Metal Detecting Official 2011 Tracking Thread

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Metal Detecting Finds

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:32 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
chris6084 wrote:Rode- when are we going to hear your story???

hahahaah.....I promise I will get to it sooner or later. ;)

Its a doozie

Will this work of yours be fact or fiction? Are you writing a freakin' novel? You know if you wait too long, you'll end up going out detecting....and once again have no time for your epic novel of your discoveries. EVERYONE LIKES A GOOD STORY! :mrgreen:
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:18 am

ok ok ok....I will do it in installments.

First installment comes today.....hell or high water....you have my word on it.

Doc
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:23 am

The story: Part 1 of 3 "the dig"

So I picked up a new Garret Ace 250 from eBay just before Thanksgiving of 2010. I had followed this very thread; the seemingly daily reports of mounds of clad unearthed by our very own TJCF. It made me anxious to “get out there” and get my share of the goods. Some of the key points that I tuned into where the locations that members posted hunting from. It got me thinking and helped me propose a few very important questions upon myself to help locate suitable hunting grounds.

What do I want to find? Answer: coins and jewelry.

Where do people , in large numbers , loose such things and have trouble retrieving them? Answer: the beach! Well that’s good news I know of a few freshwater swimming beaches close by that are exposed during this time of year for water management purposes.

Is it obvious? Answer: yep, people hit it each year MD’ing as the water goes down. All great lost treasure surely has been dug.

Is this the only place where people swim on this lake? Answer: No….there are other out of the way areas that are popular with swimmers and cliff jumpers accessible only by boat or hike.

Bingo I have found my target areas! Trip set and planned.

On Day #1 of hunting a popular mid-lake Cliff Jump/swimming area I was working the face of a very large rock. This Rock was situated about 40 feet deep relative to summer pool oriented in a way as to funnel lost items as they sink into a narrow 4’x15’ settling area. The soil of this area is almost entirely silt with some leaves and stick biomass interspersed. I worked this hotbed and dug every signal that was present. I pulled a good bit of clad from the top layer.

Day #2 I returned to the site after an early morning trip to Lowes to procure a hard plastic garden trowel (paid for in halves). I had developed a game plan that previous night while speaking with my father on the telephone. It was decided that the soil directly adjacent to the funnel rock should contain the most goodies. I had decided, identifying my ace’s depth as the limiting factor, to sit on my rump and blind dig a 2’X1’ hole as deep as I could and run the material under the detector one trowel full at a time. Sure enough this method produced some interesting finds; two in particular. First a single hollowware style 10K gold earring. I only found this item due to the decrease in density that the sealed air bubble inside created. I believe now that more gold exists at this site to be found. It is just much deeper probably resting on the bedrock itself. I am sure of this due to the fact that I recovered zero fishing sinkers at this site.

Second Item of interest was this non-PM class ring with the initials marked EAJ:

Part 2 of 3 "the hunt for EAJ" to follow soon
Attachments
gold1.jpg
gold1.jpg (195.1 KiB) Viewed 697 times
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Where's the part about the alien abduction plans you disrupted and men in black suits?
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:17 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Where's the part about the alien abduction plans you disrupted and men in black suits?

I'll get there :lol:

I promise not to strech the truth.....only the facts. ;)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:53 pm

So the stroy....or actions of it are complete.....as of yesterday the ring is no longer in my possesion....expect part two before the super bowl or sooner.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:39 pm

This is starting to be as exciting as a toothache! :P
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:31 pm

The Story: Part 2 of 3 "the Hunt for EAJ"

So here I am with a class ring in hand. Excited about my finds I post some pics and info here on RC.org. After a few inquiries about the specificities of the class ring I make the following post:

“Clues from the ring:
School - Summersville Junior High
Date - 1999
Initials - E A J

Things to think about:
This girl was in junior high in 1999. She probably graduated high school from Nicholas county High between 2003-2004. I have a cousin that graduated in that time range. I will call him and see if the initials ring a bell.”

So I called my cousin Eric. The ring was discussed at some detail. He explained that he knew of only one person with those initials and that person was a “big burley dude”; Clearly not the owner of our female ring. Ultimately we hit a brick wall and he couldn’t come up with any direct leads. Not a total let down though. We were able to plan a fishing trip and he did have one promising resource that may help me track down the elusive EAJ.

So I called my aunt Kandy (Eric’s Mother and my new resource). She holds an administration position at the High School that would have had EAJ as she progressed in her education. I explained to her the situation, the ring, and my quest to return it to the rightful original owner. She agreed to help. My aunt explained that she has access to all records of past and current students and should have no problem finding our EAJ and that she would get back to me within a day or two.

The next day I answered the phone. My aunt was on the other line. She said, “Chris I had luck. I found two people with those initials: Eric A. Jordan which I remember as being a good sized young man....and....get this......you’ll never believe who else!” :o

Part 3 of 3 "Who?...no way" to follow soon
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:34 pm

Elvis?
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:26 am

I detect a lot in the fall and winter(when there isn't 18 inches of snow on the ground) I am sorting pennies to pass the time this winter.. Here is a nice penny I found at a cellar hole in the woods in warmer days ..
Attachments
lgcent.jpg
lgcent.jpg (93.85 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:02 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:The Story: Part 2 of 3 "the Hunt for EAJ"

Part 3 of 3 "Who?...no way" to follow soon

Ok...got my popcorn ready :D ....closed the blinds so not to get distatcted by the mounds of SNOW outside :cry: ...ready for the end of this mini-series...I'm waiting....!!!!! :D :mrgreen:
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:18 pm

Temps were awesome today....if it wasn't for the snow....the freaking snow.....the freaking snow everywhere...I would have been swinging my ace all day! :cry:
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby kiwiman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:12 pm

well how bout it?! who is eaj?
You could be sorting right now.
kiwiman
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rosco » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:09 pm

Come on Doc we are waiting with BAAAD breath :P :P How about the rest of the STORY :mrgreen:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:48 am

So did some MD'ng sunday for 2 hours at a new spot on my winter pool lake. Managed to liberate $1.43 in clad coin.

As for EAJ.........coming soon.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:19 am

yeah scratch that.

Part 3 of 3 "Who?...no way."

coming today at 7:00-7:30PM eastern.

Let the theories fly as to who it may be.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:59 am

Rodebaugh wrote:yeah scratch that.

Part 3 of 3 "Who?...no way."

coming today at 7:00-7:30PM eastern.

Let the theories fly as to who it may be.

Can we try and bump it up to central time; some of us go to sleep early :lol:
TXBullion

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Part 3 of 3 "Who?...no way"

So I call up my brother’s long term live in girlfriend and explain that me and my wife are coming to collect my 12 year old niece to take her shopping. Mrs Rodebaugh and I arrive at my brother’s house. While my niece is getting ready I begin talking with pseudo-sister-in-law. She is a pretty nice chick but can be as windy as my brother at times.

I present a ring out of my pocket to her and ask “what do you make of this?”

She turns a little white and asks softly, “where did you get this?”

Being the ass that I am I do not answer her question. I just say, “yeah I am some sort of wizard or something”

Not fazed by my silliness she goes on to say, “This is my ring....Holy crap! How could you have it? I lost this ring when I was in Junior High just after I got it. That had to be like 11 years ago or something......in the lake......swimming!”

As she stood in disbelief I explained how I had bought a metal detector and used it to find her ring along with some other cool stuff. She still was standing there with her jaw in the floor as I went on taking about how I located EAJ.....she was just amazed.

The ring, after being lost at sea the lake for eleven years, has been returned to it's original owner.

So folks, out of all the people that swim and enjoy the largest lake West Virginia has to offer......The ring’s owner “EAJ” happens to be my sister-in-law/brother’s long-term live in girlfriend.

Hope you enjoyed the story, Doc Rodebaugh :P
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby silverflake » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:58 pm

OK, I love reading this board so I am going to plunge in and ask the most obvious, maybe even embarrassing question. WHAT METAL DETECTOR DO I BUY? If you can provide me with answers and reviews (or maybe direct me to another thread that I missed) I would be very greatful. Thanks from a budding metal detector in southwestern Virginia.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverflake » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:59 pm

OK, I love reading this board so I am going to plunge in and ask the most obvious, maybe even embarrassing question. WHAT METAL DETECTOR DO I BUY? If you can provide me with answers and reviews (or maybe direct me to another thread that I missed) I would be very greatful. Thanks from a budding metal detector in southwestern Virginia.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Metal Detecting Official 2011 Tracking Thread

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:48 pm

Official 2011 Metal Detecting Tracking Thread

The purpose of this thread is to keep running totals, monthly statistics, and showcase exciting finds by Realcent members from metal detecting endeavours while promoting a little friendly competition.

Please report:
-Date Hunted
-Hours Hunted
-Number of Coins found in each denomination and how many pennies were copper.
-All gold and/or silver finds
-And anything else you want to share

Statistic will be kept and running weighted scores will be calculated based on finds and hours hunted.

Now, go out and find that Buried Treasure!! :P

February Stats

Total Hours on the Hunt:
Rodebaugh-3.5

Total Coin Value Dug:
Rodebaugh-$1.95

Coin unearthed by State:
WV-$1.95

Gold and Silver
No data

Great Finds:
No data

Total Score:
Calculated by: [Sum of coin less CU cents+(CU cents X 2)]XHours Hunted X(1+grams gold)X[1+(0.1Xgrams silver)]
7.25-Rodebaugh
Last edited by Rodebaugh on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:26 pm

That is an awesome story Chris!
TXBullion

Re: Metal Detecting Official 2011 Tracking Thread

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:30 pm

So it is early still yet but I have managed to hunt the past 2 days just a little. Here are the stats:

I hunt in WV

02-14-11
-2.5 Hours hunted at my winter pool lake (new area)
-11 Zinc pennies
-7 copper pennies
-3 Nicks
-1 Dime
-4 Quarters
-I did find a ring but I think it is some sort of base metal and I broke it.....ooops :o

02-15-11
-1 Hour hunted at the lake(after work quickie)
-12 Zinc Pennies
-5 Copper keepers
-1 Nick
-3 Dimes
-No quarters
-this is the same area that I pulled gold and silver from last year. amazing the amount of coin one "walks over".
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:35 pm

TXBullion wrote:That is an awesome story Chris!

Thanks Jack.....It's just wild it was my brothers girlfriend. Now get your MD fired up for 2011 B/C I have been cleared to manage a Detecting tracking thread and keep stats. It can't be just TJCF and me.....cause he will make me look bad. :lol:

Time to "get out there" and sort out that free money.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:40 pm

I'll post there. But I'm no holding back. You guys are going to laugh at me, which is OK.

I have pretty badd ass MD (Tesoro LOBO supertrack) But I never find anything good, lots of crap.

All I get is a backache.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals