Lame

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Lame

Postby Tantalar » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:36 pm

There was a day where I could go into a consignment shop and pick up gold and silver jewelry for a dollar or two a piece, but now the owner there has figured it out.

There used to be a day when I could go to a local thrift shop and do the same thing. Now they whisper about me whenever I walk in. They took all the silver and gold jewelry away and instead sell it to a guy who ONLY BUYS gold and silver. One of those "buying gold!!" places... So I am guessing they are getting about 50% of what it's worth or less... not to mention it is getting melted down, not used or admired.

Today I went in and two women who work there started whispering when they saw me come in. I look to see what they are saying and they stop whispering. Total silence. I get over to the jewelry and right as I start looking at the display of jewelry they start talking "I can never seem to find what I am looking for" randomly and giggle to each other and then perfect silence again. 8 months ago when I was finding gold there easily for dollars per piece, a VERY old lady that worked there would see me looking at the jewelry and go "you won't find any gold here" The same lady would say the same thing a few months ago to me. Others have whispered about me, some even right behind me when I was looking at the jewelry. I bought some brass candlestick holders which I thought looked nice (I love brass and enjoy it's inherent value with its copper value included as well as its functionality) The lady asked me if I was going to melt them down.

The thrift shop is run to benefit mentally handicapped people in the area but it is run by a bunch of super femi-nazis mostly. There are a few sweethearts there but jeez some of the women are just ridiculous!
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Lame

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:08 pm

First of all, your thread title is lame.

Secondly, man up and tell those old gossiping hags that YOU are the gold buyer, and anything that is gold or silver you will appreciate a phone call so that you can buy it better than 50% of its value as you suspect they are currently getting. And then you tell them that anything that they think is gold or silver that you'll look at it for free and tell them what it is.

You have NO control over others. You CAN control yourself. You're complaining that the old hags caught on? Do you think they are monkeys? Of course they were going to figure it out. Be happy that you had it good when you did, cheapskate. And throw the unfortunate a bone or two. Someday you might become the needy or meek... and then the Earth is yours :)
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Thogey » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:19 pm

Market Harmony wrote:First of all, your thread title is lame.

Secondly, man up and tell those old gossiping hags that YOU are the gold buyer, and anything that is gold or silver you will appreciate a phone call so that you can buy it better than 50% of its value as you suspect they are currently getting. And then you tell them that anything that they think is gold or silver that you'll look at it for free and tell them what it is.

You have NO control over others. You CAN control yourself. You're complaining that the old hags caught on? Do you think they are monkeys? Of course they were going to figure it out. Be happy that you had it good when you did, cheapskate. And throw the unfortunate a bone or two. Someday you might become the needy or meek... and then the Earth is yours :)

Image :lol:
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Tantalar » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:21 pm

LoL I work at a gas station and make less than the fixed income social security collecting people who come in complaining about being poor as they buy carton after carton of cigarettes and tons of lotto. I do buy other things that I use there but I would expect that I would at least be treated the same as anyone else who is looking to both help an organization and get something I would enjoy. I mean why put something for sale with a price tag on it and then scowl at someone who buys it? Most of the stuff ends up on my girlfriend's wrist anyway. And yeah I really should get into buying gold and silver scrap. I think I need to get some testing kits but I am just unsure if its an investment that I am prepared to make because I know that outside of this one small place which rarely gets in gold or silver anyway, there is no other real source
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Snake42 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:34 pm

Dude I know exactly what you are saying. If you try and make money with anything other than a 9-5 you are looked down on.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Pennybug » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:54 pm

Snake42 wrote:Dude I know exactly what you are saying. If you try and make money with anything other than a 9-5 you are looked down on.

YEP! Somehow if you get a GREAT deal in life and catch break (even if it is off of someone else's ignorance)... YOU are the bad guy! I've learned that I just don't care about what others think. If some old lady wants to sell her late husbands gold coins for $50 cause that's what it says on them... so long as I tell her what they are and their value... if she wants to sell it... I say fine. You want to try to sell a box of unsearched half dollars for $3K... go ahead! If you're dumb enough to buy them... then I say "hey... its your right to sell them and someone else's right to buy them". The ULTIMATE problem with America is that there are simply too many people who walk around purely ignorant to SOOOOO much of life... and will spend their money WITHOUT researching or learning... and then there is a MAJOR part of the population (LIBERALS) who say "NO NO!... You can't take that from them... they are poor and that's not fair! Let's make a law to prevent that. And... since they are poor and ignorant... let's take some of your stuff and give it to them." Instead... why not try to EDUCATE people and then give them the freedom to make their own choice. HEY!!!! I GOT IT!!!! Let's form a Nation that's based on that! We'll have it ruled and governed by... I don't know.... let's say a constitution with.... get this... ELECTED officials! Then... we can have those ELECTED officials HELP EDUCATE people instead of giving out handouts for ignorance. Too bad there isn't a Nation left on earth that ACTUALLY exists like that.

Sorry for the rant... I'm just SICK of the liberal mentality!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:17 pm

hey Pennybug, you know what i dont like? i dont like that reference to my post about the scum trying to sell 500 FV Halves for 3K and it feels to me, you cast me in with "liberals", when in essence it up to us capitalists to POLICE OUR OWN, and not just say, "oh they stoopid, they deserve what get by not being educated". True capitalists realize the sanctity of the market must be preserved at all costs, and not just to allow the greedy screwheads to come in and RAPE people, these greedy screwheads are WORSE than any commie, in fact, guess who our biggest trading partner is? the biggest commie nation of all, the PEOPLES republic of China, and the screwheads and the chinese have KILLED the middle class. So any true blood capitalist is a man above reproach, a square dealer, because he realizes the responsibility of the free market.

and Market Harmony, i sure did like that cyber bitch slapping you done gave...no offense tantalar, but a question, why you buying jewelry to put on a women's wrist?, my tribe knows that ANY PM is to hoard and stash, not to wear and flash.

one more thing, Thomas Jefferson is one of my hero's, he is called a "classical liberal"...so i guess, i'm a classical liberal.

so before you slam me, you might wanna study up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:33 pm

Neil,

Let's go get drunk together sometime.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Thogey wrote:Neil,

i'm on brother........i'm writing this from a hospital bed....just had to sit on a anti-biotic resistant URI for a few days, but i'm there.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:43 pm

neilgin1 wrote:

i'm on brother........i'm writing this from a hospital bed....just had to sit on a anti-biotic resistant URI for a few days, but i'm there.

Holy Crap!

Get well soon, and get the hell out of that hospital as soon as you can.

Those are where the scary germs are. Knocking out a prayer for you.
Thogey

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:52 pm

Thogey wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:

Holy Crap!

Get well soon, and get the hell out of that hospital as soon as you can.

Those are where the scary germs are. Knocking out a prayer for you.

God bless you Thog....i like hospitals, especially when they generous with the opiates, and i like hanging with the white girl nurses we have in the upper midwest here........gone next my next wife out that pool..watch. lol....thanks for the prayers, i covet them, and i send them to you........your shipmate, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Snake42 wrote:Dude I know exactly what you are saying. If you try and make money with anything other than a 9-5 you are looked down on.

Basically. People act like turning a profit by flipping something is unclean, yet sucking off the government is fine and an "entitlement".
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:03 pm

there is a huge difference between turning a profit, and preying upon the desperate, the fearful and the weak, especially during a time when OUR COUNTRYMEN are hurting so bad...........and just desperate enough to make moves prudence wouldnt allow.......

and please dont even tell me that these banksters, that these Boeing's and GE's and Haliburtons aint "sucking off the government" 100 times larger that any pressed individual.....why is the lonely individual, hungry, without hope scorned, while those who take bribes, are corrupt, are given a free ride in their greed and rapacious?

is there no justice in this land? Havent any men read your Bible?....who God, who Jesus heaps the most scorn on?
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:27 pm

Who said anything about General Electric? Snake was just commenting on how people will act like you're weird if you bargain hunt for coins and jewelry in thrift stores and flea markets and such. Most modern Americans have lost the marketplace spirit - they just want to get a salary and buy what they need from a box store. I've been to gun shows where sellers act like you are an A-hole for trying to get them to come down, when in any South American, Asian, or Arab culture that is just part of the normal marketplace process.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:01 am

That's not what he's saying.

Given is the fact: nothing is more irritating than a communist who thinks profit is wrong.

You know what square dealing is. Dealing square is not trying to convince someone that an item is worth more than you know it is worth.

If the buyer and seller disagree on the value, you negotiate.

I know you would not take down an ignorant buyer, that's not you Bill.

You guys are discussing different issues.

As cold hearted and ruthless as I am, I believe neil is right. That's why I can always do business with the same person twice, and make a profit.

I've taken weak people down before (I sold cars for a while). I hate what I did. I am ashamed of it.
Thogey

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:11 am

true...i am a mercantilist, a capitalist, a trader, and there is that feeling that if you REALLY TRADE, the uniniated look down on us, to which i say "[fluff] 'em". the price is, where the price trades. i takes me profits, i takes me losses, i dont squeal whine or moan. That said i will never ignore my brother or sister, who is hurting, hungry and helpless, when i CAN help, nor will i cast scorn upon them, when indeed i know that the biggest welfare recipients of all are the those who have their greedy mouths attached to the teet of the military industrial complex, which my hero President Eisenhower warned us about in his last address to the nation...now what does this all have to do with us?........the game is, "they" try to divide us over that one last "cookie"...now most of them men on this forum are three to five to ten steps ahead of the common clod adrift in America, we know the peril of leaning on the FRN, we know the supremacy of the value of hard money, silver coins and such, but i believe to us is given a great responsibility, meaning we only survive thru communitas, the romantic lone wolf is fantasy, united we stand, divided we fall.....and there MIGHT come a time when we are called to LEAD in our small neck of the woods...or at least have a voice, and i say let our voices ring out true, straight and noble.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby aristobolus » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:23 am

neilgin1 wrote:there is a huge difference between turning a profit, and preying upon the desperate, the fearful and the weak, especially during a time when OUR COUNTRYMEN are hurting so bad...........and just desperate enough to make moves prudence wouldnt allow.......

and please dont even tell me that these banksters, that these Boeing's and GE's and Haliburtons aint "sucking off the government" 100 times larger that any pressed individual.....why is the lonely individual, hungry, without hope scorned, while those who take bribes, are corrupt, are given a free ride in their greed and rapacious?

is there no justice in this land? Havent any men read your Bible?....who God, who Jesus heaps the most scorn on?

Amen
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby merchoarder » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:32 am

neilgin1 wrote:true...i am a mercantilist, a capitalist, a trader, and there is that feeling that if you REALLY TRADE, the uniniated look down on us, to which i say "[fluff] 'em". the price is, where the price trades. i takes me profits, i takes me losses, i dont squeal whine or moan. That said i will never ignore my brother or sister, who is hurting, hungry and helpless, when i CAN help, nor will i cast scorn upon them, when indeed i know that the biggest welfare recipients of all are the those who have their greedy mouths attached to the teet of the military industrial complex, which my hero President Eisenhower warned us about in his last address to the nation...now what does this all have to do with us?........the game is, "they" try to divide us over that one last "cookie"...now most of them men on this forum are three to five to ten steps ahead of the common clod adrift in America, we know the peril of leaning on the FRN, we know the supremacy of the value of hard money, silver coins and such, but i believe to us is given a great responsibility, meaning we only survive thru communitas, the romantic lone wolf is fantasy, united we stand, divided we fall.....and there MIGHT come a time when we are called to LEAD in our small neck of the woods...or at least have a voice, and i say let our voices ring out true, straight and noble.

Wow, I've been following this thread and I agree and disagree with parts on both sides of the argument but I must say that this paragraph from Neil is a beauty, well said friend...
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Tantalar » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:26 am

if you don't take advantage of a sucker someone else will. I think it was Amarillo slim who said it was a sin not to take money from a fool. It's like in poker. What are you going to do if someone at the casino is just dumping money away at the table because they are drunk and hopeless and suck at poker? Do you tell them that they should go home or do you rake in their cash? Because if you don't take their $ someone else will.

There's a lady who comes in and buys $200 in scratch tickets every day. She throws away all of her tickets that she thinks lost. She is a cranky heffer who is always rude and unpleasant when she comes in. I have found a $60, $50, $50, and $40 winner this year from just double checking her tickets. I should tell her and give her the winnings? If there's an item priced to go in a thrift shop in the jewelry section should I mention that maybe it's value is more, despite not even knowing if it really is silver or gold or the purity stamped on it? When I am at a tag sale should I give someone a ton more than they are asking because I know something is worth more than they are asking? If a coin dealer is selling coins for half their melt value should I tell him?

The very act of coin dumping, and CRH in itself is INCREDIBLY improper and absolutely inappropriate... but I love it and it is fun and that's basically what we all do. Do what you can with what you can because once the SHTF you'll wish you did more. Right now I am basically in poverty so I will take what I can get when I can get it!

Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:45 am

Tantalar, been really thinking about your post....not thinking bad about you, or judging you. no!

who am i to judge another man? nobody, a vapor.

one thing touched me, and it was when you wrote that you were basically living in poverty, and i found myself praying that God turn that situation to your good, and you might think me the fool, i DO believe that prayer never returns void, so get ready.

been thinking a lot about the term "SHTF"....heck brother, i been thinking about that since i was ten, in 1970, actively. i prefer to call the whole thing, "grid down", but thats just me.

Tell you what, i will never let them, "them" being those that mimic something in a mad max movie, or them just being plain demonic spirits wedged into desperate humans, i will never let them turn me into something i'm not.

i wont go into my level of preps, but believe me when i tell you, i can and will in the appropriate situation, get medieval and just plain lethal. aint no wimps around our place. that said, embrace mercy, hope and love....because when you consider yourself ALREADY DEAD, what else do you have to lose, escept to show this impossible love in the midst of seeming darkness.

saw a movie, just a bit ago, really rung my bell called "The Book of Eli", If you havent already, i think you'll like it, its not boring.

respectfully, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Tantalar » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Tried to watch it with my girlfriend but she didn't want to watch it with me sadly. It did look bad-ass though. Some time fairly soon I know things will get better. I would be so ready to pack my bags and leave CT after their INCREASE in taxes YET AGAIN... I am really liking New Hampshire more and more but I really like playing tennis so I'm not too sure where to go for year round tennis.

Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Tantalar wrote:Tried to watch it with my girlfriend but she didn't want to watch it with me sadly. It did look bad-ass though. Some time fairly soon I know things will get better. I would be so ready to pack my bags and leave CT after their INCREASE in taxes YET AGAIN... I am really liking New Hampshire more and more but I really like playing tennis so I'm not too sure where to go for year round tennis.

ohhhh.....boy. tanta. i GOT to be frank with you. if you let a woman hoorah you into what to watch on movie night, my guess is you might not have the stones to do what needs to be done when the SHTF, and if year old tennis playing dictates your choice of retreat, you might just as well consider yourself coyote food today....please dont take offense, when guys start talking about SHTF and prepping, i gotta be real. ....and no, things are not going to be getting better anytime soon. IF you want to labor under that delusion, considering peak oil, crushing debt and the fallacy of infinite growth, just practice your swing, A, you'll be happy, and thats what its all about right, and B, who knows? you might be right...but i dont think so.

finally, "The Book of Eli" might LOOK "bad-ass" but that aint what it was all about, and i feel sad that you didnt pick up on it, but that was the message of the whole film. a lot of people didnt pick up on WHAT WAS REALLY IMPORTANT and in the future a LOT of people died, and the ones left were just left blind with no hope except what Eli carried, which was the Book, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:49 pm

neilgin1 wrote:hey Pennybug, you know what i dont like? i dont like that reference to my post about the scum trying to sell 500 FV Halves for 3K and it feels to me, you cast me in with "liberals", when in essence it up to us capitalists to POLICE OUR OWN, and not just say, "oh they stoopid, they deserve what get by not being educated". True capitalists realize the sanctity of the market must be preserved at all costs, and not just to allow the greedy screwheads to come in and RAPE people, these greedy screwheads are WORSE than any commie, in fact, guess who our biggest trading partner is? the biggest commie nation of all, the PEOPLES republic of China, and the screwheads and the chinese have KILLED the middle class. So any true blood capitalist is a man above reproach, a square dealer, because he realizes the responsibility of the free market.

and Market Harmony, i sure did like that cyber bitch slapping you done gave...no offense tantalar, but a question, why you buying jewelry to put on a women's wrist?, my tribe knows that ANY PM is to hoard and stash, not to wear and flash.

one more thing, Thomas Jefferson is one of my hero's, he is called a "classical liberal"...so i guess, i'm a classical liberal.

so before you slam me, you might wanna study up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism

OK then Neal... let's find your solution to the halves seller situation. I see two options... you may propose a 3rd (but ultimately it will fall into one of the two listed below):

#1 - The dude selling the halves MUST be stopped before he scams someone... he must be stopped by law or by force (force being forced to take down his posting).

#2 - He should be free to continue to sell those half dollars for whatever price he wants (like it or not).

By the way... I think the dude is pretty much a moron trying to sell them and I doubt that will have a buyer. But if he does... more power to him. I don't classify him as a scammer.... SO LONG AS HE IS TELLING THE TRUTH and they are unsearched rolls. If some old lady buys them... then she gets what she paid for. A SCAMMER would be if he sold them to the old lady saying that they were all silver and they were not. THAT is a LIEING SCAMMER. Not someone who just doesn't know the value of what they are selling.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:08 pm

penny, due respect that's the way the russkie's think that business is done after their commie way of doing things fell apart and the wall came down, those filthy bastards think capitalism is this: "hooray for me, and [fluff] you", they have no compunction's on intellectual property theft, no compunction s on false advertising, just like the seller of the $500 box of halves, which as you predicted nobody bought, here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/500-UNOPENED-Box-US ... 35b340b1a4

here's what he says:

"$500 UNOPENED Box US Half Dollars Bank Sealed SILVER?
UNSEARCHED BOX!!!! SILVER FOUND!!!!"

and you can say with a straight face, that is not false advertising in its implications?

you know, if you dont believe in straight shooters in a particular business cleaning up and self policing the cheap jack slimsters operating in our tent, then you and i got very little in common in the ways how business is done, if you dont stand with the straight dealers, well, then,,,,,,,,,,,
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:19 pm

Neil,

Some of us choose not to live in the gray area. I'd bet if we did an age survey we'd find those that see this auction as OK spent their formative years during the Clinton Admin.

"What I said, although legally accurate......."

"I did not have sex with that woman, not one single time, not ever"

"that depends on what the definition of is, is"

" Our missiles are no longer pointed at them" (I wish I could explain that "legally accurate" statement concerning BOA targeting)

Word smithing is a bull[excrement] way to deal with people. I for one have the gift to deceive without lying. But the line is clear and I prefer not to cross it. Nothing good comes from it, unless you talking to an [fluffy kitten] cop.
Thogey

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals