnant girls... with statuses like "free______'s baby daddy!" and I lost hope for about 80% of my generation. the other 20% is looking very promising.
Last edited by stlouiscoin on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:44 am

stlouiscoin wrote:I was going to vouch that my generation wasn't that stupid, but right before this I hopped on facebook and saw several pregnant girls... with statuses like "free______ baby daddy!" and I lost hope for about 80% of my generation. the other 20% is looking very promising.

Unfortunately, you are a rarity among your peers. I think 20% may be too generous.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:05 am

Sorry I'm dim, what is the _____ in "free _____ baby daddy" representing? Can someone PM me or something?
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:05 pm

beauanderos wrote:So... I went over to the local Taco Bell to pick up breakfast, a chicken quesadilla. Paid for it with seven Kennedy halves. When I laid them on the counter she just stared and asked "what are those? Dollars?" Can you believe it? 18 years old and never seen a half dollar? No wonder there's silver turned into the bank by lucky inheritee's :shock:

Ray...sadly, this generation is RIGHT on the brink of being taught harsh and new brutal lessons...lets hope the Republic...or whats left of it, makes it thru the learning curve....i'm rather pessimistic this moment.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:31 pm

barrytrot wrote:Sorry I'm dim, what is the _____ in "free _____ baby daddy" representing? Can someone PM me or something?

I think the blank line is the person's name being left out.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby InfleXion » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:35 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
beauanderos wrote:So... I went over to the local Taco Bell to pick up breakfast, a chicken quesadilla. Paid for it with seven Kennedy halves. When I laid them on the counter she just stared and asked "what are those? Dollars?" Can you believe it? 18 years old and never seen a half dollar? No wonder there's silver turned into the bank by lucky inheritee's :shock:

Ray...sadly, this generation is RIGHT on the brink of being taught harsh and new brutal lessons...lets hope the Republic...or whats left of it, makes it thru the learning curve....i'm rather pessimistic this moment.

I actually have more hope for the younger generation than the general consensus of this thread. When you take kids working at a fast food joint, and no disrespect intended, but the demographic is of people who do not need any special skills to acquire the job. There are a lot of young 20 somethings who are very well informed and passionate about things that affect the world they live in. The Internet has enabled them to advance their learning more so than when most of us were their age, so while the vast majority may still not have a clue, those that do are more empowered than past generations IMO. My concern is not the youth so much as the populous at large that has become dependent on the nanny state. Kids are mostly still dependent on their parents ;)
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals