Gold futures hit >$2700

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Gold futures hit >$2700

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:26 am

Futures isn't a "real" price, I know, so this doesn't satisfy a 25 handle in my book, but it's notable.

Edit 13 Sep: Futures close at 2610.

Edit 26 Sep: Futures pass 2700.
Last edited by 68Camaro on Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Gold futures hit >$2500

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:58 am

Will it be a real price in the future? Why doesn't inflation of the money supply not apply to gold? One of life's simple little mysteries.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:34 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Will it be a real price in the future? Why doesn't inflation of the money supply not apply to gold? One of life's simple little mysteries.

I dunno. A lot of things that should compute don't anymore and my only explanation is that the system is broken and or rigged. There is still a moderate correlation between the USD and the price of gold - that's the only thing that seems to hold up, and I'm not sure that will hold forever.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby pennypicker » Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:18 pm

I have a friend who has been in the silver business since 1979 and when we were discussing the current silver market he told me technical charts and silver's history don't really mean anything anymore as we are in uncharted waters and it is more unpredictable than he's ever seen it.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 17, 2024 8:02 am

Well spot closed over $2500 yesterday, so that earlier futures price (though it dropped first, then came back) ended up being confirmed.
68Camaro

Postby Morsecode » Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:52 am

My guy has a display case full of silver bars, eagles and maples (though no 90% oddly), but he can't keep gold in the store. Which is sorta the opposite of last winter.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:03 pm

Asian markets have opened and gold is up...just a little.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:37 pm

Wow, yet another all time high!!
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:20 am

$2537.60 today
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:11 pm

$2585.25 today!
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Re: Gold futures hit >$2600

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:02 pm

Futures closed at $2610 so I edited the title
68Camaro

Re: Gold futures hit >$2600

Postby thecrazyone » Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:23 am

Wow!
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Re: Gold futures hit >$2700

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:51 am

Updated title, TTT.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:16 am

Ain't seen nothing yet. If this keeps up we should have a FOMO-mania coming soon.

Notice how whenever the overnight futures make a new high, TPTB come in around 8-10am (EST) and try to smack it back down. That trick doesn't work nearly as well as it use to though.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Thu Sep 26, 2024 9:02 am

Boy, I remember in the glory days of this site, the kind of movement we are seeing in gold (and now silver) would have had these boards abuzz with activity. Take that for what its worth. A lot of us who have been here for a while are older and the younguns on the site haven't grown enough in number. My gosh, I remember in 2004-ish when gold hit $400 I was ecstatic and telling everyone I could to buy gold (I was 34-35 that year). Back then, very few listened to me. Even those that did, when they came back to me after looking into buying gold bullion, they would say "Whoa, I don't know. A one once gold coin costs almost $450..." And these were coworkers and friends who were 100% invested in stocks in their 401-K's.

In 2009-2010 I used to read commentary on a website called "The One handed economist". He was a hard money guy, I think he was in New Hampshire but he would dole out fantastic pearls of wisdom in his daily/weekly free commentary (he also had a subscription newsletter). But the one thing he was banging his fists on the table about back then (in 2010) was a giant 2 year reverse head and shoulders chart formation on gold price and he was saying to buy it hand over fist if you could. I did what I could at the time but boy was he right. This guy has since died and when I last checked no one had taken over his letter.

Anyhow, I have to admit that even I am not jumping for joy as the reason for gold heading upwards is a bit unsettling (the very destruction of the dollar, we crow about that here often enough). Our economy is diseased. Our financial system is over leveraged...I guess thats the same symptoms that were happening in 2010 too but "this time its' different" (hate saying that).

Continue to stack, friends. Continue to post too as I value all of your wisdom.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:16 pm

silverflake wrote:Boy, I remember in the glory days of this site, the kind of movement we are seeing in gold (and now silver) would have had these boards abuzz with activity. Take that for what its worth. A lot of us who have been here for a while are older and the younguns on the site haven't grown enough in number. My gosh, I remember in 2004-ish when gold hit $400 I was ecstatic and telling everyone I could to buy gold (I was 34-35 that year). Back then, very few listened to me. Even those that did, when they came back to me after looking into buying gold bullion, they would say "Whoa, I don't know. A one once gold coin costs almost $450..." And these were coworkers and friends who were 100% invested in stocks in their 401-K's.

Started buying Au in 2002/03. Lots of 1/10oz AGEs ($40-45 each). People back then were telling me the premiums were too high. :lol:

Buying the stock market and holding would've done pretty well too, even through the 2008 financial crisis.

Hindsight is 20:20.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Oct 17, 2024 2:43 pm

Wonder if it can hit $3k by year end.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Oct 18, 2024 7:25 am

Gold has been increasing despite "swimming upstream" against a USD that remains relatively high. I don't see the USD remaining above 100 for long (years) and a dollar drop would kick gold prices still higher. I'm seeing published forecasts suggesting gold may double again to >$4800 before the end of this decade. I will not be surprised to see $10,000 gold before I die, and while much of that rise will simply be a hedge against a failing USD, some of it will be real appreciation. Having both is excellent.

While I continue to view silver as having the higher chance of greater performance, I think gold performs well at less risk (as well as less weight).
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 21, 2024 4:09 pm

Gold, and silver as well, hit actual all time, and 10 year local highs, before the USD got cranked up to 104 to slow the progress. Their prices are still very high for the USD being at 104. Nice to see the price monopoly starting to Crack. Hope it continues. Both are undervalued, and Silver especially.

Some consolidation at times is also is to be expected (and is actually good) as prices march up.
68Camaro

Postby Saabman » Tue Oct 22, 2024 6:10 am

Gold / Silver ratio back under 80 for the first time in a while......
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Tue Oct 22, 2024 9:51 am

Saabman wrote:Gold / Silver ratio back under 80 for the first time in a while......

Still miles away from where it should be, 20:1 (one $20 gold piece equals 20 silver dollars)
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals