$50 of silver for $2..Little scores add up over time.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

$50 of silver for $2..Little scores add up over time.

Postby dan53 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:51 am

Whenever I go anywhere, I try to find out if nearby banks have any halves they would like to get rid of. I was gonna walk my dog at the botannical gardens so I called two nearby banks and on the first one.... the lady said she only had 5 loose halves. I asked for the dates and one was a 1964. At a second bank, I picked up $180 in halves and there were two 1964's and one 1966. So, I wound up with about $50 worth of silver for about $5.00 (gas and face value). The little scores add up over time.

If a person learns to take care of their pennies, their dollars will take care of themselves.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Re: $50 of silver for $2..Little scores add up over time.

Postby knibloe » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:12 am

Congrats on the finds. That is exactly how I have built up a nice little nest egg of silver for myself. I agree with the concept that little things add up. Yesterday I was at a customers, and in the parking lot there was some garbage:

18" of 1/2" stainless steel cable
3" of rebar
4" bolt
2" piece of copper tubing.

I figure maybe a dollar worth of scrap metal, just for bending over. I see this stuff every day at work and now have cans at home to sort into. It might take me a while to fill them, but I will have a nice payday down the road soem time.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:20 am

Just a bit of advice...When getting halves from a teller, dont ask the dates, just buy them and check dates after. Asking dates leads to tellers wondering why you care what date they are. If they are not onto silver this could very well turn them on to it.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:22 am

Ditto on AGCoinHunter...also ask for and buy all of their big dollars...Ike's you may end up with some Ike's and a Peace dollar one day. ;)
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:50 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:Just a bit of advice...When getting halves from a teller, dont ask the dates, just buy them and check dates after. Asking dates leads to tellers wondering why you care what date they are. If they are not onto silver this could very well turn them on to it.

You can get around this by telling them you need certain dates for your Dansco 8-)

To the OP, congrats on those finds! Definitely a rare occurance these days.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby dan53 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:44 am

Thanks. I rarely ask for dates. Sorted 4 boxes yesterday. 9 forties.....2 -- 64's and 2 -- Franklins. Not a big score but its $111.95 and added to monday's score, I am at $161.95 for the week and its only thursday!
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HPMBTT » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:26 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:Just a bit of advice...When getting halves from a teller, dont ask the dates, just buy them and check dates after. Asking dates leads to tellers wondering why you care what date they are. If they are not onto silver this could very well turn them on to it.

AGCoinHunter is correct. NEVER ask what the dates on the coins are; just take them all and check later when you get home. If they ever actually say, "what dates are you looking for?" .....then I always say, oh I dunno, just various dates, so that I can put them in my folder/album. If they press me further, then I usually say that even if I have the coin already, that the ones you just sold me might be a little cleaner or shinier than the ones I already got and that I'll just replace it and cash in the old ones etc. It is important to be cheerful, but vague at the same time (without being too intentionally vague so as to appear suspicious).
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dan53 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Went to three towns (or cities) and 11 banks this morning. My approach to each teller went like: Good morning! How are you? They say..I'm fine, what can I do for you? To which I reply....My nephew has me out searching for half dollars and I was just wondering if you might have some you would like to be rid of. (They are almost always happy to get rid of them cause they don't have to count them at the end of the day ). I scored at 2 of the 11 banks I went to. The best score was in 3 rolls with 28 silver coins divided amongst them.

Today's total: 25 forties, 4 nineties, 1 - 1943 british crown ( 50% silver ), and 2 presidential tokens. Today's total: ( $212.69 )

This weeks total so far: $374.64

I am debating as to whether to make a run tomorrow. Friday is the worst day of the week to make a run....but I'VE GOT THE FEVER!
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals