Older Wells Fargo Armored labeled half rolls at a BofA bank

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Older Wells Fargo Armored labeled half rolls at a BofA bank

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:44 pm

I got a call yesterday from one of the tellers at a local B of A that she had $500 in halves she could sell me.

I went in today to pick them up and they are bank wrapped rolls from Wells Fargo.

I currently pick up halves at my Wells Fargos in the area and the wrappers are white and black and do not have a Well's Fargo logo on them.

These $500 appear to be older wrappers (maybe 1990's?) and are tan and blue and have Wells Fargo Armored inprinted on them.

When I opened one of the rolls, they were all BU 1995's and I looked at some of the other rolls that were broken and taped and they were all BU 1995's

So I am going to assume these are all 1995's in all these rolls.

Is there any value to these since they are unoppened BU 1995's? I hate to dump them back into the half sorting pool that I am currently buying from because I am sure I would just run into them again.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Older Wells Fargo Armored labeled half rolls at a BofA b

Postby Country » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:20 pm

I got a few boxes of BU 1995-P and over 40 boxes of BU 1994-P last year. The only person who seemed interested was Hoard, and then only a box of each. I think they have nominal collector value, but only for a few rolls by collectors completing a date set. Don't expect to get any premium over face value for these as there is little or no interest. I'd suggest keeping a few rolls and dumping the rest.

As far as dumping and getting your dumps back again, try to dump your halves at a bank that uses a different service provider. If your source bank has Brink's, use another bank for dumping that has Dunbar. I do that all the time to avoid getting back my dumps.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:39 pm

If anyone is interested in a roll or two of these let me know; otherwise, I will probably dump them at a credit union.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Country wrote:As far as dumping and getting your dumps back again, try to dump your halves at a bank that uses a different service provider. If your source bank has Brink's, use another bank for dumping that has Dunbar. I do that all the time to avoid getting back my dumps.

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding from talking to various bank personnel that it doesn't make any difference who the carrier is (Loomis, Brinks, etc) because the carriers don't repackage them. They go to the District Banks maintained by the Fed in each District, where they are redistributed after rewrapping and boxing. And Adam is of the opinion a half flat contains probably $50,000 of coinage. As most demand would seem to originate from us searchers, I would imagine we are searching the same pallets (maybe two or three at most) repeatedly. This means that we WILL be researching the same halves over and over, and it's only when a drop or two of new blood trickles into the pool that we will scent the kill. But you have to do it, if you want to be the one who bags the prey. Skunks are just the price we pay for the rare incredible score 8-)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PennyPauper » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:18 pm

I think dunbar bought brinks sometime ago,so same company? And also don't the armored car services act as distributors of the fed branches.I'm not sure alot of coin gets returned to the fed branches unless there is a surplus or shortage.
All the bags I get are addressed to the fed but I think they ever end up there as they just get redistruibuted or boxed by brinks,ect. and sent back to the banks.
This is a area I'd like to understand better since it would help knowing what the odds are of ever sorting the same coin.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BamaJoe » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Beauanderos - you could be wrong and you could be right, from what I've found out it depends on your location. My wife is a head teller and I got her to look into just who it is that does the repacking of the coins. Loomis is her bank's carrier and she's talked to a number of the drivers and also actually called their local office and spoke to the manager there. In this area, each carrier (Loomis, Brinks, etc.) does their own repacking of coins, only sending them to the Fed. Reserve if they have more than they want on hand or ordering them if they are short. In other areas, typically smaller markets, the carriers send them to the Fed. Reserve and all the repacking is handed there.

So it really depends on where you are. If possible, I would advice everyone to find out for their own area.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Well, since B of A is by far the largest network of banks in my small town of 500,000 I guess I don't mind returning my junk only to have it come back again, as the web will catch any other donations from feeble-minded old people and vengeful ex-spouses... as they say. Or just drug-crazed meth heads. I have about fifteen branches of B of A in town, but don't have the time or desire to set up secondary dump networks with other banks that transport with differing carriers. Good luck to all, hope each of your own strategies works for the best... and let's capture all that silver float before the public wakes up! Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:30 am

beauanderos: A full skid of half dollars is $50,000

PennyPauper : No, Dunbar did not buy out brinks. Unlike Loomis and Brinks Dunbar is not in all 50 states. Loomis,Garda,Brinks, and Dunbar are the biggest "commercial" armored. There are less than 75 independant armored...Rochester armored being the largest (located in the midwest)

BamaJoe: The Fed terminals are in the same buildings as the armored. The actually fed themselves have a different location but there terminals and coin depots are in the armored facilities. None, of the armored actually own any of their own coin so all coin gets deposited into the fed either on behalf of the armored or on behalf of the customer (bank)

beauanderos is right when he said "As most demand would seem to originate from us searchers, I would imagine we are searching the same pallets (maybe two or three at most) repeatedly." Unless you are searching "large" numbers you will never empty that first $50,000 skid. You order halves, they either have some wrapped or have to wrap some off of this skid, you sort them and return them to the bank, the armored picks the bag up and process's it, the bag lands back on the same skid it originally came from (unless there was enough orders during this time to empty the skid), and repeat! Yes, you will get some new coins because there is some other people who are deposited halves, but you will most likely be seeing at least some of your already searched halves.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Country » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm sure I emptied the skid at my local Brinks. After some older rich in SILVER boxes in early March 2010, the Brink's boxes disappeared for the rest of the month, and I got the Dunbar-like long-boxes with holes in the box as Brink's most likely got more halves from the FED. When they replenished and reboxed halves by early April, I ended up getting 40+ boxes in a row of 1994-P halves, which had to come directly from the Richmond, Va FED. I gave up with Brink's in my area because all I got was BU boxes which were useless to me. I went to another local source bank that uses Dunbar, which gives me the long-boxes with the holes in them. For a while, I was getting mostly recent repackaged dumps, and have gotton a few of these in the last couple weeks too. But, in the last 2 weeks, I have started to get boxes date stamped in early 2008, which have some good SILVER in them. One even older box, without a date stamp, had 2 Barber halves in it. Every one of the 2008 boxes I received have had SILVER in them. So, I think I am getting to some old boxes, probably on a pallet, that have good SILVER in them. I think these boxes have been sitting on a pallet in my local Dunbar facility for 3 or more years.

My dumps now go back to Brink's via my local Credit Union. Interestingly, my new Dunbar bank was my old dump bank, whose branches received $40K of the BU 1994-P halves. These must have gone back to the Richmond, VA Fed, because I have not seen them. I am somewhat certain that Brink's and Dunbar must have separate facilities in my area. None of my test marked halves have been seen by me. I am somewhat certain that when they receive excess halves, that they individually return them to the Richmond, Va Fed.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby PennyPauper » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:35 pm

My info was bad.That is what I heard from a friend who has a relative who works for either brinks or dunbar locally.He has said this many times.I'll have some questions for him when I see him next and set him straight.My friend was trying to source state quarters so I had no reason to doubt him.Anyways,its great to discuss this topic and hear the different stories.
I'm trying to figure it out since I'd like to get more cents to sort and always wonder if I'm dumping in a bank which will place them back into my pickup banks.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:45 pm

Country wrote:I'm sure I emptied the skid at my local Brinks. After some older rich in SILVER boxes in early March 2010, the Brink's boxes disappeared for the rest of the month, and I got the Dunbar-like long-boxes with holes in the box as Brink's most likely got more halves from the FED. When they replenished and reboxed halves by early April, I ended up getting 40+ boxes in a row of 1994-P halves, which had to come directly from the Richmond, Va FED. I gave up with Brink's in my area because all I got was BU boxes which were useless to me. I went to another local source bank that uses Dunbar, which gives me the long-boxes with the holes in them. For a while, I was getting mostly recent repackaged dumps, and have gotton a few of these in the last couple weeks too. But, in the last 2 weeks, I have started to get boxes date stamped in early 2008, which have some good SILVER in them. One even older box, without a date stamp, had 2 Barber halves in it. Every one of the 2008 boxes I received have had SILVER in them. So, I think I am getting to some old boxes, probably on a pallet, that have good SILVER in them. I think these boxes have been sitting on a pallet in my local Dunbar facility for 3 or more years.

My dumps now go back to Brink's via my local Credit Union. Interestingly, my new Dunbar bank was my old dump bank, whose branches received $40K of the BU 1994-P halves. These must have gone back to the Richmond, VA Fed, because I have not seen them. I am somewhat certain that Brink's and Dunbar must have separate facilities in my area. None of my test marked halves have been seen by me. I am somewhat certain that when they receive excess halves, that they individually return them to the Richmond, Va Fed.

What happened there is that Brinks actually ran out of halves to give you so they ended up getting a "fed shipment" from another location. That shipment apprently consisted of at least 2 skids of BU 1994 P.s
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals